Range Trip Tuesday with the Solo.... Good Things Happened !! - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Solo Forum

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2017, 01:28 PM   #1

Range Trip Tuesday with the Solo.... Good Things Happened !!

Could this actually be a positive post about a Solo ????

Yep, it sure is. It had been a little over a week since I replaced all the magazine release parts and I was very anxious to get to the range. Brought along my Micro 380 and Colt Mustang 380 pistols (review will be posted in appropriate area).

Loaded up the Solo this morning with my three magazines (one unshimmed and two with shims) along with my newly installed SGM Grips. Started with the unshimmed magazine with Winchester Nato 124gr ammo. Shot once, shot twice.... shot six times with no issues.... What ?? Loaded up that magazine again and it shot through all six rounds without a hiccup. Past experiences would entail one to two incidents of the magazine releasing when firing.

Inserted one of the shimmed mags and shot through all six rounds no issues, then the next and 6 rounds with not a problem. I'm starting to feel pretty good at this point. All said, I put 100 rounds through the gun without one single problem. Golleeee Sgt Carter !!!

Really like the SGM grips as they added a bit of girth to the grip.

I will be the first to admit that this is by no way an indication this sweet little pistol is ready for prime time EDC, but it is absolutely the best range trip thus far
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RangeTrip1 2-21-17.jpg (108.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg RangeTrip2 2-21-17.jpg (102.0 KB, 8 views)
Nellybelle, Marshall, YuK and 6 others like this.
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-21-2017, 02:45 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to the iceman
The solo is the best pocket carry made,now if kimber would just do it right the first time.any gun can malfunction at any time may be the gun,the ammo or the shooter who knows?if I can have (3) solos that have been perfect kimber could do it for every one.my first solo I bought 11-2013 it has well over 3000 rounds through it,why can't they all?
Nellybelle, YuK and Tejun like this.
the iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 05:34 PM   #3

Great to hear another good report on a Solo TGL.....I still say there's a job waiting for you in Yonkers....
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2017, 08:27 AM   #4

Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Great to hear another good report on a Solo TGL.....I still say there's a job waiting for you in Yonkers....
Ha !! Thanks Marshall, but I think I'll stay down here in the South where the temps are a bit warmer this time of year.

I realized this morning that I did not mention that I removed the shims from the two other mags after I was experiencing no issues with the unshimmed magazing, so basically I shot probably 75 rounds with magazines in their factory condition. Also, 50 of the 100 rounds was with Freedom Munitions 124gr ammo. Brought my Upula this time and that made loading that last round much easier.
Nellybelle and Marshall like this.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:41 AM   #5

Umm... I hate being the one that needs to break this to you, but I read this morning that we need to get rid of our Solo guns because they're not dependable.....

Keep up the great work with your Solo and keep reporting the great news.....
Nellybelle and Mini Me like this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:58 AM   #6

Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Umm... I hate being the one that needs to break this to you, but I read this morning that we need to get rid of our Solo guns because they're not dependable.....

Keep up the great work with your Solo and keep reporting the great news.....
Yea, I know.... was just reading that while drinking my first cup of coffee and trying to determine if mine might make a good trotline weight at the lake ?? NOT !!

I'm keeping my eye out for any fire sales from the "sky is falling" crowd in hopes of picking up another one at a bargain basement price
Nellybelle, Marshall and Mini Me like this.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:17 AM   #7

Fools! Because I have read the truth! We must abolish all posts that have positive results!

On topic: nice range report. I haven't had mine at the range for quite a few months now. Better get it out and make sure it still works
Nellybelle and Marshall like this.
Mini Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:45 AM   #8

Good to hear that you are having success with your solo. BTW, the grips look really good too...on solo and 380! My 380 continues to confound me. It will shoot 6 rounds perfectly then FTF on the 7th every magazine. Still hanging in though.
Nellybelle likes this.

Last edited by starnovi; 02-22-2017 at 10:52 AM.
starnovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:02 AM   #9

Originally Posted by starnovi View Post
Good to hear that you are having success with your solo. BTW, the grips look really good too...on solo and 380! My 380 continues to confound me. It will shoot 6 rounds perfectly then FTF on the 7th every magazine. Still hanging in though.
Hey Starnovi !!
Thanks , the grips on the Micro are VZGrips and I got the ones for the Solo at SGM. Sorry to hear you are still having issues with your Advocate. I haven't posted the details in shooting my Micro and Colt Mustang yet but short version; Micro did great. Colt however started to get a FRF on last round also do I need to look in to that. It was with the Sig Mag though and that could be the issue or Ammo. I'd not shot the FM ammo in that gun before. First failures ever for the little Colt.
Mini Me and starnovi like this.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:13 AM   #10

Originally Posted by TGLeBlanc View Post
Hey Starnovi !!
Thanks , the grips on the Micro are VZGrips and I got the ones for the Solo at SGM. Sorry to hear you are still having issues with your Advocate. I haven't posted the details in shooting my Micro and Colt Mustang yet but short version; Micro did great. Colt however started to get a FRF on last round also do I need to look in to that. It was with the Sig Mag though and that could be the issue or Ammo. I'd not shot the FM ammo in that gun before. First failures ever for the little Colt.
That's good to hear, it gives me hope that I will work out whatever the problem is with my micro. It has really improved but it's just not there yet. I put VZ grips on my micro 9 while the laser grips were not functioning, I really like the look and feel of them on the 9. I did look for your range report in the micro carry section, I'll check back later. Have a good day.
Nellybelle likes this.
starnovi is offline   Reply With Quote