New Rifle - Bad Problem - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Rifles Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2016, 09:27 PM   #1

New Rifle - Bad Problem

New to the site, new Kimber owner.

I bought a 10-year old 84M Classic in .260 remington from a close friend that was shot 6 times when purchased and put up. I bought it, cleaned it, put 20 rounds through it and couldn't open the bolt after each shot until i put the safety in the middle position and then it was still difficult to open.
Any ideas of what is going on?
Was shooting Remington Core Lock and Remington Premier AccuTips.
shallowaterhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-22-2016, 02:00 AM   #2
Banned

Time to take the bolt apart.
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:39 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois shallowaterhunter, how about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership.

Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2016, 03:47 PM   #4

Don't know anything about their rifles but welcome from big sky country.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:47 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to motomanjack112
Hey Shallowaterhunter…

I just spent this past week TRYING to get a brand new Kimber 84M Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor to shoot properly. After 110 rounds of premium ammunition (Hornaday mostly 129 Gr SST) through it, I resorted to going out tonight and buying a cheap scope to mount to the Leupold rings to see if it's my brand new Leupold VX3i or the gun that is causing the pinwheeling.

The reason why I responded to your post is because after the initial third shot and after the second shots of 3 shot groups (after letting the barrel cool down 3 mins in between groups) the bolt gets very difficult to lift and eject the spent case. Something is expanding causing the bolt to drag, which I have never experienced in any of my bolt action hunting rifles before.

I called Kimber Customer Service and after a lengthy wait, a helpful Rep basically told me to send the rifle back so they could check it out. While they would pay for the postage both ways, their wait time is 4-6 weeks, which means my $1,500 investment to finally have a new hunting rifle will have to wait another year, if I go that route. For the record, Kimber will NOT allow you to deliver the rifle to Yonkers NY, which I only live 2 hours away.

I hope you figure out your bolt issue.
motomanjack112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 05:49 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Kimbers customer service in Montana has no real time idea how busy the gunsmiths in New York are or how long it will take to correct a problem. The standard time they give for turn around is 6 weeks, this covers them in a worse case scenario. Many here have been told 6 weeks only to find their guns being returned after 1 week. People will complain when a repair takes longer then the time they were quoted but no one ever complains about getting it back sooner then they were told.

Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 06:30 AM   #7

Originally Posted by motomanjack112 View Post
Hey Shallowaterhunter…

I just spent this past week TRYING to get a brand new Kimber 84M Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor to shoot properly. After 110 rounds of premium ammunition (Hornaday mostly 129 Gr SST) through it, I resorted to going out tonight and buying a cheap scope to mount to the Leupold rings to see if it's my brand new Leupold VX3i or the gun that is causing the pinwheeling.

The reason why I responded to your post is because after the initial third shot and after the second shots of 3 shot groups (after letting the barrel cool down 3 mins in between groups) the bolt gets very difficult to lift and eject the spent case. Something is expanding causing the bolt to drag, which I have never experienced in any of my bolt action hunting rifles before.

I called Kimber Customer Service and after a lengthy wait, a helpful Rep basically told me to send the rifle back so they could check it out. While they would pay for the postage both ways, their wait time is 4-6 weeks, which means my $1,500 investment to finally have a new hunting rifle will have to wait another year, if I go that route. For the record, Kimber will NOT allow you to deliver the rifle to Yonkers NY, which I only live 2 hours away.

I hope you figure out your bolt issue.
Interesting. I have never had any problems with my rifles. What kind of ammo are you using? New factory ammo?
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page
kimber 84m hunter 6.5 creedmoor

kimber hunter magazine problem

kimber hunter problems

kimber mountain ascent accuracy problems

kimber rifle problems

kimber rifles problems

what is the bolt lift in the new kimber hunter ?
Click on a term to search for related topics.