First Range Report for my (New to Me) Solo - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Solo Forum

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2017, 07:28 PM   #1

First Range Report for my (New to Me) Solo

Howdy Everyone !

This morning I grabbed the Solo and some Speer Dot 147 gr & Freedom Munitions 124 gr ammo and headed up to lakehouse. Set up a target at 7 yds, loaded up with Speer Dot 147 and and squeezed off the first round, and it went BANG. Thats a good start.... Looked it over as, based on numerous reports, I wanted to be sure things weren't fallin off of it... all good, so I go for another shot.... click. What ??? No round in the chamber. Cycled the slide but round did not chamber. Looked closer and realized the magazine was not latched. Latched it in and squeezed off next round. Bang ! , then realized slide had not returned fully. Dangit, a weird looking FTE (Jam 1 pic). Cleared the empty round, cycled the slide and shot next round, then... Click (Mag unlatched). Finally finished the first mag with Speer Dot ammo, then changed to the FM 124 gr. First round fires, mag unlatched... re-latched then fired and FTE (Jam 2 pic). Okay, this isn't going well so I figured no need to shoot any more ammo. Target pic also attached (remembered to take pic this time )

Got my M9 out and shot my new 7 rnd mags through two complete cycles with no issues (no surprise there). Gathered up everything and drove rest of the way to lake.

I started thinking through what I'd just experienced and was pretty sure the mag issue was my grip causing it. Figured I'd take the gun down and inspect when I got to lakehouse.

Oh well, looks like I've got me a sho-nuff project right here !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jam1.jpg (178.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Jam2.jpg (93.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Target.jpg (88.6 KB, 7 views)
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-14-2017, 07:52 PM   #2

Followup Findings from Range trip

So I arrived at lakehouse and its a beautiful day (in 70s) and no wind. Really wanted to launch kayak and go fish for a bit, but the Solo was calling me. Went to workbench and disassembled. Upon checking, found that the last round I'd shot had not ejected at all. It was pretty snug in the chamber, but managed to get it worked out. Completed disassembly and checked extractor tension and was a bit loose (in comparison to my Micro 380) but still holds the round in place. Will need to research how (or if) extractor tension can be adjusted later. Got my dremel out and polished the chamber. Got it to a mirror finish and checked it with an unfired round, felt good so I checked with the empty casing that was in the chamber and it would slide in/out with no resistance. Looked over everything else, and found nothing that was concerning so I re-assembled, put three rounds in the mag (man, the springs on the mags are REALLY stiff). Figured I'd start with only 3 rounds in the mag. Went out behind wood pile and fired them off (rapid fire). Worked like a champ. Reloaded three more, and shot through at slower pace. Mag released on last round. I could tell that it was my grip. Loaded up four rounds, and shot one handed (strong hand) and went through the rounds with no issues..... Ok, things are looking better. So I decided to launch the kayak and go fish for a while. Unfortunately, the fish were not cooperating so I came back.

Loaded up the mag with 5 rounds and one in the chamber, shot through them with no issues. Repeated that one more time and it shot through them like a champ.

Figured that would be good for the day, and lit up the pit to grill some chicken wings for the game.

All in all, I'm pleased so far. Really like the feel of this gun in my hand. Just need to pay close attention to the grip and apparently I'm hitting the mag release at some point. Those release buttons really stick out. Wish I could remove the (right side button) for left hand shooting.

Good day at lake, even though I did not catch anything. Can't believe I was fishing in short sleeves with my shoes off !!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KayakView.jpg (109.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 01-14-2017, 08:30 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to the iceman
It will get better TG keep the mags loaded all 6 rounds and try a cheap box of tulAmmo I get it for $8.00 box of fifty steel case all 3 of my solos eat it up and shoot the hell out of it and nice place ou got there
the iceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2017, 08:35 PM   #4

Originally Posted by the iceman View Post
It will get better TG keep the mags loaded all 6 rounds and try a cheap box of tulAmmo I get it for $8.00 box of fifty steel case all 3 of my solos eat it up and shoot the hell out of it and nice place ou got there
Thanks for the tip on the ammo. I've got the mags stuffed with 6 rounds each right now.
Hoffbrew likes this.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:03 PM   #5

Good detailed report on the Solo...Not a bad start and it can only get better with a few more range sessions..

Nice place that your at btw...
the iceman likes this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 01:27 AM   #6

Great report. I love my solo after the bugs got worked out.
Rangemeister, YuK and the iceman like this.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:45 AM   #7

Good report, but based on my conversations with freedom munitions, I would NOT have used their 124 until after I fired at least 24 rounds of Premium self defense. The FM 124 would not cycle in a Solo I owned, when I spoke with their tech rep(FM), he said their 124 was NOT premium self defense and I should read the gun manual. The activity that followed is memorialized on this forum. One of the reasons I stopped buying from FM. Good luck, I love my Solo DC as it will shoot any 9mm I put in it.
Rangemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:54 AM   #8

I broke my Solo in with Nato 124 and never had one issue with it. It didn't like the Freedom Munition at all until I got it back from Yonkers and then it would shoot anything and everything.
I guess you can say that each Solo has its own diet.
the iceman likes this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:11 AM   #9

Thanks Marshall & Rangemeister.

The FM 124 gr was all I had other than a few rounds of the Speer Dot 147. I shot the Speer Dot first and only had the one issue with the empty casing not fully ejected (first pic). I stopped at the outdoor shooting area again yesterday on way back home and shot another 50 rounds of the FM 124 gr. Did not have one failure to extract this time, so I guess the chamber polishing did some good. The only issues I was experiencing was the mag releasing when firing. The other issue was the last round in a magazine not fully ejecting. One time, when the mag had prematurely released, after latching it in, I cycled the slide (there was only one remaining round in the mag) and I heard a noise like the mag follower spring had hung up and then snapped free (not sure exactly how to describe the sound). I then noticed that was the magazine I was having the problem with the last round ejecting. When I got home, I inspected that mag and found the larger end of the spring was on the follower end, which results in some of the spring sticking out in the notched area where the follower hits the slide stop after last round is chambered. Not sure how that could cause the problem I was having but the spring is in the correct way now and both mags fully loaded and sitting in the safe ready for the next range trip. Going to look for better ammo today.

Compared to how it was acting the first time I shot it, I'd say its a definite improvement. Just have to address each issue one at a time.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:21 AM   #10

Great report. Is that a fish finder on your kayak? I have a similar set-up on mine.
Looks like you had a good day!

Mike
NRA
Amvets Life Member
Navy Vet
RugerLuger is offline   Reply With Quote