solo grips - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Solo Forum

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2017, 11:49 AM   #1

solo grips

Just got off the phone with kimber, been trying to buy solo dc micarta grips. They didn't have any so I'll continue my searching for them. Anyway he said don't be surprised to see them on their lineup in the future. Anyone that has the original dc grips that wants to sell them, contact me. Have a good day all.
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-19-2017, 01:02 AM   #2

I have the DC grips, don't want to sell them because I may sell the gun someday.. but I can tell you this - THEY SUCK. First off they are like holding a handful of razor blades, first thing I did was remove them and sand the high points down so they didn't hurt to touch. Then I ordered a set of smooth wood grips from SGM (just google kimber solo grips or look on ebay). For one his grips are thicker, more round and filling of the hand. For two, you can get any material or finish. They are NOT perfect by any means, but they are better than stock by a mile.
Soloist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:45 AM   #3

Thank you for your reply soloist, I on the other hand like aggressive grips. I have very aggressive gray/black grips on my solo sts. Again thank you and if you change your mind let me know. I'll continue my search and if you hear of any please let me know

Old 07-19-2017, 05:06 PM   #4
YuK

Originally Posted by 427malibu View Post
Thank you for your reply soloist, I on the other hand like aggressive grips. I have very aggressive gray/black grips on my solo sts. Again thank you and if you change your mind let me know. I'll continue my search and if you hear of any please let me know
SGMGrips.com -
YuK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:57 PM   #5

Thanks for the input yuk , looked at them don't seem same. I know I'm a nit picker. The stock ones look black/ tan , the web site has blk/gry or brn/ blk. Again thanks. If anyone who has them can tell me the exact color I would appreciate it. The pictures on line stink.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:29 PM   #6

VZ makes grips for the Solo:

VZ Grips

My stock grips are black/grey. These look pretty close:

Solo Tactical Slants black/gray
Tejun likes this.

Last edited by WaveGuy; 07-19-2017 at 08:34 PM.
WaveGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:35 AM   #7

Thanks waveguy , ordered them
Old 07-20-2017, 06:28 AM   #8

Originally Posted by 427malibu View Post
Thanks waveguy , ordered them
Two thumbs up for the VZ grips.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20170720-072507.jpg (424.5 KB, 4 views)
YuK, Tejun and Mini Me like this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 02:54 AM   #9

SGM can probably copy the stock ones. but if you want really aggressive, I'd think that hand grenade pattern with a diamond pattern on top would be like holding a porcupine. If you're having trouble keeping a grip on the gun, the $27 finger extension for the mag is the best thing you can do for your gun.... and also the SGM grips are, unless you tell him otherwise, a little thicker and rounder than stock. So it fills the hand nicer. They basically widen out to the width of the grip safety. Personally I wish I had them done even wider, but oh well... you live and you learn. The reason I went with smooth grips is for concealment - When I pocket carry my hand glides over the gun without any drag or snag. When I holster carry, no clothing or otherwise snags on the gun. The only thing I despise about the DC model is the terrible knurling on the front strap. I really wish it were smooth like the other models. But, since it's there, I saw no reason to checker the grips too, since that area is already too aggressive. Ideally, but I don't see it happening, someone would make a tacky rubber wrap around grip with finger grooves.... THAT would be ideal to me. I guess the old 1911's spoiled me but I wouldn't go back after carrying the Solo.
Soloist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:49 AM   #10

Thanks soloist, sgm e mailed me and said they can duplicate them or anything I would like. As far as grip, I make a mag extension out of 1911 slam pads for kimber tac mags. I just had to grind the bottom 1911 metal pad to fit the solo, n screw on my choice of plastic pads. I have sgm grips on my solo sts , they are aggressive so the gun stays put for follow up shots. Thanks again.