Solo Magazine Release - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Solo Forum

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By Tejun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2017, 11:28 AM   #1

Solo Magazine Release

This morning I took the Solo out and field stripped it to look at the magazine release mechanism. Figured I would dive in and take the mag release apart to see if there was anything blatantly obvious that could be causing the mags to release like they have been. My thoughts were the two latches might not be engaging the magazine enough and that is why the shimmed magazine works.

I looked for some info on youtube and on KT but could not find anything with any detail about how to remove the mag release, so I just dove in. Figured I could always send it to Kimber in a box to put it back together for me I started by removing the rollpin for the release button. What I noticed as soon as I did that was the button rotated counter clockwise about 1/16". To get the rollpin back inserted, I would have to roll the button clockwise a bit, which in turn moves the latch forks a bit in the direction that would release a mag. Continued on disassembling. The spring was real booger to get out... figured it would be even harder to get back in Once I had the release button out I studied the wear marks on it as well as the latching mechanism. Lot of squared edges so I took a small file and smoothed the areas that touched based on the patterns I saw in the wear marks. When I was pleased with it, I polished it up and reassembled. I won't go in to great detail about getting that $#!? spring back in, but once I got it all reassembled the result was less pressure on the latches in the neutral position. I get a positive latch and releasing the mags is smoother not as tight and hard to disengage as before. Will take it to the range this coming week and she how it performs.
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-28-2017, 12:07 PM   #2

I have forgot you on sending the mags I have just been busy and lazy!
I will get them to you.
Dan
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 12:25 PM   #3

Originally Posted by Nellybelle View Post
I have forgot you on sending the mags I have just been busy and lazy!
I will get them to you.
Dan
No problem Dan. I've got plenty of things to keep me busy these days
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

kimber solo mag release button

Click on a term to search for related topics.