Solo - 2nd Time Going in - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Solo Forum

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2017, 09:24 AM   #1

Unhappy Solo - 2nd Time Going in

Hello All, I have a Kimber Solo CDP that I have wanted to work reliably since I got it last summer, unfortunately that hasn't happened. I have followed all of their recommendations to buy the right ammo, cleaned the gun thoroughly after each range date, etc.

The ongoing issue has been double feeds. The gun game with a 6 round mag, I went out and purchased another, as well as 2 8rd extended mags. I think the 6rd ones seem to work more reliably, but I still get quite a few double feeds and the gun jams. I sent the firearm in to Kimber over the summer with expectations of this being resolved when she was back, they are slightly better but still not fixed.

As of my last range date in December, I was still getting issues with double feeds. I have given up on the 8rd mags, even after sending them in with the gun to Kimber, the 6rd mags I get double feeds occasionally. However, I think I have a new issue where the gun will be going in immediately. In December, myself and a friend fired the gun and believe it was doubling on 2 instances.

I called Kimber this past week and they tell me lead time on repairs is now 6-8 weeks. I will wait patiently for this, but was curious if anyone else has had mag or feed issues? Anyone else use the 8rd mags and do they work?

Joe
joemamasgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-05-2017, 10:36 AM   #2

I had horrible experiences with the 8 round mags. Constant nosediving (double feed?) I have 8 of them. None work worth a bean. But neither does my Solo which is retired. With every fix came a new issue.
Like you, the 6 round mags were more reliable.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:52 AM   #3

Yea, same thing here with the nose diving. I should really point that out to them as well with the 8rd mags. They market them for the Solo, however if they don't work please just give me my $$ back.

Joe
joemamasgun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2017, 10:59 AM   #4
DOS

I have a similar configuration as you, Solo Carry DC, two 6 round mags, and two 8 round mags. When I first received the gun I loaded up a mag with “snap cap” rounds and tried to cycle them through just by racking the slide. I struggled to get through the 6 rounds without something jamming.

What I eventually found was that if I loading the mags with an Uplula (sp?) loader, it helped keep the rounds “lined-up” properly, and I was able to cycle the rounds with minimal issues.

After a few hundred rounds, the gun seems to cycle anything I put through it, including 115 grain. Although I admit, I still use the Uplula loader (just because I use it with all of my handguns.) It does appear that the mag springs have settled down a bit and loading by hand will probably work now. Although I haven’t tried 7 rounds (6 in mag, one in pipe), just because it’s too tight. (there is a bad joke in there somewhere).

A new issue that popped up was the “last round slide lock” was not happening. What I discovered with this was the mags were dirty and it prevented the mag follower from engaging the slide lock. Disassembled and clean the mags and all is well.

I don’t care for the 8 round mags, just because they protrude so far out of the bottom, no other particular reason.
Rangemeister likes this.
DOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:26 PM   #5

I have a Solo DC LG and the only problem I've ever had with it was with the eight round mag so I never use it.
I use the Uplula to load all my mag's and love them.
Kimber should just recall all their eight round mag's as they are a piece of crap.
Nellybelle and Rangemeister like this.
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:06 PM   #6

My DC is working ok, just having trouble getting the extended mags to fill up as supposed to. I've tried loaders, except the Uplula, and cannot get them to always take the eight. I'd rather use the 6 rds anyway. Someone on here was telling us he used base pads off the Kimber Tac mags. Good idea as they aren't too large.
Rangemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:20 PM   #7

My Glock takes a 33 round magazine and it NEVER jams.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:55 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to the iceman
I have never used anything but the six round in my 3 solo carrys,and never any problems.
Marshall, GoingSolo and Hoffbrew like this.
the iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:00 PM   #9

I had trouble with 8 rd mags also. I sent them in with my Solo and Kimber
gave me 4 new ones. Kimber sent all the mags back and had marke on them with a dry marker "bad". One of them was a brand new mag never loaded and it was still marked bad. I have gone back to the 6 rd mag with no regrets.
Kimber got the bugs worked out of my SOLO. I even let a local true pistolsmith look at it for complete peace of mind. He said he could not get it to fail using all types of ammo.
I only use 147gr JHp as Kimber recommends. No issues at all.
However I still love my S&W 638 in an ankle holster.
I sold my P938 this past couple of months to a friend. It was a good gun but I couldn't warm up to the way it looked. Kind of like a ugly girl friend. No matter what she does and does it well, shes still ugly.
Marshall, Tejun and the iceman like this.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:15 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Nellybelle View Post
Kimber got the bugs worked out of my SOLO. I even let a local true pistolsmith look at it for complete peace of mind. He said he could not get it to fail using all types of ammo.
Hey, Mister Solo. I still have something for you sitting on my desk. Need a mailing address. Also, are you left or right handed?

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote