2nd Range Report - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Solo Forum

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2017, 11:17 AM   #1

2nd Range Report

Well Honesty always works the best..

My second range report was not 100% positive..

I did not clean the gun from the first outing as I wanted to test it uncleaned to see how finicky it might be.. I also used Winchester instead of Federal's 124 and 147..

I started out with 147 first as I had not run enough before to determine it's reaction... I was fine for about 30 rounds then 2 fail to eject separated by a couple of mags.. I got tired of that so I went to 124 thinking the higher grains might be a factor.. I shot about 25 rounds with no problem and was happy for a bit, then low and behold with 2-3 rounds in the mag I got one more FTE.. Shot a few more rounds with no problems..

I gave it a good cleaning last night and will have at it one more time, if no problems I will try the same procedure a few more times before sending it to Kimber.. The next go round I will go back to Federal again and see what I see.. I'll keep you updated. LOL still love the feel and how this gun shoots, size and trigger..

I don't give up easily sometimes to a fault!!!

Question my LGS said to bring it to them first and if then can't deal with it they will send it to Kimber, does that infringe on the warranty in anyway that you know of?

Thanks as always
Have a Great one
Bish likes this.

Last edited by Blfinish; 10-05-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Blfinish is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-05-2017, 01:51 PM   #2

If someone other than Kimber works on you gun it can void your warranty. I'm sure you can get away with adjustments but modifying or polishing that they can notice will void your warranty. Good luck on your next range visit.
Blfinish likes this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 05:02 PM   #3

Originally Posted by JC45 View Post
If someone other than Kimber works on you gun it can void your warranty. I'm sure you can get away with adjustments but modifying or polishing that they can notice will void your warranty. Good luck on your next range visit.
Thanks JC45 I kind of figured that, these guys are the biggest shop in Tucson and a big Kimber dealer so I'm sure they know the ins and outs but I will chk with Kimber first..

Again
thanks
bl
JC45 likes this.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:33 AM   #4

I know this Solo thing is a real pain to respond to for the people that don't like them, I understand completely but for the members that do like and have gotten their solo's to work efficiently please hang in there with me..

I did speak to the cs gal at Kimber and she stirred me away from the white box Winchester and as we spoke I told her my first outing was perfect with Federals so we agreed to go back to the original ammo..

I love baseball, having seen the Brooklyn Dodgers when I was about 6-7 got me hooked. I played quite a bit thru HS so a few yrs back when the Dodgers were in the race I went out and bought a A2K Wilson pro glove, then immediately went on to youtube and found the Wilson guru glove breakin guy from Japan, he said "Use water 150 Degrees but Do Not use boiling water" to me the Solo represents the same type mentality It likes supreme, not regular! I purchased it knowing that, so that's what it is...

Again thanks for all your help
bl
Chuck43 and swca like this.

Last edited by Blfinish; 10-06-2017 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:35 PM   #5

No need to self inflict a Solo headache. They're pretty good at doing that without any help.

It's small cary gun. No need to be fooling around with it being dirty on a second range session with a different mix of ammo on marathon reliability tests then wondering why you're having problems and now starting from scratch on your 3rd range visit... and you've already called Kimber... blah blah blah.

My suggesting is clean the gun before each range visit. Do research on what ammo you really want to carry and stick with it if it operates reliably. No need to play ammo variety games. Suggest Fed HST 124. It can be purchased relatively inexpensive 50/$20 at places like SGAmmo and MassAmmo. Put a few mags through it. If it operates reliably take it home, clean, repeat.

Good luck.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:02 PM   #6

Don't wait. Send it to Kimber. Chase my posts for my experience, very similar to yours. And no problems whatsoever since its repair and return. It's a very nifty little pistol.
Rangemeister, swca and Blfinish like this.
5Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:44 PM   #7

I have 3 , all run excellent on 135 grn hydro shok.
Rangemeister, YuK, Tejun and 1 others like this.
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 01:49 AM   #8

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
No need to self inflict a Solo headache. They're pretty good at doing that without any help.

It's small cary gun. No need to be fooling around with it being dirty on a second range session with a different mix of ammo on marathon reliability tests then wondering why you're having problems and now starting from scratch on your 3rd range visit... and you've already called Kimber... blah blah blah.

My suggesting is clean the gun before each range visit. Do research on what ammo you really want to carry and stick with it if it operates reliably. No need to play ammo variety games. Suggest Fed HST 124. It can be purchased relatively inexpensive 50/$20 at places like SGAmmo and MassAmmo. Put a few mags through it. If it operates reliably take it home, clean, repeat.

Good luck.
Thanks

Got it! I'm someone that likes to test the waters, but yes I'm headed out tomorrow all cleaned and ready to move on it with Federals in hand
Old 10-07-2017, 01:50 AM   #9

Originally Posted by 427malibu View Post
I have 3 , all run excellent on 135 grn hydro shok.
I'll check those out...

Got it !!!
Thanks
bl
Old 10-09-2017, 09:56 AM   #10

I am one that can say without uncertainty, Kimber will not honor warranty if "tampering" is obvious, regardless who did the tampering. I have had great success with my DC and have had similar results with other Solo's and Know of only person who did not like their Solo. Some go back. some don't. The gun is meant to be a pocket pistol and not a target shooter. After about 300 initial rds I take mine out for about a 4 mag run regularly and use WHATEVER ammo I have available. It is a great and fun gun. I did stock up on Win NATO 124 and carry FED 124 HST. Weird, this summer I have been carrying DRT 85gr after I put a lot of that ammo through it. Good luck and hope this little gun works out for you!
5Wire, YuK and 427malibu like this.
Rangemeister is offline   Reply With Quote