Solo Slide to Frame fit - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Solo Forum

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2016, 09:03 AM   #1

Solo Slide to Frame fit

While pretty pleased with what has transpired to date regarding my Solo DC, I was cleaning the thing after my second range trip and noticed something a little odd. It seems I may have a slide to frame fit problem that I am not sure how to deal with.

As I was finishing my cleaning process and wiping the gun down, the rag snagged on the end of the gun. I checked it out and sure enough, this melted down Solo has a SHARP edge on the slide protruding from the edge of the frame in the forward position. When you rub your finger you can notice a distinct ledge on the slide that has a VERY sharp edge on it. I cannot recall if my last Solo had this issue or not and what should I do about it? It doesn't really affect me in the midst of shooting, I just know that it is there and it does hang up on my cleaning rag. The other side has a similar issue, but barely noticeable. Can you Solo owners check your pistol and see what the slide to frame fit is like. The pic shows the exact area of concern with an Arrow pointing at the offensive spot. Any suggestions? If the gun wasn't new, I would take a piece of 400 sandpaper and finish it, but what would I do to cover up the minor blotch?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg solo1.jpg (132.5 KB, 33 views)
Rangemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-31-2016, 10:15 AM   #2

Mine does not have the sharp edge like you have shown. Mine is an STS model though. I would knock down the sharp edge with a finishing file if it were me. My luck it would snag on everything that would come in close contact lol
Mini Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:27 AM   #3

Originally Posted by Mini Me View Post
Mine does not have the sharp edge like you have shown. Mine is an STS model though. I would knock down the sharp edge with a finishing file if it were me. My luck it would snag on everything that would come in close contact lol
Ha ha, my luck too! That is exactly my thought Mini. Worried about finish on slide. Thanks Mini

Old 12-31-2016, 12:24 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to the iceman
I would not worry about such minor crap
montanaResident likes this.
the iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 02:36 PM   #5

Originally Posted by the iceman View Post
I would not worry about such minor crap
Yeah not to be a jackass but it obviously is of concern to him which is why he asked for some advice....

I would lightly file it and touch it up with a birchwood Casey flat black pen.
A friend of mine did it on a black sig he has. It doesn't make it 100% unnoticeable, maybe because I know where he used it, but it didn't do bad. It will better looking than raw aluminum on an all black gun. I personally don't know of another option, not to say there isn't.

Birchwood Casey Super Black Touch Up Pen Flat Birchwood Casey https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BGH0Y0W..._qwbAybSG30CE4
Rangemeister likes this.
Mini Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 03:32 PM   #6

My solo is presently at my son's home. Maybe somebody knows of a polishing stone or like has been said a real fine file and then touch up the finish.
Rangemeister and Mini Me like this.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 05:14 PM   #7

Checked my Solo DC and while the slide section you have shown does in fact have sharp and not rounded edges, they do not protrude from the frame when in battery and will not snag on anything.
Yours appear to be different and I would suggest sending it back to Kimber with the picture explaining that it snags on things.
Mine doesn't and yours should not either.
the iceman likes this.
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 07:34 PM   #8

Thanks Trex. I entered the dark realm of way out there and repaired the slide myself. I took the gun apart and noticed file markings at the end of the slide on the exact area I was having trouble with. I went ahead and conducted a very slight fine filing of the affected area and the problem is gone. The thing is, I believe the slide was handfitted at the factory, as if it was noted as a little defective then filed down, just not enough. I may call Kimber Tuesday and tell them about this, but it is good to go and you can't tell I did it! The area filed matched the area filed at the factory and so I used Mini's recommended paint and covered their filing up, so I guess it's all good? Kimber will say "we don't do that" but, I cannot imagine who did...

And Trex you are right, I did not want to be cleaning my gun and get my finger, hand etc ripped, especially under certain meds!

Thanks again, and Happy New Year to all!
Nellybelle and Mini Me like this.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:15 AM   #9

Thumbs up Finished product

Thought I would show the finished product re: slide repair on my Solo. I am pretty pleased.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg solo2.JPG (161.9 KB, 13 views)
RustyIron, Trex and Mini Me like this.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:27 AM   #10

Very good!
And in a pinch, you can do a touch up with a Sharpie pen.
Rangemeister likes this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote