Kimber Talk Forums banner

Replace springs after only 1000 rounds?

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Warthogge 
#1 ·
New here and find this hard to believe on and expensive gun! I love my solo but wow!
Is this really necessary? What happens if you don't?
Thanks

#2 ·
I had the same question regarding a different Kimber.
Maybe it's because we are from Georgia :D:D?

Reactions: Insta-Gator
#4 · (Edited)
Welcome to the site from Tennessee, ldpcdp!
It is not carved in stone! It is a guideline! If you start having feeding, loading, ejection failures, springs would be the first thing to check/replace.

#5 · (Edited)
What happens if you don't? Well, at round number 1001 the pistol will explode and kill everyone around you.

Seriously though, the slide will begin to slam harder and harder into the frame as it wears out. Replacing the spring at the recommended interval will prolong the service life of your pistol. It's a cheap part. Don't worry about it, just do it. As with any preventive maintenance, you are replacing it before it becomes a problem rather than waiting until you notice it has worn out.

It's just like the oil argument in cars. You can go longer than the manufacturer recommended intervals. Should you? The answer is, it depends.

I'll also add that if you use this pistol for defensive purposes, your answer should be a little stricter than if it is just a range gun.

#8 ·
Welcome to KT, from another Georgian.

The guns are durable, but every product has a "consumable" component. The consumable components help protect the rest of the product. And for $10.00 or so, it's not a big deal. I think a lot of people coming from the poly world never shoot enough rounds to wear out a spring, so the concept is foreign to them, especially considering the price difference.

Reactions: DGM1962
#9 ·
Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois ldpcdp, how about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership.

#11 ·
Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois tonyvacc, how about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.