Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Soloist
  • 1 Post By montanaResident
  • 4 Post By Soloist
  • 2 Post By Soloist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2016, 09:25 PM   #1

FTE/FTF possible fix

For the FTF/FTE issues, I've reasoned a lot of these have to do with the length of the grip. The "limp wrist" thing we've all heard about isn't so much the horizontal recoil as it is the muzzle flip causing the problem. With the gun rotating up it's robbing the slide of needed energy to cycle.

I'm thinking adding a finger extension or using the extended mag will solve SOME (not all, of course) of these issues. Otherwise, you need a 'death grip' to keep the pistol down tight.
starnovi likes this.
Soloist is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-28-2016, 09:32 PM   #2
Banned

This is a red herring. Grip, ammo, magazines are commonly blamed. Explore these if you like, but there are more realistic solutions that require some gunsmithing, either by someone who isn't the owner and not familiar with the history or the pistol/problem, or by yourself that may take a while, some experimentation, and some frustration.
Pops6116 likes this.
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:57 PM   #3

agreed. But I'm of a firm belief that 90% of the issues are user-correctable. I'm not a revolver guy, so shooting one takes me a while to work out being effective with one. Going from duty sized to conceal size pistols take similar adjustment. I'm just offering some free ideas to try before shipping your expensive paperweight off for rehab.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:28 AM   #4

Soloist, there is a guy on this forum that uses Kimber's 1911, 45 tactical mag extenders after modification of the extender. They come in packages of three. They attach to the bottom. What you say makes sense and I have been looking for these extenders.
Rangemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:01 PM   #5

This one is the one I have, it's not perfect but it's the easiest solution out there. I use it on the 6rd mag for carry most of the time, and use the ext 8rd mag when I can get away with hiding it.
https://www.amazon.com/Finger-Extens.../dp/B00NMUGLU8
Old 08-02-2016, 05:11 PM   #6

If any gun model behaved this way with high occurence for typical users who are regular/experienced shooters should it be considered an inherent design flaw?
Old 08-03-2016, 05:10 PM   #7

there are no typical users because the Solo was a brand new design... There are other 9mm pocket pistols but they either have their own problems or are bigger/bulkier/not as compact as the Solo. For it to be a design flaw, it would have to malfunction repeatably in every example. As per the posts on this page and my own experience, it seems that most of the last 2-4 years worth of production guns are running fine. Was there a change? I don't know. I think the AR platform was a turd in it's original incarnation but people seem to love that squirrel gun now. I don't own one so I can't speak to that. The Solo is a give and take gun, give it what it wants - good 124gr ammo - and it will take care of you.
starnovi and RDH like this.

Search tags for this page

kimber solo fte fix

Click on a term to search for related topics.