Well, just received my Solo from Yonkers...WOW! - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Solo Forum

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2016, 08:23 PM   #1

Well, just received my Solo from Yonkers...WOW!

So, after a three week wait my Solo DC is back. I have not had a chance to test fire it yet, but I thought it may be an interesting read to hear what they corrected/replaced...here goes, hang on...

Per Kimber paperwork included with the return...

We performed the following work:
-The frame was refinished
-The magazine catch was replaced
-The barrel was refinished
-The chamber was reamed and polished
-The extractor was adjusted

It was test fired with (3)mags of Pierce 124 gr FMJ and (1) mag of Hornady 147 gr XTP

The following complimentary services were performed...
-The outer recoil spring, slide stop spring screw, magazine catch button spring, trigger bar spring screw, trigger spring, sear spring, and thumb safety pin were replaced.

WTF??? I think it would have been easier and less expensive for them to just replace this gun. Sheesh!

How could anyone release a weapon intended for personal defense with even one or two of these issues. It does make me question the entire company!

Don't get me wrong, the customer service and turn around time was exceptional, but how could any mechanical device have that many issues as a new product? I know they were being proactive with some of the fixes, but really?

Guess we'll see how it performs. Part of me just wants to trade it off and be done with it.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:30 PM   #2

Well I'm no Solo fan but you got to admit Yonkers is standing behind their products, wow
GoingSolo likes this.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:42 PM   #3

Hope that all goes well with your Solo....

You made the statement "How could anyone release a weapon intended for personal defense with even one or two of these issues. It does make me question the entire company!"

The Solo is in it's own category for works/don't work from the factory..I have 6 other Kimbers that have been perfect right out of the case and many others on KT will tell you the same story..

Please report back after your range session....Good luck
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2016, 09:26 AM   #4

I doubt all the parts they replaced had issues. They refinished the frame they may have stripped it down in order to refinish it. In doing so they just went ahead and put new parts on it. Just guessing on my part.
Hoffbrew and Trex like this.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:01 AM   #5

Probably cheaper in the long run to replace the comp parts than take the chance of it being returned later. I hope you like yours as well as I do mine.
I carry my Solo daily.
YuK and the iceman like this.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:06 AM   #6

Range report will tell the story.
Tinman likes this.
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:53 AM   #7

Well Magic, good on you so far. Hated you had to return the Solo, but the outcome and final product will hopefully make you a happy man. We'll be watching!
Marshall, GoingSolo and the iceman like this.
Rangemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 05:53 PM   #8

Time for an update, sorry for the delay�� Finally had a chance to run a few rounds through my newly returned (and rebuilt) Solo. I have to say I am impressed. I ran about 200 rounds so far and only had two FTE's but they were both with aluminum cased 115 Federals. Also ran 135 gr HST's, 147 gr Winchester hollow points, and even a bunch of 115 gr FMJ's. All ran without a hitch. I don't know how to explain it, but the gun just "feels" different. It functions more smoothly, and just works. Other than forgetting a grip screw, it appears they have resolved the issues (just received the new screw in the mail today). I'll feel much better after another 200 rounds.
My only concern is that everything seems to shoot about 2"-3" low. Frustrating, but workable. Still want to try some Federal 124gr hp's...seems to be the round of choice for the Solo.
I'll do another update soon...we'll see how it goes, still not sure I am going to keep it, but we'll see.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:05 PM   #9

Originally Posted by Magic Guy View Post
Time for an update, sorry for the delay�� Finally had a chance to run a few rounds through my newly returned (and rebuilt) Solo. I have to say I am impressed. I ran about 200 rounds so far and only had two FTE's but they were both with aluminum cased 115 Federals. Also ran 135 gr HST's, 147 gr Winchester hollow points, and even a bunch of 115 gr FMJ's. All ran without a hitch. I don't know how to explain it, but the gun just "feels" different. It functions more smoothly, and just works. Other than forgetting a grip screw, it appears they have resolved the issues (just received the new screw in the mail today). I'll feel much better after another 200 rounds.
My only concern is that everything seems to shoot about 2"-3" low. Frustrating, but workable. Still want to try some Federal 124gr hp's...seems to be the round of choice for the Solo.
I'll do another update soon...we'll see how it goes, still not sure I am going to keep it, but we'll see.
Well, hope yours ends up like mine. They reamed and refinished the barrel and replaced the extractor. I have not had ANY malfunctions since then (and I put a lot of rounds through it). I have to admit, I still don't put 115gr ammo in it, as I don't wanna jinx myself. Best of luck. It's my favorite.

Charlie
5Wire, YuK and GoingSolo like this.
Charlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:07 PM   #10

Glad everything is almost back like it should be. I am always amazed that so many have to be sent back to them for fine tuning. The ones we hear about are on this forum...what about others? I worked in manufacturing and the goal was to reduce the ones that come back through quality control. I know personal has a major part in the overall process. I took a class one time called TQM...Total Quality Maintenance...it had some good points. I wonder how their returns for rework compare to the other manufacturing companies. On the new gun...that would mean another serial number......?
Participant of the Southeast Asia War Games, 1971.
Markie is offline   Reply With Quote