• 9 Post By Booner180
  • 3 Post By Booner180
  • 6 Post By K22
  • 1 Post By Rick in Oregon
  • 3 Post By K22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2019, 03:50 PM   #1

Angry Limited Edition 6.5

I ordered a Classic LE in 6.5 about two months ago. It arrived Friday at the local dealer. I unpacked the rifle and removed the bolt from its factory sealed packaging. Upon placing the bolt into the receiver I noticed the safety was in the fire position. As I tried to move the safety I quickly realized the safety will not move. Period. It is stuck in the fire position. This does not allow the bolt to be placed into the gun fully. I called Kimber and the guy asks me a few questions and then asks me to send the gun back for service. He sent me a shipping label and says they will work on it and it will take 4-6 weeks for it to return to me. Anyone have any ideas or also had this problem? Pretty frustrating after nearly two months waiting for its arrival.
Booner180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-25-2019, 04:29 PM   #2

Sorry to hear, hopefully it comes back earlier than expected.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:36 AM   #3

Humm, something is amiss here.

Any time a rifle is fired, the safety would be in the "fire" position in order for it to fire. If the bolt is then removed as would be normal for cleaning, it should then go right back in without any issues.

Your safety is in the "fire" position you say.....so the bolt should go right back in after depressing the bolt release if needed for an easy slip-in.

I would not send the rifle to the mothership until you really check this out. I've had controlled round rifles in my battery since 1968, and never had this problem....ever. This includes pre-64 Winchester M70's, Mausers, and of course Kimber 84M.

You are missing something here, maybe the bolt release stiff or some other minor part interfering with the bolt replacement, as the safety at this point really has no bearing on replacing the bolt into the action.
Chuck43, 2sharp2, JC45 and 2 others like this.
Rick in Oregon is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2019, 06:55 PM   #4

It is a different bird than my Remington 788, and I must push the safety forward to allow the bolt to slide into the receiver.
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:15 PM   #5

Thanks much for the reply. I went back to the gun and looked at it carefully. After working with it the bolt did fully engage into the action on fire. It was very very stiff. Once fully inserted into the action the safety began to move freely to all three positions. Boy do I feel stupid. Lol. Anyway thank you for taking the time to comment.
2sharp2, Hoffbrew, DaVinci and 6 others like this.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:41 AM   #6

@Booner180, firearms can have many differing options. I don't think I could even take apart a rifle for cleaning, it's been many years since I handled a bolt-action.

The guys here are friendly and helpful. You'll be amazed at their depth of knowledge.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:56 PM   #7

I’ll agree. I have learned much from these guys just from reading. 1911’s are my thing. I live in a state which allows shotguns and muzzleloaders up until a few years ago for deer. They opened straight cases rifles. And just recently opened rifles. I’ve always been a muzzleloader guy for deer. I have a couple of AR’s but this is my first bolt action rifle. So I’m not afraid to say I am a greenhorn with this type of gun. Have a couple of nice trips planned and look forward to seeing what this guy will do out west and up north.
Chuck43, The Tourist and Jflytle like this.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:10 AM   #8
K22

Booner, you are going to love that rifle. I've got one also........no photo's yet...........that I used this Deer season. I'm a meat hunter so I don't shoot monster bucks in general. I'm also a handloader and the 6.5 Creedmore is a new one for me which required ordering all the components. Everything arrived just in time to work up a load before opening day, but, why is there always a "but", the brass was faulty, bad primer pockets.
Long story short, I bought some factory Hornady Whitetail loads that uses the boring ol' 129gr. Interlock bullet. It seem to shoot these pretty good so I bought a spare box.
10 minutes into opening day I shot my buck at approximately 45ft. A true chipshot. Hit him square in the chest and it literally flipped him over backwards. He died with all 4 feet in the air.
That was pretty impressive even if it was practically right at the end of the muzzle.
So, I can honestly say that my Limited Edition 6.5 Creedmore is very accurate out to 45ft.
K22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 10:59 AM   #9

Originally Posted by K22 View Post
So, I can honestly say that my Limited Edition 6.5 Creedmore is very accurate out to 45ft.
K22: HA! That will most likely be the shortest shot you ever get. I've hunted mule deer and elk in the west since I first started hunting seriously after returning to "the world" in 1968. In all that time, the shortest shot was in black timber elk hunting, shot a nice bull with a "Texas heart shot" with my .338-06 Ackley at 36 paces.

I thought THAT was about the closest shot I'd ever experience, and in all those years of hunting since, it has been. Usually it's 100 to 400 yards. Yours at 45' is another story altogether!

Great way to break-in a new rifle!
2sharp2 likes this.
Rick in Oregon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 07:33 AM   #10
K22

In all that time, the shortest shot was in black timber elk hunting, shot a nice bull with a "Texas heart shot" with my .338-06 Ackley at 36 paces.
Holy Cow....pun intended.........oh wait, it was a Bull...........I take that pun back..........an Elk at 36 paces would look closer than a little mountain Deer at 45' I'm thinking. Great story and .......it also proves you have a very accurate .338-06AI .

Concerning the bad brass: the brass was Hornady and a favorite of mine. Anyway, Hornady wanted me to send them back to them which I did. They sent me an email and then called me to tell me their findings. They are replacing them. Hornady in my opinion is one of the better companies producing components for reloading. They've pioneered some great calibers recently with the 6.5 Creedmore being one of them.

So now I'll be finding out how well my Kimber likes my loads of 129gr. Hornady Interlocks in front of RL16.
K22 is offline   Reply With Quote