Little help via Solo owners - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Solo Forum

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2015, 08:40 AM   #1
jdb

Little help via Solo owners

This is my first Kimber - First day out had many fail to feed and eject problems, but then the slide stopped holding open, took it home and gave her a good cleaning, back to the range - stepped up to 147 grain to see if that fixed the problem, still very unreliable. Then, at about the 240 rd mark the grip fell off, not screws backing off, the grip screws pulled the grommets out of the frame. I sent it back to Kimber, its been in prison for nearly a month now. I have no doubt they will fix it, but my question is, has anyone received a Solo that had to be sent back that came back a 100% reliable?
XDgirl likes this.
jdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-01-2015, 09:03 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois jdb, I'm not a Solo owner but we do have a number of members with them and a lot of them have had to return them to the factory for repairs.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:23 AM   #3

I bought my Solo CDP when it was first released on the shelves. I've never had a problem with it, and I've put over 500 rds through it.
Paul Neuhaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2015, 12:01 PM   #4
jdb

Thats what I was hoping to do, I won't carry a pistol until I get 500 rds through it at close to 100%. I sure want it to work, as I like everything about the way it feels.
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:11 PM   #5

Mine was as unreliable as yours. I asked them to make it feed ALL kinds of ammunition, and they did. Later on, the safety started getting wobbly, so it had to go back to Kimber a second time.

Now it functions as intended, but there are inherent design weaknesses that make it one of the less desirable pistols in its class. I carry mine more than 50% of the time, but I'm keenly aware of its limitations.
Chuck43, Oreste and XDgirl like this.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:36 PM   #6
jdb

Thanks RustyIron, when I first called in it was like an interrogation. What Ammo were you using - The recommended ammo. How were you holding the pistol, Ahh, the way I've held a pistol for the last 40 years. I was told most owners do not know the correct way to hold and shoot a Solo. I was getting a bad feeling that the limitations I had read about were not just bi-yearly shooters with their first handgun. I can accept high pressure ammo, but if you have to stand on one leg, close your right eye, hold your breath, and use your pinky to pull the trigger I won't be carrying this weapon. Sarcasm, of course.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:00 PM   #7

Sell it and get a Sig P938. You won't regret it.
Oreste likes this.
Tgunz64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:20 AM   #8

Originally Posted by Tgunz64 View Post
Sell it and get a Sig P938. You won't regret it.
That is exactly what I did, have never looked back and never happier. Rusty is very on the money when he mentions limitations, (racking just for one.) Had mine for over a year, never carried it. Mostly shot good. But mostly was not good enough. Oh, and by the way the thing about using your pinky finger that you mention...that doesn't even work.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:39 AM   #9

Originally Posted by jdb View Post
I was told most owners do not know the correct way to hold and shoot a Solo. I was getting a bad feeling that the limitations I had read about were not just bi-yearly shooters with their first handgun. I can accept high pressure ammo, but if you have to stand on one leg, close your right eye, hold your breath, and use your pinky to pull the trigger I won't be carrying this weapon. Sarcasm, of course.
Well there you go. It's not that Kimber sells a gun that doesn't work, it's that Kimber sells a gun that is unknown how to work.

Some have speculated that Kimber has updated the Solo and the ones having problems are old inventory. Next time you talk to Kimber Coukd you ask the production date of your Solo?
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:49 AM   #10
jdb

I just purchased the pistol, I assume it was a late 14 or early 15 production model. I will ask, but I don't think the folks at the phone center know much.
Like the comment about the pinky finger not working either - lol.