Locking slide back on Solo to soften spring? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Solo Forum

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2016, 02:51 PM   #1

Locking slide back on Solo to soften spring?

The other day on here somewhere, I saw a post about locking the slide back on new pistols to soften the slide spring.
I locked my Solo back a couple of days ago and I can't tell if there is a difference or not.
Does this really work?

My Solo works fine but of course the spring is stiffer than I like.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-11-2016, 03:10 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to the iceman
I don't think so nelly mine has never soften up even after lots of rounds.it needs that pressure
Nellybelle likes this.
the iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:35 PM   #3

Mine stayed stronggggg as hell. Started lifting weights and doing arm curls for 30 minutes a day and then it became easy using Kimbers two hand racking advice.
Nellybelle and Trex like this.

If you have a problem with that, choose a orifice.
End of subject.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2016, 09:38 PM   #4

A spring's compression rate should stay relatively constant throughout the life of the spring. There are things you can do to lighten that spring up, but that might not be a good idea.

Too much spring will result in a slide that doesn't move back all the way. Too little spring will result in a slide that slams back and beats up the gun, and might be too weak to bring a new round into battery.

Since the conditions under which a Solo will reliably function are so narrow, arbitrarily changing something could very well result in a gun that doesn't run reliably.

P.S.
Back in the day, we NEVER had problems racking the slides on our pistols. But back then, men were men, we didn't shoot anything that ended in "mm," and we racked the slide with our teeth.

Men's grip strength has declined over the past 30 years
Nellybelle and Chuck43 like this.

Last edited by RustyIron; 08-11-2016 at 09:43 PM.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:56 AM   #5

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
A spring's compression rate should stay relatively constant throughout the life of the spring. There are things you can do to lighten that spring up, but that might not be a good idea.

Too much spring will result in a slide that doesn't move back all the way. Too little spring will result in a slide that slams back and beats up the gun, and might be too weak to bring a new round into battery.

Since the conditions under which a Solo will reliably function are so narrow, arbitrarily changing something could very well result in a gun that doesn't run reliably.

P.S.
Back in the day, we NEVER had problems racking the slides on our pistols. But back then, men were men, we didn't shoot anything that ended in "mm," and we racked the slide with our teeth.

Men's grip strength has declined over the past 30 years
And back then we had either 5" full size service pistols, or 25acp in small stuff. Cramming service pistol power in a pocket format is a trick!
RustyIron likes this.
Soloist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:36 AM   #6

It's called compression spring set. That's going to happen very soon in the life of a spring whether from firing the gun or manually moving the slide (spring has no idea the gun is being fired or you're moving the slide with your hand) . The spring will be slightly shorter than new and will typically remain that length or otherwise losing little more length for the useful life of the spring.

You can't make the spring "softer" than it would otherwise be by increasing the compression time. Number of cycles is key to the life of a spring.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 08-16-2016 at 07:15 AM.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:46 AM   #7

Thank you all for your post.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:14 AM   #8

Kimber should send every Solo owner a spring pack annually or more often to keep the non 1911 9mm boyz happy.
Nellybelle likes this.

If you have a problem with that, choose a orifice.
End of subject.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:50 PM   #9

Looks to me like the Micro 9 and Micro 380 may be the new Solo problems and all.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:36 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Nellybelle View Post
The other day on here somewhere, I saw a post about locking the slide back on new pistols to soften the slide spring.
I locked my Solo back a couple of days ago and I can't tell if there is a difference or not.
Does this really work?
I don't believe it will work unless you leave it that way for a very long time and increase the temperature at which you store it. My belief is based on knowledge gained over the years working with materials engineers and from information available publicly and summarized below.

When a load is applied to a piece of metal it first deflects elastically and if the load is high enough, it will deflect plastically. Elastic deflection is when after unloading the material 'springs back' to its previous shape/geometry. Plastic deflection is when the material is loaded to a point that exceeds its elasticity, permanently deforms and after unloading does not return to its previous geometry. Engineers design springs to not exceed their elastic capacity in normal operation they were intended for.

At stress below the yield strength of the material (where deflection crosses over from elastic to plastic) a very slow plastic deformation takes place and the spring loses length (creep). How much creep depends on the temperature, the stress in the metal, the metal's yield strength and the time. In particular, increased temperature, stress and time increases creep. So, heating the spring up during a range session will increase creep and the spring will lose length.

Hope this helps.

(Principal source for this post is: Spring durability and spring fatigue are of great interest for springs)

Last edited by Warthogge; 08-25-2016 at 09:40 PM.
Warthogge is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

lighter spring kimber solo

Click on a term to search for related topics.