safety - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Solo Forum

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2017, 09:17 PM  

safety

i know some models of semi auto pistols come both with and without safety. is there any difference, other than the lever, between them? such as longer or harder trigger pull.

Is it safe to carry a solo with a round chambered and safety off like a glock or Khar? thanks.

my first Kimber.

Last edited by opr1945; 04-30-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-30-2017, 04:38 AM  

Welcome to KT from Northeast, Pa.
I don't have a Solo and I'm not sure if there are any other safeties but I would use the safety when I carry. I would practice drawing the gun and disengaging the safety so it becomes 2nd nature and you won't have to think about it.
I'm no gunsmith but I don't see any reason your trigger would work differently with a safety installed.
When you have a round chambered and no safety engage it's called Condition Zero, I think most around here carry Condition One, round chambered and safety engaged.
Go have some fun with your Solo and tell us how you like it.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:57 AM  
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois opr1945. If a gun has a safety, use it, as JC suggested practice drawing and disengaging the safety but use the safety.

How about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership?
rlk, swca and DaveinNC like this.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:01 AM  

I carry a solo with loaded chamber and safety on. Like previous post practice with safety on, drawing and pushing safety off as you come on target.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:08 AM  
YuK

Originally Posted by opr1945 View Post
i know some models of semi auto pistols come both with and without safety. is there any difference, other than the lever, between them? such as longer or harder trigger.
The Thumb safeties has operational method very similar for different pistols, but conceptually it can blocking different things
- slide
- trigger bar
- sear
Solo's thumb safety is blocking a sear.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:48 PM  

Originally Posted by opr1945 View Post
Is it safe to carry a solo with a round chambered and safety off like a glock or Khar? thanks.
Because of the long, heavy trigger pull, I was comfortable carrying the Solo with the safety off. For my purposes, a Solo without a safety would make much more sense.
ChattanoogaPhil likes this.

Join the NRA
Old 04-30-2017, 01:08 PM  

Even with the safety off, a Solo will only fire with the trigger pulled.
And yes there is enough travel in the trigger pull of a Solo as to remove any doubt of an accidental pull against the trigger.
That being said, I always carry with the safety on as it is an automatic reflex to remove the safety when drawing the gun.
For me, at least, the automatic sweep of my thumb against the safety is easy and comes naturally.
But even without the safety on, the Solo's perfectly safe to carry as the firing pin block will stay in place until the trigger is pulled far enough to release the block. No accidental discharge even if gun is dropped to the ground.

Last edited by Trex; 05-01-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:44 PM  

If I carried my Solo, which I don't, I certainly would not engage the thumb safety. The Solo thumb safety lever was designed for low profile, not function. These little miniature controls are a very poor idea to be fumbling with in a high stress situation. On the flip side, since the thumb safety is ambidextrous, its just an unneeded lever for right handed carriers to get engaged or disengaged by bumping something while carrying depending on your holster.

IMO, it's just a bad idea all around.

See the thumb safety here?

How about here?

DaveinNC likes this.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 04-30-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 04:27 PM  

On a side note... talking about training to disengage the safety until it becomes a reflex motion is one thing, mastering it is quite another.

Over the years I've seen countless well experienced shooters standing up to the firing line... squeeze the trigger... nothing. Safety engaged. It won't get any better under high stress. Something to seriously consider.
rlk and starnovi like this.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:26 PM  

Up until now I had no guns with safeties to worry about. revolves, Glocks, Kahr, Smith Wesson. I didn't intend to have one more thing to remember to do in a carry gun so no safeties. pull, gun, point, pull trigger, bang.

An opportunity presented to purchase the Solo from a friend. so I did. If carrying a round in the chamber and safety off is like the other guns requiring significant trigger pull to fire the gun, like my others, Great. Double action?

If, however, carrying one in the chamber and safety off is like the 1911s (or carrying a revolver with the hammer cocked) meaning slight movement of trigger causes gun to fire, then Whoa. not a good idea, unsafe. Single action?

Which do you think it is?

Thanks, by the way for the posts.