Scope base plugs looks odd on Kimber MA - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Rifles Forum

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2020, 11:33 AM   #1

Scope base plugs looks odd on Kimber MA

Just picked up my "factory new" Kimber MA in 6.5 from the FFL yesterday. Online order from a well reviewed gunbroker seller.

The scope base plugs look odd. From my research on you tube and the forums, they should match the stainless color and need a 1/16 allen key to remove. Also all the pictures I see online show them as flush. In the booklet parts list, they are listed as part #4.

However, what I see on my rifle are philips head screws which are not fully flush (attached pic). They look like something picked up from a hardware store.
I have contacted the seller and they claim that is how they come from the factory.
Has anyone else seen this on a factory new Kimber rifle?
I am concerned that these ain't factory "plugs" and has the potential to cause damage to the mounting threads.

Interestingly the Talley scope bases were missing from the box and the seller has agreed to send me a replacement.
My local FFL only had possession of the rifle for less than 24 hours, so I do not think they would have messed around with the scope base plugs.

Rifle looks good otherwise. Wee bit of grime on the bolt face which could be from factory test firing. Muzzle device was kinda loose - not even hand tight.
I do plan to call Kimber first thing Monday to find out more, but thought I would check with y'all to be better informed before my call with them. I am hoping those are indeed a different kind of factory scope base plug - but till I am sure, I am holding off on doing any mounting etc.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200214_220506.jpg (741.0 KB, 6 views)
bouree is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-15-2020, 03:23 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum bouree, how about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership. Tell us something about yourself, your interests, hobbies and where your located.
Old 02-15-2020, 03:48 PM   #3

Boure, welcome to the site from Tennessee. Congrats on the Mountain Accent.

None of the rifles I bought were new from Kimber.

Rick in Oregon should have some insight for you.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2020, 05:45 PM   #4
K22

All the new Kimbers are coming with the phillips head plugs now. I don't remember when they changed but the last 3 I've bought new had phillips heads.

Welcome to the forum.
K22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 01:49 PM   #5

Thanks K22. Certainly good to know!!
Old 02-17-2020, 03:39 PM   #6

The phillips head screws don't really match the barrel and look a little cheap however should be a mute point. They won't stay in there very long, I assume on a 6.5 your going to add a scope. OK, so Kimber saved a few cents per unit.
motormac likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:10 PM   #7

Kimber finally got back to my query and they confirmed what K22 said. The Philips head is what they ship with.
Also my seller was very responsive in sending me the missing Talley scope rings by 2nd day air.
Next step - wait for my dewey rod, jags and brushes and then do the bore clean

I treated myself to a Leupold FX3 6x42 and hope to have it mounted soon. Cant wait for that first range trip!!
Old 02-21-2020, 05:27 AM   #8
K22

I hoping you picked up a bore guide to go along with your Dewey rod.
K22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:21 AM   #9

Originally Posted by bouree View Post
I treated myself to a Leupold FX3 6x42 and hope to have it mounted soon. Cant wait for that first range trip!!
Congrats on the new firestick. The 6.5 is now the darling of the LR crowd as you most likely know by now.

But I'm seriously thinking you may want to reconsider your scope choice, as you'll soon run out of magnification shooting a LR rifle with only 6X available. All my LR rifles wear 6.5-20X's, and sometimes when engaging very small targets (ground squirrels), I wish I had more out past 500 yards.

Give this some thought before you wind up with a nice scope that's seriously underpowered for what you want to do. Over 50 years behind a rifle has taught me this. Just sayin'......
Gltomp and motormac like this.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 02:59 PM   #10

Thanks Rick. Scope choice is such a struggle!! The Leupold did come in last week - but haven't mounted it yet.

I run the 4-16x Nikon Side Focus on my Rem700 varmint in 308, though I am yet to push it beyond 300yds. I am planning to move to a Rail + QD config on the Rem - so while I am at it, I will use the Nikon with the Kimber and see how it pairs.
But eventually I plan to maintain the Kimber as a light hunting rig (the Nikon QD will move between my Rem 700 and CZ 455 Varmint that I use for matches)

I have a fixed power 4x Nikon Rimfire on my squirrel gun and I like the simplicity of the fixed power. I have also heard anecdotes of zero being more reliable on fixed power scopes.

I hope to do some deer hunting (maybe out west) at some point and hopefully with the 6x, I should be well prepared when the opportunity presents itself. I was even thinking of a 4x fixed as the FOV on the 6x feels smaller in case something close presents itself. But went with the 6x as a best of both worlds.

I was torn about the 6.5 as it is not quite recommended for the larger critters like elk - but it is unlikely I will pursue game that large. But recoil in a light rifle is better in 6.5 and factory ammo is easily available. And I saw a decent deal on this rifle, so I clicked on "buy"!!

Anyway, that's how my thought pattern is evolving for now - feedback from the experienced is most welcome!!
motormac likes this.