Am I asking too much - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Rifles Forum

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2020, 09:09 AM   #1

Am I asking too much

I have owned a Kimber Montana in 7 WSM for nearly a decade. I have something like 500 rounds through it with different bullets, powders, seating depths etc. On itís best day itís a 1.2-1.3Ē , three shot group at 100 yards rifle. And yes I can shoot, I regularly shoot very small groups with other rifles and have competed at bench rest successfully in the past. I am also aware of different shooting techniques with lightweight rifles.
I have known others who had similar, and worse, problems with this rifle make and model. Now that kind of accuracy will indeed kill a lot of game in a lot of different situations. I believe however that these days I could expect a little more out of what is marketed as an above average quality firearm.
Any input is appreciated.
Bwest270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-14-2020, 01:42 PM   #2

Welcome from NY. I'm sure a rifle guy will ba along shortly..
Old 01-14-2020, 01:59 PM   #3

Originally Posted by Bwest270 View Post
I believe however that these days I could expect a little more out of what is marketed as an above average quality firearm.
I completely agree!

It appears you're an experienced shooter, so we'll not discuss basics, as it appears you've tried various loads and techniques with that Kimber.

That said, have you checked the bedding? Especially around the recoil lug. Is the stock touching the barrel anywhere? Action screws not too long and snugged properly? Is the crown perfect? Scope mount screws not too long and touching the barrel or bolt?

Have you checked fired cases on a concentricity gauge? Any anomalies there would indicate chamber issues.

The WSM family is not really known to be stellar accurate, but you're right, you should/could expect more from a rifle in this price range. If all fails, I'd contact the Mothership for guidance, as if this is as good as that rifle can do, it's still not worthy of the Kimber name. I'd make the call to sort it out if you can't determine the accuracy issue, as the factory advertising touts how accurate these light rifles are.

My Kimber 84M Varmint in 204 will cut ragged holes at 100 yds with my pet load. Yours should do at least half as good as that. Good luck with the rifle, and let us know how it shakes out later.
bigdog10, 2sharp2, JC45 and 3 others like this.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2020, 04:12 PM   #4

Bwest270, welcome to the site from Tennessee.

I agree with Rick's post.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:20 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Bwest270, how about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:37 PM   #6

Bad / loose scope?
motormac likes this.
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:17 PM   #7

Iíd say the same things as Rick. Bedding and free float are likely culprits. Generally WSMs are good shoot cartridges. I wondered if you shoot cup and cores, bonded, or Monos. I have seen guns that love one type over the others. I was wondering about cheek weld too. Iím sure your competition guns are tricked out both stocks and triggers. Whatís the trigger break at? Youíre really off only off a little. Iíd expect you could get it down to 0.5Ē with all the reloader tricks. You didnít mention primer choices. Some powder and cases, it will matter. On loads I have where it matters, CCI shines. Winchesterís often work well, but sometimes, I have to park them for other brands. The perfect primer could give you and extra 0.5-0.75Ē. How tight is your SD on your handloads?
That did remind me, neck tension is important. Are you annealing your cases?... that could close that gap.

Update us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2sharp2 and motormac like this.
mjcmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:03 AM   #8
K22

I'll throw in my .02 worth, which is not much different from what Rick posted.
Until recently the front action screw on Kimbers would bottom out on the barrel threads and the front screw on some scope bases would also bottom out on the barrel threads. Shortening them cured that issue....of course. The magazine box in most Montana's and in some Classic/Classic Select models are to tight and need shortened. Magazine boxes need to be loose.
Bedding and free floating has already been mentioned. Kimber beds their rifles with a slave action.
K22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:51 AM   #9

Hi, new to kimbertalk but not new to the firearms/shooting.

There is a thread that goes through some common fixes on the Kimber rifles. I'll see if I can find a link and post it up.
jpndave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:59 AM   #10

Here is one to start with, many common issues addressed. I'll see if I can find the others.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ight-checklist
bouree likes this.
jpndave is offline   Reply With Quote