Kimber Solo problem / Customer Service is useless - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Solo Forum

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2014, 10:55 AM  

Kimber Solo problem / Customer Service

Greetings all,

Against my better judgement I purchased a Kimber Solo Carry STS. I had done some reading about them and their issues but decided to ignore everything bad I have read about them and purchase one anyway. I made up my mind after holding one as it is indeed a neat gun.

I took it home and broke it down for cleaning and I noticed that there were two pins in the safety lever which I assume are the two pins that hold it together. The pins had walked about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way out of the lever. I called Kimber CS and they said it was not normal and to send it in. I did as instructed.

Today I recieved the gun back. The invoice reads that the pins were replaced and that a total of 5 magazines of ammo was fired through the gun. No cycling issues reported and the gun was 'Inspected by QC'. Upon opening the package the first thing I did was take the gun apart to check the pins. Low and behold the two new pins are about 1/2 to 3/4 the way sticking out again. It appears that they never changed the pins or they never checked it after test firing it and decided instead to box it up and send it back. Imagine my disappointment. I now have to decide if I want to send it back (which I shouldn't have to do) or sell it as-is at a huge loss and wash my hands of it. Either way I will not be keeping it.

For anyone reading this that has a Solo and has had no problems, congratulations. You are one of the lucky ones and you should consider buying a lottery ticket ASAP. For those that are thinking about buying one, don't. Sadly this experience will end my relationship with any of Kimber's products. I believe the big issue with their customer service is that they are located in Montana and the facility that produces and fixes these guns is located in NY. The left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing. However, everyone I spoke to was polite.

Thanks for hearing me out and I hope some of you can learn from my experience.

Last edited by Bedore; 03-12-2014 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:04 AM  

First welcome to the site from Tennessee! All I hear you doing is bitchin and complaining about a pistol and a company that you have not even fired and tested for yourself. Have you fired the pistol? Did it malfunction? Sounds like you have made up your mind. I don't know if it is good or bad.
Chuck43, Marshall and Oreste like this.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:20 AM  

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
First welcome to the site from Tennessee! All I hear you doing is bitchin and complaining about a pistol and a company that you have not even fired and tested for yourself. Have you fired the pistol? Did it malfunction? Sounds like you have made up your mind. I don't know if it is good or bad.
So you are telling me I should fire a gun with a possibly defective safety? Really? Did you even read my post? Apparently you didn't, because if you did you would see this as a major safety concern. Instead you decided to bash me instead. I will add that when I contacted Kimber CS, they instructed me NOT to fire the gun under any circumstances until they get a chance to look at it.

I certainly did not make this post to argue with anyone but to explain my experience with the Kimber Solo and Kimber CS. Take anything I say with a grain of salt. I suppose if you feel the need to blame me for their defect then by all means go ahead and continue to do so.

Last edited by Bedore; 03-12-2014 at 11:22 AM.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:26 AM  

Welcome to the forum.I had many problems with my Solo also but I sent it back to Kimber and they were and always have been above courteous to me.When it came back it performed magnificent.As for as never buying another Kimber,I wouldn't lump all the other wonderful products that they offer just because you're having temporary problems with your Solo.I got gonorrhea from a girl on spring break once but I didn't stop chasing the ladies.I fixed what was wrong and kept going.Be patient because you have an awesome firearm.
Sketter, Oreste and Josey Wales like this.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:29 AM  

Originally Posted by jms-stlou View Post
Welcome to the forum.I had many problems with my Solo also but I sent it back to Kimber and they were and always have been above courteous to me.When it came back it performed magnificent.As for as never buying another Kimber,I wouldn't lump all the other wonderful products that they offer just because you're having temporary problems with your Solo.I got gonorrhea from a girl on spring break once but I didn't stop chasing the ladies.I fixed what was wrong and kept going.Be patient because you have an awesome firearm.
Thanks for the input. If this was my first Kimber firearm that had troubles I would not swear them off. But this makes the third firearm that I have bought that has had problems in the past 5-6 years. I guess I am a little slow.

I think the biggest issue here is that I explained the problem, sent the gun in, and it wasn't fixed. That is what is disappointing. I feel like I shouldn't have had to send it in to begin with. This isn't a Lorcin or Bryco.

Last edited by Bedore; 03-12-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:37 AM  

[.I got gonorrhea from a girl on spring break once but I didn't stop chasing the ladies.I fixed what was wrong and kept going.Be patient because you have an awesome firearm.[/QUOTE]

Best quote ever!!
Marshall likes this.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:38 AM  

Welcome to the forum any pics of the pins?
Old 03-12-2014, 11:42 AM  
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois Bedore, have you called customer service and talked with them about this yet?
Old 03-12-2014, 11:44 AM  

Originally Posted by Bedore View Post
So you are telling me I should fire a gun with a possibly defective safety? Really? Did you even read my post? Apparently you didn't, because if you did you would see this as a major safety concern. Instead you decided to bash me instead. I will add that when I contacted Kimber CS, they instructed me NOT to fire the gun under any circumstances until they get a chance to look at it.

I certainly did not make this post to argue with anyone but to explain my experience with the Kimber Solo and Kimber CS. Take anything I say with a grain of salt. I suppose if you feel the need to blame me for their defect then by all means go ahead and continue to do so.
Maybe you should aim it at that "chip" on your shoulder! Sorry you thought I bashed you! I simply asked you a question "if" you had fired the weapon. Not that you should even if Kimber said it was good to go. I am surprised Kimber did not correct your problem.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:46 AM  

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois Bedore, have you called customer service and talked with them about this yet?
Yes, I sent them photos and I am currently waiting for a return call.

Last edited by Bedore; 03-12-2014 at 01:30 PM.

Tags
safety lever pins, solo, solo customer service

Search tags for this page
kimber solo carry problems
kimber solo feeding problems
kimber solo issues
kimber solo issues fixed
kimber solo problems

kimber solo problems 2014

kimber solo problems fixed
kimber solo recall
Click on a term to search for related topics.