Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Solo Forum

Like Tree12Likes
  • 5 Post By Rangemeister
  • 1 Post By Rangemeister
  • 6 Post By Rangemeister

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2017, 03:03 PM   #1

Question DRT 85 gr, 124 NATO, 150 Federal, and Shot Shell?

Well, what a great day at the range. I took advantage of the warm weather and took my Solo, K6s, and Colt 38 Super out for a rousing romp on the firing range.

The above listed ammo has several commonalities, not the least of which is that they are all 9mm, but each and every one cycled 100% through my Solo DC! Hard to imagine! The DRT stuff had NO recoil but cycled through a full mag plus 1. I only had a few rounds so ended that.

The 150 had little of no recoil and it cycled fine.

The 124 NATO I knew would work well, so 50 range rounds later, happy me.

The big surprise of the day, the CCI Shot Shell. This stuff would not cycle in my Micro 9, nor a lot of other 9's I've tried it in, but I crammed 4 124 NATO and 2 CCI shot shells into a mag and each one cycled and fired like a champ! I like the shotshell as I take it on walks etc.

Did I mention the K6s and Colt were equally impressive?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg soloammo.JPG (161.8 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Rangemeister; 01-12-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Rangemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-12-2017, 04:31 PM   #2

Sounds like you had a pretty good day out there! What's the recoil like on your K6? Not a revolver person but I've shot a few and the recoil was more than I want to deal with.
starnovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:49 PM   #3

Florence, the weight of the revolver is a pretty big factor. A large frame 357 is about like a nine in your M9, while 357 in a Smith airweight 340 is monstrous. Of course recoil is a relevant experience differing for each of us. The K6s with 357 is a bear! The problem is the short barrel really negates the potential of 357 mag and therefore, 38 special is most widely used in short barrel guns. I found that Speer 38+p, short barrel version, has excellent results and has moderate recoil in the K6s.
starnovi likes this.

Last edited by Rangemeister; 01-12-2017 at 06:55 PM.

Old 01-16-2017, 03:00 PM   #4

Not a fluke!

Just got back from range with Solo. 30 rounds of WWB 115gr came and went without any problem. I did have a weird jam when using one of my extended mags, but I knew it was coming as I detected the mag was not seated and went ahead and fired anyway. Also, I dropped a SHOTSHELL into the chamber, let the slide go forward, then put a magazine of six rounds of 85gr DRT into the grip. Fired the gun, shotshell cycled and all 85gr DRT fired without problem. This is 1350 fps stuff and is working great with NO recoil. By the way, the small marks on the target is the shotshell (21 ft) and the errant round has to be the guys next to me....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg solodrt.JPG (162.7 KB, 6 views)
Marshall, YuK, Tejun and 3 others like this.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:22 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to the iceman
Sounds good rangemeister but you should never drop a cartridge in the chamber and let the slide close it can damage your extractor,only in an emergency would i do that but everything else sounds good
the iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:38 PM   #6

Thanks for the heads up, although I have heard that, have not seen evidence of it???

Last edited by Rangemeister; 01-16-2017 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:47 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to the iceman
It can break the tip off the extractor always load with the mag.i learned it the hard way years ago.btw DRT is good ammo we buy some of there bullets for reloading also some RIP good shooting
the iceman is offline   Reply With Quote