Well she is off to meet her maker.. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Solo Forum

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2016, 02:03 PM   #1

Thumbs down Well she is off to meet her maker..

Exactly one week (and 250 rnds of premium ammo) from date of purchase and my Solo is headed back. I just dropped her off at UPS along with the 3 extra mags I had purchased.

I'll admit I am not all that optimistic that a manufacturer that would let such shoddy workmanship leave in the first place, will actually be capable and or willing to fix the problem

For the premium price we pay for Kimber, I would expect anything that left that place to have been tested, checked, tested again and then cleaned before it shipped.

To add insult to injury, while speaking with the CS rep about my frustration and disgust with my Kimber Solo, I happened to mention that I have owned an Ultra Ten II for years and while I admittedly don't shoot it that often, I am completely happy with it.

Well he said it was a good thing because "Unfortunately Kimber no longer supports that gun" WTF??? he went on to explain that if I ever have trouble I couldn't get it fixed, and the best I could hope for is trade in on a discounted new firearm.

I'll be honest. Kimber has certainly fallen down several rungs of the ladder of respect in my eyes. I would place them solidly under KelTec at this moment... IF they manage to fix my Solo it wouldn't even be enough to bring them back to dead even in my eyes.

So here I sit "Solo" without my week old new gun hoping for the best.

I'll be sure and let yall know how it goes
DoorKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-30-2016, 02:47 PM   #2
Super Moderator

I hope that Kimber can get your new Solo running correctly. I've read all 7 of your posts so far and except for the 1 about the CT grips your other 6 have been nothing but complaints about the Solo. Lighten up a little and think positive thoughts .
Marshall, YuK, Maineiac64 and 2 others like this.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:57 PM   #3

You're not the only one that has had an issue with that gun and probably won't be the last, but bashing Kimber to the extreme is just crazy...

I have 6 Kimbers that have performed flawlessly out of the case and many more members have had the same result with theirs..

I get your disgust because I have a Solo that made a trip back to Yonkers and now runs like it should have in the first place..

BTW...Welcome to the forum...
YuK likes this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2016, 04:09 PM   #4

Doorkicker, agree that hearing there would be limited repair support for your other Kimber would be off putting. CS should not have even made an issue where one doesn't exist. Even though it's s ten, seems like should be ample parts available for most issues through other avenues.

You may want to check out some of the high-end 1911 purveyors like ed brown, les baer, wilson, nighthawk. They are 2-3x the price of Kimber but it might be the level of service and quality you are seeking.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:37 PM   #5

Hey, DoorKicker.
Don't let the Kool-Aid drinkers intimidate you from speaking your mind. That's the only way the truth gets told.

I'm torn. I know all about the Solo. Yet, there are plenty of reasons to think that the full-size Kimbers are really nice.
Cucamonga kid likes this.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:43 PM   #6

Not a kool aid drinker at all....Bad for the teeth...
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:30 PM   #7

You will get it back and it will be fine.
I love my Solo and I have many others to carry. I also have two other .45 caliber Kimbers. They too need some adjustment but now I stake my life on them. I suspect you are a Leo or bounty hunter with a handle like Doorkicker.
Being from Alabama I thought you may be called S**tkicker! Lol
Marshall and Maineiac64 like this.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 07:10 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
I hope that Kimber can get your new Solo running correctly. I've read all 7 of your posts so far and except for the 1 about the CT grips your other 6 have been nothing but complaints about the Solo. Lighten up a little and think positive thoughts .

I really don't have anything else to say. If sharing the truth about my experience thus far is considered extreme for this site, then I don't want to say anything else. Why would I?

I came here seeking an answer and maybe even a solution to the crappy gun I purchased.

So far I haven't received any answers as to why these guns are plagued.

The only solution I hear is "Send it back" and "Stop complaining" Oddly enough that is what Kimber CS in a round about way said as well. "I understand your frustration with the Solo, but most people are not prepared for the complications of such an advanced firearm"

Funny, I didn't see those words in any of the adds for Solo. Maybe their add should say..."Consider the Solo Carry by Kimber, but only if you are prepared for a complicated handgun..."

On other gun forums you get suggestions and solutions and people even explain why such and such is happening.

So to end on a positive note, The CS rep did say that Kimber would "Make it right" and he did say it would take around four weeks. He also told me of a customer that was sending back a Colt product and was told the wait would be 24 months. So I guess the 4 weeks should be a positive as well
Cucamonga kid likes this.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:34 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Actually with a new gun under warranty that is giving you problems sending it back to the factory is the safest thing to do. Trying to adjust or modify something can void your warranty and nobody want's to see that happen. Kimber has a 1 year written warranty on their guns but I've seen them do some amazing things with their unwritten warranty. I have a friend that sent a used Kimber in to the factory on their dime for a problem that developed after he bought the gun. Not only did they fix the problem but they refinished the worn gun (something he never asked about) on their nickle. I see value in voicing a problem and asking advice about something that is wrong with a gun but no value and constantly repeating it.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:48 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
Actually with a new gun under warranty that is giving you problems sending it back to the factory is the safest thing to do. Trying to adjust or modify something can void your warranty and nobody want's to see that happen. Kimber has a 1 year written warranty on their guns but I've seen them do some amazing things with their unwritten warranty. I have a friend that sent a used Kimber in to the factory on their dime for a problem that developed after he bought the gun. Not only did they fix the problem but they refinished the worn gun (something he never asked about) on their nickle. I see value in voicing a problem and asking advice about something that is wrong with a gun but no value and constantly repeating it.
Same could be said about opinions...

I see no value in you constantly telling me NOT to share my negative experience "Just because" you don't want to read it. There is a solution to that problem.

I will share my positive experience IF and WHEN it presents itself. But currently I am out a significant amount of money, with nothing to show for it