Apparently I got a good one - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Solo Forum

Like Tree52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2018, 07:53 PM   #1

Apparently I got a good one

I just picked up a gently used Solo CDP LG and I'm impressed. I bought it Wednesday afternoon from the gentleman selling it and decided to run her through the paces Thursday after coffee. Included in the sale were 7 mags, leather pocket holster, original paperwork, box, and zippered case. I loaded 3 6rd mags, and 3 8 rd mags to the brim. (That didn't work as tension from a full 8 rd mag almost locked the slide from so much pressure.) So I removed one round from each mag and walked out into the back yard. Only 9mm ammo I had in the house was 115gr ball ammo that my daughter shoots in her Sig p938, so after reading all of the stories of the Solo being a picky eater, I went out expecting some occasional failures. That never happened...
Slow fire, rapid fire, two hand, one hand, that sexy little Solo ate them all without so much as a hiccup. Since I was only testing the Solo, I didn't walk down to my range, I only walked as far as the woodpile. One log in particular drew my ire and from 30 feet I noticed a tight little group forming. So, I guess my question is this. If it's not broke, should I fix it? Should I still have it Yonkerized at the motherland? And as long as it eats the little 115gr cheap stuff, any harm in continuing to feed it that? I had ordered some 125 and 147 defense loads before the test firing, and I don't mind using that stuff as well, but if it groups and shoots well with the lighter stuff, why not??
PS as of this writing, I still own the Solo, but I truly fear that my female unit will somehow claim it as her own soon. That little firearm is just that damn sexy....if my wife says a gun is "cute" that speaks volumes. Thanks for any feedback

Last edited by VaTreeFarmer; 02-09-2018 at 09:02 PM.
VaTreeFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-09-2018, 08:11 PM   #2

If it isn't broke don't fix it. Give Kimber Customer Service a call on Monday and give them the serial number of it and have them check if it has ever been Yonkered. They will be able to tell you if it has and what work was performed.

Glad to hear that your new 2 you Solo is working as it should.

Customer Service
Toll-Free: (888) 243-4522
International Calls: +1-406-758-2222
Hours: MĖF, 9:30 a.m.Ė 6 p.m. Eastern
2sharp2, Mini Me and VaTreeFarmer like this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:28 PM   #3

Most Solo owners have problems with 115 gr ammo. The fact that yours shoots it OK might be a symptom of a week recoil spring. Not knowing the exact round count I would install a fresh one. Congrats on your your new acquisition.
Chuck43 and VaTreeFarmer like this.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:34 PM   #4

Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
Most Solo owners have problems with 115 gr ammo. The fact that yours shoots it OK might be a symptom of a week recoil spring. Not knowing the exact round count I would install a fresh one. Congrats on your your new acquisition.
Thanks, I reckon there's no harm in ordering a spare.
I had heard that the Solo can be a little "snappy" in recoil, yet I didn't find that to be the case. Will the heavier but slower rounds make it less fun to handle?
The gent I bought it from was an agent for a 3 letter agency in DC. He seemed legit and honest. It was his (unapproved by agency) off-duty carry arm for 1.5 years. He stated that he had only fed it 147gr Hydra-shock and only about 100 total rounds.
Chuck43 and YuK like this.

Last edited by VaTreeFarmer; 02-09-2018 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:38 PM   #5

Gotta wonder why he sold it.
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:47 PM   #6

Congrats on the Solo. I would call KIMBER let them look it over to insure all pins are tight and it is working right. Mine needed the chamber and throat clean out a little. I love mine and I suspect you will also.
Chuck43, YuK and VaTreeFarmer like this.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:54 PM   #7

The fact that yours shoots it OK might be a symptom of a weak recoil spring..
A couple of signs of that would be having feeding issues and failure of the slide not going back to full battery.
Chuck43, Mini Me and VaTreeFarmer like this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:56 PM   #8

Gotta wonder why he sold it.
He bought it because he liked carrying a smaller arm. But the Solo was not on his agencys approved list, so it was his civilian off duty gun, About a year after he bought the Solo, his agency approved Glock 43, so he didn't have to keep changing his EDC anymore.
Based on how it looks and has functioned, I can't imagine him selling it for any sort of dissatisfaction. Lord knows that I'm tickled with it so far.
Chuck43, Marshall, YuK and 5 others like this.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:13 PM   #9

I bought a used solo stainless awhile back and have had no issues. I would like to put night sights on it.
Chuck43 and YuK like this.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:35 PM   #10

You might as well give it to the female unit and get it over with.
Warthogge is offline   Reply With Quote