Kimber Solo Safety - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Solo Forum

Like Tree59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2016, 11:31 PM   #1
drh

Kimber Solo Safety

Hi, I am new to the forum and although I don't currently own a Kimber handgun I have been researching the Solo for quite awhile now and though I admit the many horror stories of reliability issues scared me away for a time, I have finally decided that the feel of the gun and the look have drawn me in to going for it. I hope I won't regret it but it is the perfect size for concealed carry. I have already bought Federal HST 124g & 147g HP ammo so now watching for a good deal on the gun.
Now my two questions:
1) I assume there is no difference internally between the two tone, stainless steel or DC Solo's and that the only difference is asthetic?
2) I don't like to carry a gun with the safety on which is why I am not a 1911 guy. I have been told the Solo should only be carried with the safety on but I don't understand that as it is a striker fired gun and I assume double action only so do solo owners carry their gun with safety OFF without any concerns?

Thanks
Dan
starnovi likes this.
drh is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-08-2016, 05:50 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois Dan, I'm not a Solo owner but I can tell you that there's no internal difference between the various models. Check out our Solo threads and be aware that many Solo owners have had to return their guns to Kimber for service and Kimber has temporarily suspended production of the Solo.
Tinman and Mini Me like this.

Chuck43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 06:43 AM   #3

Hi, Dan.
When I had my Solo, I would carry it with he safety on. However, because of the long, somewhat stiff trigger pull, I would be perfectly comfortable carrying it with the safety off. But because there IS a safety on the gun, and there is a chance that the safety might be engaged when I pick up the gun, I want my muscle memory to flick that safety off EVERY time I handle the gun.

You might want to give some thought to Chuck's warning.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2016, 07:52 AM   #4

Send a message via MSN to the iceman
drh if you buy a solo new or used and it don't work right kimber will make it right
starnovi likes this.
the iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:10 AM   #5

Originally Posted by the iceman View Post
drh if you buy a solo new or used and it don't work right kimber will make it right
....famous last words heard in a ER.

"Honey"....send my SOLO back to Kimber. CS will fix it again. Take care of the kids. I LOVE YOU.
Cucamonga kid and starnovi like this.

If you have a problem with that, choose a orifice.
End of subject.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:52 AM   #6
drh

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois Dan, I'm not a Solo owner but I can tell you that there's no internal difference between the various models. Check out our Solo threads and be aware that many Solo owners have had to return their guns to Kimber for service and Kimber has temporarily suspended production of the Solo.
Thanks for the feedback, I was not aware that Kimber had stopped production of the Solo which sets off my alarm so think I will take a step back now and see what happens.
Cucamonga kid and starnovi like this.
drh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:11 AM   #7

Originally Posted by drh View Post
Thanks for the feedback, I was not aware that Kimber had stopped production of the Solo which sets off my alarm so think I will take a step back now and see what happens.
Welcome to the forum from Oklahoma.
I am a very happy Solo DC owner but be advised you will get some Solo bashing here.
It's a little misleading to state Solo production has been temporarily stopped without explaining the reason.
The Solo production has " temporarily" been shut down to make room for the production of Kimber's new Micro-9.
Our Solo satisfaction poll for those who actually have owned a Solo had 11 Solo owners who were satisfied with their Solo's and 2 who were not satisfied.
https://www.kimbertalk.com/forums/kim...on-poll-6.html

So take the Solo trashing here with a grain of salt as most those who are trashing it have never owned a Solo.
One thing I would point out is that the Solo DC is an upgrade as it has the DLC coating on the slide and comes with night sights.
the iceman and phil evans like this.

Last edited by Trex; 10-08-2016 at 12:02 PM.
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:45 AM   #8

SOLO CDO..buy now $675.

If you have a problem with that, choose a orifice.
End of subject.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:47 AM   #9

Send a message via MSN to the iceman
Most of the problems with the solo are caused by owners who no nothing about small micro pistols they think a gun is a gun .the solo is very different and some cannot learn how to use it and they get pissed because some have a solo that works perfect ,they will not believe anything you say good about the solo,I have 3 solos now my origional with over 3000 rounds through it one I bought used and one I bought for my niece who was killed in a horse rideing accident 4weeks ago today the solo is a fine pistol for someone who will take the time to learn about it use only 124gr ammo.
the iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 06:10 PM   #10

Iceman I'm sorry to hear about your niece.

As far as the Solo goes, I love mine. It works perfect. I did send it back to KIMBER and use the correct ammo.
I have the STS and carry it all the time.
Do what you will but don't be afraid the invest in one.
The Micros are also having issues but they too work fine after going back for a tune up.
Good luck
the iceman and starnovi like this.

Last edited by Nellybelle; 10-08-2016 at 08:29 PM.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

124g or 147g kimber solo

any good kimber solo stories

Click on a term to search for related topics.