Kimber Varmint in 204 - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Rifles Forum

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2019, 05:31 PM   #1
K22

Kimber Varmint in 204

I don't have it yet, but it's on its way.
I couldn't stand it any longer. I've been looking at them for quite sometime now. Never have been much of a heavy barrel fan and fluted barrels aren't necessarily my thing, but I have plans.
At some point in time it will get rebarreled with a Lilja Kimber sporter contour barrel in either 204 or 17-204 and installed in a Kimber Classic stock I have laying around. Until then, it's going to be fun time. I have 300 Blackhole bullets 37gr.hp's I'm dying to try and thinking about getting some of his diamond tip he makes in 35gr.
Paper will be the main predators I'll be after, but it could end up taking a Coyote or 2 also.
I've got plenty of IMR8208 and H4895, 500 Hornady brass just waiting to be used, and plenty of Rem. 9 1/2 primers. If this one shoots any where close to the 204 Kimber Montana I have I'll be doing cartwheels...............well not actually, but I'll be happy.

Thought I needed to post this as this room is getting a bit stale.
K22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-28-2019, 10:04 AM   #2

K22: Congrats on the new Kimber on the way! I've got that exact rifle in 204....you won't be disappointed, I promise.

Mine loves the 32's, and really thrives on the 39gr SBK, averages right at .3" for all loads, some shoot in the .2's with RL-10X.

Rock chucks HATE this rifle!
2sharp2 and Gltomp like this.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 03:04 PM   #3

I was going to tell you not forget RL-10X and 39gr. SBK'S. I've had really good luck also with 35gr. Berger's and X-terninator powder.

Mine is a 24" SS fluted Pro Varmint in a blk/gray laminated stock and a Jard 16 oz. trigger. I can't shoot rifles anymore if you see someone interested at a great price and with or without a cerakoted Nightforce 12x42x56 scope.

Good luck with yours and when you find the correct powder-bullet combination, you will love it.

You can ask Rick in Oregon (RIO) to make sure, but I believe if your gun is a 1-12 twist. it probably won't shoot 40gr. bullets all that well but will with the 39 SBK's. Good luck,

Jim D

Old 03-28-2019, 03:22 PM   #4
K22

Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
K22: Congrats on the new Kimber on the way! I've got that exact rifle in 204....you won't be disappointed, I promise.

Mine loves the 32's, and really thrives on the 39gr SBK, averages right at .3" for all loads, some shoot in the .2's with RL-10X.

Rock chucks HATE this rifle!

I think it was yours that got me interested Rick. I've gotten away from heavy barrels, but after seeing yours the interest started coming back. I may have to pick up som RL-10X to try. Have you shot any of Blaine's (Blackhole Bullets) bullets in yours yet? His 30gr. in my 17 Rem. shoot very good so I'm anticipating that his 20 cal. bullets will as well.
That is some great accuracy. Really something to look forward to. Did you skim bed yours or is it still factory bedded?
Old 03-28-2019, 03:34 PM   #5
K22

Originally Posted by BCD 45 View Post
I was going to tell you not forget RL-10X and 39gr. SBK'S. I've had really good luck also with 35gr. Berger's and X-terninator powder.

Mine is a 24" SS fluted Pro Varmint in a blk/gray laminated stock and a Jard 16 oz. trigger. I can't shoot rifles anymore if you see someone interested at a great price and with or without a cerakoted Nightforce 12x42x56 scope.

Good luck with yours and when you find the correct powder-bullet combination, you will love it.

You can ask Rick in Oregon (RIO) to make sure, but I believe if your gun is a 1-12 twist. it probably won't shoot 40gr. bullets all that well but will with the 39 SBK's. Good luck,

Jim D
So sorry you are unable to shoot rifles anymore. I'll ask around. Can you give me a ball park number you are wanting?

39's would be as large as I would go on mine, but mainly 37's and 34's. I forgot I have a bunch of the Midsouth (Nosler) 34gr. bullets, so those will be tried also.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:22 PM   #6

Originally Posted by K22 View Post
I think it was yours that got me interested Rick. I've gotten away from heavy barrels, but after seeing yours the interest started coming back. I may have to pick up som RL-10X to try. Have you shot any of Blaine's (Blackhole Bullets) bullets in yours yet? His 30gr. in my 17 Rem. shoot very good so I'm anticipating that his 20 cal. bullets will as well.
That is some great accuracy. Really something to look forward to. Did you skim bed yours or is it still factory bedded?
Glad I'm a bad influence there buddy! And no more 'truck axle' barrels for me either. My Cooper Varmint's are as heavy as I care to fool with any more too.

Have not tried any of Blaine's bullets, as Nosler is only a few flaps of the crow's wings from here, I've got a good supply laid in, so don't want to start from scratch with another recipe. All my rifles shoot them into bugholes anyway. On yours, you also may want to try Benchmark. Over on the 204 Ruger forum, you'll find beaucoup loads if you care to check it out:

https://204ruger.com/viewforum.php?f=2

My Kimber is one of the few varmint rifles I have not dinked with in regard to bedding. It shot so well new, that I figured it "wasn't broke", so unless it starts acting up, she'll stay with the factory bedding, which by the way seemed just fine and well done for a production rifle.

One more thing; you may already know this, but the 204 SAAMI chamber spec's call for a hellishly long throat, so forget any ideas of reaching the lands with any bullet to 40 grains. And as BCD mentioned, many if not most factory 204's will not properly stabilize bullets heavier than 40 grains, as most are long-for-weight for the 12 twist. The 39gr SBK will be your "heavy" friend, as it shoots very well in almost every factory 204 I'm aware of.

You'll love the rifle and caliber.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:06 AM   #7
K22

Update on the new Kimber Varmint.
Yesterday was the day I was to receive it so I was pretty excited to see what time they were delivering it to my FFL Dealer. When I checked the tracking it said "out for delivery" and Fedex usually stops around 9:30 at the shop. But wait, out for delivery in New York and I live in North Carolina...
Called the business that shipped it and oops looks like we made a mistake. We'll contact the New York shop and get them to send it back to us and then we'll re-send it to your shop.
What a bummer.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:05 AM   #8
K22

Whew hew. It finally arrived. Now to get the barrel cleaned and some lock ease spread down it, then lower the trigger poundage, and bases, rings, and scope installed. Then on to working up loads.
Fun, fun, fun.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:48 AM   #9

Hey Rick, Have you had any luck with RL10x and 32 gr. weight bullets? I tried some Nosler 32's with 10x yesterday and didn't have the greatest luck but not terrible. I was using CCI 400 primers and up to 25.6 gr. Maybe I didn't go hot enough..
Pegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:44 AM   #10

Pegasus, my face is red. I shamelessly recommended RL-10 for your Kimber 84M 204. That's the "magic" powder for three of my 204 rifles, but NOT for my Kimber....go figure. Sorry for the bogus powder recommendation.

In my Kimber 204, it turned out that for 32gr bullets (Nosler BT), Benchmark is the hot ticket....in my rifle. My load of 26.0grs of Benchmark and a Rem 7-1/2 primer in WW cases (fully prepped) has shot groups in the mid-3's. I'm loading as long as I can to fit the magazine.

My other 204's are a Sako M75 Varmint, Cooper M21 MTV, and a custom M700 11-twist that all thrive on RL-10X. But for that Kimber, Benchmark may turn out to be your friend.