New 84 Montana that fails sub-MOA guarantee - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Rifles Forum

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2016, 02:33 PM   #1

New 84 Montana that fails sub-MOA guarantee

I'm moving this thread over from the 'new member introduction' section to this one. I've got a (late 2015 model) Kimber 84 Montana in .308 sitting back at the Kimber factory for a warranty claim. Biggest issue is accuracy...I purchased the gun based on their sub-MOA guarantee...I've tried 8 different premium factory loads (Federal Premium, and Barnes TTSX ranging from 150 Grain to 168 Grain) and have yet to achieve anything near "sub-MOA" at 100 yards. I've provided test targets and shot from a variety of bench rest modes using several 'best practice' procedures (for light rifles). I do have some experience shooting 'light rifles' and my other gun is a lightweight Browning X-bolt carbon with fluted barrel in .300 WSM (which shoots 3/4" groups at 100 Yards consistently with 150, 165 and 180 grain premium hunting ammo).

Kimber just communicated to me that they found no fault with the gun when test firing it with 168 Grain BTHP MATCH ammo...not exactly what one would be using in a Hunting rifle. So, I've asked them to attempt it with premium HUNTING ammo (of their choice). I appreciate the fact that they're reviewing my request with their customer service team and I will update when I receive a reply.

I re-read the sub-MOA guarantee and am pretty sure that 'match' ammo wasn't a stipulation of their guarantee.

Just curious if anyone else has had issues realizing their sub-MOA guarantee on your respective rifles (with factory hunting ammo).

Also curious if anyone else's recent Montana's had a poorly finished stock. Mine is rough and looks scratched from very light usage. My previous Montana had a smoother, more durable finish.

Looking forward to hearing from the experts on this forum for advice.

thanks all!

Dh
dan_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-24-2016, 04:42 PM   #2

Sorry, don't have any answers, but do have a question.

While hunting, is there a reason sub MOA is required at 100 yards? You may be hunting in the mountains taking 400 yard shots and the 100 yd MOA is just a base line, I don't know. Just curious.
MonoLake likes this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:50 PM   #3

Originally Posted by Insta-Gator View Post
Sorry, don't have any answers, but do have a question.

While hunting, is there a reason sub MOA is required at 100 yards? You may be hunting in the mountains taking 400 yard shots and the 100 yd MOA is just a base line, I don't know. Just curious.
Precisely...this is my back-up elk rifle for Colorado and I practice out to 300+ yards. And I'd definitely like to consider it for antelope as well. My primary gun is the .300 WSM. But this will be my primary whitetail rifle in TX. But the bigger issue is the random nature of my groups with different brands of (perfectly good, premium $$) ammo...in a $1250 (my cost) rifle. Shrinking the 3 shot 'dispersion' (to around an MOA) would make this a non-issue for me. Again, I'm simply hoping to obtain the advertised (guaranteed?) accuracy I thought I purchased. I do love the look and feel of the gun...very nimble in the field and (in my opinion) very high quality machining.
Insta-Gator likes this.

Last edited by dan_h; 03-24-2016 at 05:53 PM. Reason: added clarification

Old 03-24-2016, 06:30 PM   #4

Have you locked the rifle in a solid ransom rest and shot it? The factory is definitely going to have it locked up tight for those test groupings. Other wise it's a human factor worked in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2sharp2 likes this.
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:08 PM   #5

Originally Posted by Albert.Cairns View Post
Have you locked the rifle in a solid ransom rest and shot it? The factory is definitely going to have it locked up tight for those test groupings. Other wise it's a human factor worked in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting question Al, and no i haven't locked it into a solid machine rest. I've read mixed reviews on this topic (Rifle vs. Shooter Accuracy) and it seems split between which results in the best rifle groups, especially when recoil and barrel vibrations are considered in a rigidly fixed vs. 'free recoil' environment. From what i read, the human often can and does out-preform the 'rigid rest' in rifle testing. Specifically I've read that this was the experience of the AMU at Ft. Benning (I believe this is discussed on one of the sniper forums IIRC)

Qualitatively speaking, however, i have two lightweight rifles (Rem Model 7 in 7mm-08 w/18" barrel and the previously mentioned Browning X-bolt) which will achieve MOA accuracy with premium factory ammo...so that's definitely impacted my perceptions.

thx
dh
Old 03-24-2016, 07:33 PM   #6

On my LPT, I get sub MOA with Prvi, and with Federal Gold Medal.
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:26 AM   #7

Mine punches same hole almost everytime with factory ammo at 100.
Did you clean that new rifle first and then break in the barrel or just start ramming rounds thur it like most people?
Galco Holsters Kimber Logos
NRA Member

I Love All My Kimbers I Sleep With Them When My Wife Wont
BridgerMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:30 AM   #8
Banned

I'm sure your correct. But if you have a buddy, have him shoot it also. I'm a terrible shot, but get it done. My friend is an amazing shot.

I still can't believe this. My Weatherly 30-378, I bore sighted to my best ability. My friend at 200 yards rebore sighted, giving windage and elevation several full turns. He shot it once, gave each a few more clicks, and was dead on. I was happy. A $5 a cartridge, Id have had to shoot an entire box to get it close, if even on the paper.
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:01 PM   #9

Some inspiration .......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=534&v=b658zDEXZUk
Chuck43, 2sharp2, MonoLake and 2 others like this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:35 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Nice video Gary, I enjoyed that.
Insta-Gator likes this.

Search tags for this page

kimber 6.5 creedmoor review accuracy

kimber 84l vs montana

kimber adirondack accuracy

kimber montana

kimber montana 6.5 creedmoor

kimber montana 6.5 creedmoor review

kimber montana accuracy

kimber montana review

Click on a term to search for related topics.