Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By 2sharp2
  • 3 Post By Rick in Oregon
  • 1 Post By manndou
  • 1 Post By K22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2020, 09:23 AM   #1

Kimber Hunter rifle trigger adjustment

I am looking for assistance in how to adjust trigger pull weight on my rifle. I have a Kimber Hunter Boot Campaign 7mm-08. I am currently working on breaking the barrel in, but need to reduce pull weight. I'm told by other owners that sending the rifle back to Kimber and having it adjusted down to 2 pounds, will not work as they will not do it for liability reasons. Looking for any information, website, instructions on how to do this. I could find nothing on YouTube.
manndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-11-2020, 09:44 AM   #2

Manndou, welcome to the site from Tennessee.

Your correct Kimber will not decrease the trigger pull of your rifle.

Rick or one of the other "rifle guys" may have a suggestion for you...it's over my head.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:53 AM   #3

Adjustment screws

I've read the top screw should be left as is, over-travel, as well as the back screw, sear engagement. The only screw to adjust is the bottom one. I am assuming by loosening the small lock nut and turning small the socket head set screw inward will reduce the pull weight? All of my screws had factory applied red LocTite on them. I will apply either the same or finger nail polish to mine after making adjustment. I just want to hear from others on their opinions before I make any adjustments. Thanks.

manndou

Old 01-11-2020, 09:57 AM   #4

This is just me but I feel you should complete your break-in rounds and maybe add a hundred or so before changing anything?? my .02
manndou likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:11 AM   #5

Adjusting a Kimber rifle trigger is really no different from any other bolt gun, as long as the identity of each screw is known.

As you have identified the sear engagement screw, the overtravel screw and the weight of pull screw, the drill is:

* Cock the empty rifle action
* Safety off
* Screw in the overtravel screw until it gets snug. Try to 'fire' the rifle. Keep unscrewing it until the trigger just releases, then back it off further 1/4 turn for safety.
* Once determined to be safe with the 'stock bump' on the floor and the bolt slam drill to ensure no AD possible, you can adjust the weight of pull screw to your desired pull weight and have a safe rifle.
* Adjusting the sear engagement is not a good idea, it's adjusted at the factory for safety. If you feel it really needs tweaking, let a competent smith do it for you, but doing so may/will negate your factory warranty.

IMHO, a hunting rifle trigger should not be adjusted to less than 3 lbs. It's your choice, but as a precision shooter and life-long hunter, my bench/varmint rifles wear 10 oz. triggers, but my deer/antelope rifles are all set at 3 lbs. My elk rifle is 4 lbs because I'm usually wearing gloves.

Let us know how it goes, should not be too much of an issue.
2sharp2, Gltomp and motormac like this.

Last edited by Rick in Oregon; 01-11-2020 at 01:43 PM.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 07:47 AM   #6

Thank you 2Sharp2 and Rick. 2S2 - I certainly have plenty more rounds to shoot- this from pulling bullets that were loaded for my previous 08 that I sold. So, I’ll take your advice.

Rick, appreciate your feedback and I will be checking my pull wt by taking average of 15-20 tests via my gauge. I like to run these tests in cold and warmer weather as well as using aggressive bolt throws to ensure proper safety. I have an older Tikka (658) in .30-06 that is a gem of a rifle, trigger set at 2.5#s. I’ve never had issues since 2005. BUT, I’m 58 now and things (physically -me) change. That said Rick I’m taking your suggestion and adjusting to 3 pounds.

Thank you guys for your help and suggestions!

Doug
2sharp2 likes this.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:50 AM   #7

Kimber trigger pull adjustments

Thank you 2Sharp2 and Rick. 2S2 - I certainly have plenty more rounds to shoot- this from pulling bullets that were loaded for my previous 08 that I sold. So, Iíll take your advice.

Rick, appreciate your feedback and I will be checking my pull wt by taking average of 15-20 tests via my gauge. I like to run these tests in cold and warmer weather as well as using aggressive bolt throws to ensure proper safety. I have an older Tikka (658) in .30-06 that is a gem of a rifle, trigger set at 2.5#s. Iíve never had issues since 2005. BUT, Iím 58 now and things (physically -me) change. That said Rick Iím taking your suggestion and adjusting to 3 pounds.

Thank you guys for your help and suggestions!

Doug
Old 01-12-2020, 04:48 PM   #8
K22

Kimber triggers are very easy to adjust. And like one of the posters said, I would only adjust the trigger lbs. screw which is the bottom screw on the front of the trigger. Loosen the nut and then turn the screw outwards. The screw is an allen head and I would turn it 1 to 1 1/2 turns, then check the pull weight. All of mine are set at 2.5lbs. except the rimfires, they are much less.
Be sure and check the pull weight again after you reassemble the rifle.

If you ever send the rifle into Kimber for a repair or for anything be sure and reset the trigger weight to at least 3.5lbs. If you don't they will have a real screamin' hissy fit and want to charge you $150.00 to replace the trigger, which you can negotiate down to $75.00 and they will only adjust it back to 3 plus lbs.
Rogeroge likes this.
K22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

how to adjust kimber hunter trigger

Click on a term to search for related topics.