Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Cucamonga kid
  • 2 Post By Soloist
  • 3 Post By Chuck43
  • 1 Post By Maineiac64

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2017, 09:42 AM   #1

solo 8 rnd

Do the new 8 rnd solo mags work any better now , or just chalk up n through it out?
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-27-2017, 02:17 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to the iceman
I would stay with the 6 round for carry I never use the 8s don't trust them
the iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:08 PM   #3

I never have tried the eight round mags because of the problems I read about. I had enough problems with the six round mags. I only ever had two 6 round mags. Maybe some of my problems of failures to feed were magazine related?
the iceman likes this.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:16 PM   #4

There is no doubt the 8 Rd early mags had issues . I have no idea about the new ones. I sent for mags back to KIMBER and when the came back the 2 8 Rd were marked bad . One had never been in a pistol it was brand new. KIMBER replaced two 8rd with 4 6 Rd. And Cuca may be correct about the 8rd mags and issues.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:40 AM   #5

to each his own... I have two 8's and two 6's, purchased at different times and different locations, never had a single failure from any of them. While I'm sure somebody somewhere some time had a legitimate beef with a Solo or the mags, I *chalk it up* to operator error. As an IT professional, I'd say 99% of PC problems I've seen in 23 years have occured do to "PEBKAC" which means, problem exists between keyboard and chair. The Kimber Solo in MY hand, loaded with 124 or 147gr JHP's, does not fail. Period. Loaded with 115gr FMJ = failure, albeit random and infrequent. But that's like putting 79 octane gasoline in a Ferrari now isn't it?

If anyone has a 8 round mag that fails them - I DARE YOU - to send it to me and let me test it. Do not believe the me-too's of the internet, if you do you'll end up with a Glock or something worse!
YuK and the iceman like this.
Soloist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:40 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Magazines are mechanical things and they can malfunction. Last year I was in a discussion with another member (Zoomy) that had a couple of problematic 1911 9mm magazines he was going to toss. I asked him to send them to me, I cleaned and and adjusted the lips and followers and had them back in service in less then 30 minutes. To the best of my knowledge he's still using those magazines.
YuK, the iceman and Soloist like this.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:28 AM   #7

Maybe you could provide instructions or a video?
Trex likes this.
Maineiac64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:29 AM   #8

step 1 : load the bullets with the primer facing the rear of the magazine.
step 2 : insert magazine into pistol.
step 3 : charge pistol, depress trigger 8 times.
step 4: insert another loaded magazine and repeat step 3.

I did write a post some time ago about disassembling a mag, cleaning and lubricating the inside of it, spring and follower... it may have made loading 5-10% easier. About the only other thing I can think someone may want to do is the old "tap and rack" trick, where you slam the mag down on it's back to even up all the rounds, but as tight as the Solo 8rd mag is fully loaded I seriously doubt they would move at all. My offer stands - if you have a faulty mag, send it to me, and I'll verify it works fine.
Soloist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:19 AM   #9

The reason I asked was when I first got my solo in 2011 , I bought 2 8 rnd mags both failed. The 6 rnd worked flawless. I even left them loaded with 8 rnds in safe after cleaning for approximately 6 to 8 month's. Still nfg, so stuck to 6 rnd with homemade pinky extensions. Last year when I purchased a micro 380, I ordered 7 rnd mags from kimber and they sent 1 solo 8rnd. Called them and they said keep it. This one works 99 percent so far.
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:45 AM   #10

My six round mag's worked without fail. My eight round mag, however, failed consistently with rounds nose diving and failure to feed.
I since only use my six round mag's all of which have the finger extension's which I love.
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

do 8rnd kimber solo mags work

Click on a term to search for related topics.