• 2 Post By Tejun
  • 2 Post By Nellybelle
  • 1 Post By Tejun
  • 2 Post By Marshall
  • 1 Post By DOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2017, 01:00 PM   #1

Lunchtime Rangetime

Went out for my weekly range trip to shoot the Solo after doing a thorough inspection/cleaning and some tweeking on the mag release mechanism this weekend. Also brought my UC2 and Smith & Wesson M&P 22 pistols for some exercise.

Started with the Solo. Over the weekend I placed a .005" shim on one of the other magazines so I now have one unshimmed, one with a .01" shim and one with .005". I had stuffed all three with six rounds and stuffing is an appropriate term as getting that last round in takes some effort. Using the Nato 124gr ammo, first up was the unshimmed magazine. Cycled slide and the round did not chamber fully. Bumped the slide with my hand and it finished chambering. Fired the first shot and got a Failure to Extract and slide stuck partially open. Cleared it, removed that magazine and put the .005" shimmed mag in. Cycled, fired and same thing a FTE with slide stuck partially open. Cleared that, removed the mag and put (ole faithful) the .01" shimmed mag, cycled, fired and all good.... shot the remaining rounds in the mag without a hiccup. Then I grabbed the .005" mag (with only 5 rounds still in it), cycled, fired 5 rounds with no issues. Grabbed the unshimmed mag (also 5 rounds left in it), cycled and fired 4 rounds with no issues then the mag prematurely released on last round.

Reloaded all three mag with 6 rounds and the gun performed flawlessly with the two shimmed mags AS WELL AS the unshimmed mag this time

Reloaded all three and all good till the third round on the unshimmed mag, when the magazine prematurely released. Continued on through a total of 80 rounds and the two shimmed mags performed without issue. With the unshimmed mag, I'd get a premature mag release occasionally, but not consistently like I was in previous round trips (with the unshimmed mags). I painstakenly made sure I was not holding the pistol in a way that I was bumping the mag release upon firing and it does not appear that is the case. If I was, it seems that I would get an occasional release with one of the other magazines

The .001" shimmed mag has the most rounds cycled through it so I'm thinking I just need to keep shooting with the other two as well. They are both harder to get that last round in than the .001" mag, and one is brand new (less than 10 rounds before today).

Shot three mags with the UC2 and it chugged right through them with no issue. Truly a joy to shoot. Then grabbed the M&P and that was like shooting a BB Gun after all the 9MM & 45 rounds I'd just shot.

As far as my (new to me) used Solo, I'm gonna keep on shootin.

It definitely seems to be getting better with each range trip
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-31-2017, 01:23 PM   #2

So do you think the mags are flawed?...not properly fitting the mag well and that is why they are releasing? I had this problem with the modified Sig mag for my Micro9 and then with the Kimber extended mags, but last time out to the range none of the Kimber mags dropped during firing. I too did the same thing by making sure I was not hitting the mag release button, but it's so low and not easily pressed without deliberately pressing it.

I'm glad your Solo is performing and getting better for you. My UC is a 9mm but it really is a great shooter, my favorite pistol by far. Really liking my Sig Ultra 45 too.
Rangemeister likes this.
starnovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 01:31 PM   #3

Originally Posted by starnovi View Post
So do you think the mags are flawed?...not properly fitting the mag well and that is why they are releasing? I had this problem with the modified Sig mag for my Micro9 and then with the Kimber extended mags, but last time out to the range none of the Kimber mags dropped during firing. I too did the same thing by making sure I was not hitting the mag release button, but it's so low and not easily pressed without deliberately pressing it.

I'm glad your Solo is performing and getting better for you. My UC is a 9mm but it really is a great shooter, my favorite pistol by far. Really liking my Sig Ultra 45 too.
I was thinking that the mags were the issue, so I ordered a new one from Kimber, but it measured the same as the two I already had. Rangemeister also measured his and they were the same also.

The other thing I've noticed is that if you get the magazine seated too far forward (say with a thicker shim), then the two prongs of the magazine catch will/could catch the follower in the mag as it travels up.
Rangemeister and starnovi like this.

Old 01-31-2017, 02:22 PM   #4

You are going to get the problem figured out I'm sure.
Does anyone at Kimber have any interest in the testing you are doing?
They Should!!!!!!!!!!
If the problem is an improper mag width, Kimber should be shot with their own gun. This should have been caught by Kimber early on.
Rangemeister and starnovi like this.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:30 PM   #5

Originally Posted by Nellybelle View Post
You are going to get the problem figured out I'm sure.
Does anyone at Kimber have any interest in the testing you are doing?
They Should!!!!!!!!!!
If the problem is an improper mag width, Kimber should be shot with their own gun. This should have been caught by Kimber early on.
I'm sure there might be a long line of Solo owners (past & present) that would offer up to "shoot them"

I had called Kimber CS a few weeks ago to see if there was a design change or noted problem with the mag release mechanism or magazines themselves. The guy I talked to said there was nothing he was aware of, but they may have a script they have to follow for questions like that.

I'm going to give them a call and tell them what I've learned. More than likely, they will want me to send it to them.
starnovi likes this.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:16 PM   #6

Glad to see that you're working out the bugs with the different mags..

The Solo is the reason that I bought an UpLula loader for my mags..That 6th round was always a bear to get in, but not any longer..
Rangemeister and DOS like this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:45 AM   #7
DOS

Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Glad to see that you're working out the bugs with the different mags..

The Solo is the reason that I bought an UpLula loader for my mags..That 6th round was always a bear to get in, but not any longer..
UpLula, Yes! Works for me too...
Marshall likes this.
DOS is offline   Reply With Quote