Barrel Break In On A Mountain Ascent - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Rifles Forum

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2016, 05:23 PM   #1

Barrel Break In On A Mountain Ascent

Hello all I'm a new-be to the forum but not to Kimber.
I have a question about barrel break in on the new Kimber Ascent Rifle in 7MM. I picked my up today after waiting 3 days shy of 6 months for it.Is there a barrel break in on this gun if so can someone give me an idea what needs to be done. I sure want this to be done right on this baby…….

Thanks BridgerMT
BridgerMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-18-2016, 08:41 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Since you're not getting any suggestions, and I'm not a rifle guy....have you read the owners manual and if so, what do they recommend? How about YouTube? You can usually find just about anything there. Google? Just some thoughts.
2sharp2 likes this.

Ohio Chl holder
NRA member
Old age isn't for sissy's
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:46 PM   #3

Originally Posted by Islander View Post
Since you're not getting any suggestions, and I'm not a rifle guy....have you read the owners manual and if so, what do they recommend? How about YouTube? You can usually find just about anything there. Google? Just some thoughts.
Owner manual has nothing read it cover to cover yes really I did lol
Will check there to thanks
Galco Holsters Kimber Logos
NRA Member

I Love All My Kimbers I Sleep With Them When My Wife Wont

Old 02-19-2016, 06:24 AM   #4

Originally Posted by BridgerMT View Post
Owner manual has nothing read it cover to cover yes really I did lol
Will check there to thanks
If there is a barrel break-in required, Kimber should include the need in the manual. So, and this is your call, not mine...my SOP when this happens is to do my own break-in routine:

- The theory is to NOT overheat the barrel during break-in. Assuming you have cleaned and oiled your new rifle, start with firing a small number of rounds, and work your way through a box of shells (about 20 rounds).

- Here is what I do...fire 3 rounds and let the gun rest until it is cool. Then fire 3 more and let it set to cool down. Do this until the gun is noticeably cooler after the 3-round firing. Finally, clean and inspect barrel for any fouling or scoring. Oil and you are done.

Hope this helps.
BridgerMT likes this.
OGCA - Life Member
Cybercycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 06:25 AM   #5
Super Moderator

OK since no one else is suggesting anything I'll take a stab at it.

First I'd call Kimber ask whose barrel they use on their guns then contact that barrel manufacture and ask what they recommend.

30 years ago when I was roaming the west hunting everything I could get a license for and having rifles built for competitive shooting the break in procedure we used was as follows.

First we'd thoroughly clean the new barrel then fire a single shot, clean the barrel and fire a single shot, we'd do this for 10 shots.

Then we'd go to 3 shot groups cleaning thoroughly between each 3 shot groups for a series of 10 groups.

Finally we'd shoot 5 shot groups cleaning between each group for 10 groups.

For what it's worth that's the way we did it and it worked for us, with good loads my long guns were all capable of sub MOA groups if I did my part. I'm sure that technology has advanced things in the barrel world and what we did might not apply or be necessary today.
Joesmoe3, cousinmark and BridgerMT like this.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:46 AM   #6

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
OK since no one else is suggesting anything I'll take a stab at it.

First I'd call Kimber ask whose barrel they use on their guns then contact that barrel manufacture and ask what they recommend.

30 years ago when I was roaming the west hunting everything I could get a license for and having rifles built for competitive shooting the break in procedure we used was as follows.

First we'd thoroughly clean the new barrel then fire a single shot, clean the barrel and fire a single shot, we'd do this for 10 shots.

Then we'd go to 3 shot groups cleaning thoroughly between each 3 shot groups for a series of 10 groups.

For what it's worth that's the way we did it and it worked for us, with good loads my long guns were all capable of sub MOA groups if I did my part. I'm sure that technology has advanced things in the barrel world and what we did might not apply or be necessary today.

Hey Chuck Thanks,
I have been breaking in barrel on all my new rifles for 18 to 20 years and have always done it pretty close to what you posted. Just didn't know if it would be any different on the Kimber.I think I will do it the way I have always done it.
Thanks Again for the input..
Chuck43 likes this.
NRA Member

Old 02-19-2016, 12:24 PM   #7

Okay so I called Kimber on this matter they said clean it first.
Then shoot 2 shots clean it, shoot 2 shots clean, so on and so on for 10 times should be good to go 20 rounds total. They also said that the way I have broke in other guns 1 shot clean 1 shot clean for 10 than 3 shots clean for 5 times then 5 shots clean would also be fine as well 30 rounds total.Moral of the story Shoot clean Shoot clean Shoot clean blah blah blah LOL...

Got Info Straight From The Horses Mouth..
Chuck43 likes this.
NRA Member

Old 07-15-2016, 01:06 PM   #8

Interesting. I just bought a Montana Rifle Company rifle, and they included in the box (NOT the owner's manual) a single sheet of 8-1/2x11 sheet of paper describing the recommended break-in of their barrel, and it reads almost identically to what you wrote - minus the ten groups of five shots. And that was a brand new 2016 manufacture item, so I would suggest your text is still quite relevant today.

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post

Chuck43 likes this.
Joesmoe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:07 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Thank you for your response to the way I was taught to break in rifle barrels. It's good to hear that sometimes the old ways which are not always the fastest in this day of instant gratification still work.
2sharp2, Joesmoe3 and JC45 like this.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:07 AM   #10

I think "Uncle Chuck" is on the money with his procedure. I might add that using a high quality rod and tips is important too. Brownells has about the best selection I've found. I've found "GUNBLUE490's" YouTube channel to be helpful with cleaning procedures particularly with regard to solvents, the specific video that deals with barrels is called "gun cleaning and solvents". Some of the products out there are actually potentially harmful and overkill. Will be looking forward to seeing a bunch of overlapping holes in your range report :-)

Last edited by cousinmark; 07-16-2016 at 11:13 AM. Reason: add info
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page
kimber 84m break in
kimber ascent barrel breakin
kimber mountain ascent barrel breakin

kimber rifle barrel break in

kimber rifle barrel quality

kimber rifle barrell break in

kimber rifle barrellbreak in
kimber rifle break in
Click on a term to search for related topics.