6 rounds in a Solo...what's the secret? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Solo Forum

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2015, 08:54 PM   #1

6 rounds in a Solo...what's the secret?

After keeping 6 rounds of 124 HST's in my three Solo magazines for over three weeks, none of them will chamber the first round.
But, if I load six rounds of 115 Critical Defense, the first round will chamber every time...in all three magazines.

115 Critical Defense is slightly shorter and has a more tapered nose and that is likely the reason, but shooting 115 ammo in a Solo is not recommended.

Short of leaving 6 rounds in the mags for the next two or three years to see if that helps, what can be done here?

Thanks

Last edited by MBSL500; 05-25-2015 at 09:08 PM.
MBSL500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-26-2015, 12:30 AM   #2

I use a lula for loading mine but I always make sure the shell is pointed upward while hand loading. Good luck!
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:45 PM   #3

I normally roll my own for carry, and it works fine. I have also carried 115gr Critical Defense after running a couple of boxes without fail. If the ammo has proven performance in your gun, I wouldn't worry, no matter what the paperwork says. But that's me.

If you are having problems with the first round of 124gr HST's chambering, I would try polishing the feed ramp with some Flitz metal polishing compound. I have done that to my Browning Hi Power and it solved my feed problems. Do not use a dremel tool unless you seriously know what you are doing.

Best -- Warthogge
Nellybelle likes this.
Warthogge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2015, 07:59 AM   #4

I had some trouble getting some HST 147's to chamber the second round so I quit using them. I usually load my first round from a slide lock position. I use 124 round nose most of the time. Hornady 135 Flexlock, 124 XTP, and Lugar +p XTP work the best for me. I think the coneshape of the bullet helps.
stevendk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:03 PM   #5

I got so tired of the special ammo needs, the FTF, FTE and
just the POOR reliability and support from KIMBER.
I GOT RID OF IT. (mind you there are good one out there)
BUT, standing at the Gun shop counter about to buy a SOLO, take out a
coin and flip, call it IN THE AIR !
That is your real chances of getting a good one, that really WORKS !

Been there.

Colt .45 Commander
Glock 19 Gen4
Glock 43
Kimber Crimson Ultra Carry ll .45acp
Kimber Solo Carry 9mm traded good riddens!
Sig P229 .40 / .357sig +.22 conversion
Springfield Armory XD 9mm
S & W M&P Shield 9mm
Walther PPK/s .380acp (S&W)
Ruger Blackhawk .357 / 9mm, SS, single action(WOW)
1939 Polish VIS "Radom" 9mm (historical WW2)
Scout10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:18 PM   #6

Be sure the top round is back all the way with the nose up. My Solo has no issues with stripping the first round out of the magazine. If you are trying to chamber a round by racking the slide, try to chamber the round by locking the slide back and then releasing it instead, some have better luck that way. I have no problems simply racking the slide. Be sure you are pulling it all the way back and letting go without riding the slide.

Try some Remington Ultimate Defense, it is what I carry in mine and it works perfectly. It is basically a Golden Saber. The HST never worked so well in mine and isn't one of the recommended ammo. The Critical Duty 135gr worked in mine, but stay way from Critical Defense 115gr. Use heavier weight bullets. I prefer the Ultimate Defense since it has been 100 percent reliable in my gun. Gold Dots have been reliable in mine as well, but once again, I prefer the way the Ultimate Defense works.

As far as "special ammo" goes, Kimber was upfront about it in the first place, it is hard to complain when it is stated on their website and in the manual. I find it funny that many guns dislike some ammo and yet you won't hear people complain about that, but a Solo, a 9mm built very small so it has tight operating parameters needs a certain type of ammo, specifically high quality defensive ammo, the very type someone who would carry a Solo for self defense would be using anyway, and people complain.

Mine eats what it is supposed to, and does so reliably. It has over 1,000 rounds through it now and it works. Did I have issues at first? Yes, and I sent it in, they polished the chamber and adjusted the extractor and now it works. I would bet money had I simply kept shooting it, it would have probably broken in well and been reliable anyway. Now I put rounds in it, pull the trigger and it shoots.

I wish when people ask for help, people would offer actual suggestions rather than bashing the gun. You don't like it, great, don't buy one or don;t buy another one if you once had one. Do they have potential issues? Yes, and I knew that when I bought mine, but I bought mine for a specific reason and knew I might have to work through some problems. I did, and was rewarded with a great little carry gun. I simply love it.

Keep shooting it and it will loosen up. For me, shooting it was half the fun anyway. Get some ammo that is recommended and shoot it. Good luck and enjoy the Solo.

Last edited by Holster; 05-31-2015 at 07:28 PM.
Holster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:32 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Scout10 View Post
I got so tired of the special ammo needs, the FTF, FTE and
just the POOR reliability and support from KIMBER.
I GOT RID OF IT. (mind you there are good one out there)
BUT, standing at the Gun shop counter about to buy a SOLO, take out a
coin and flip, call it IN THE AIR !
That is your real chances of getting a good one, that really WORKS !

Been there.
May I suggest that since you have rid yourself of your Solo, please refrain from hijacking posts of others that are seeking help.
5Wire, Holster and stevendk like this.
Warthogge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:24 PM   #8

I actually shot in a bug gun match with the Solo on Saturday. The only issue that I had other than one failure to eject and my lousy aim was feeding the first round on occasion. Today I loaded up some dummy rounds and experimented chambering a round. I found that I was not racking the slide back far enough to pick up the round. If I put a little additional backward pressure it would always chamber. The best way I found was to lock the slide and use the slide release to charge the pistol.
Chuck43, YuK and Holster like this.
stevendk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 04:25 PM   #9

Originally Posted by stevendk View Post
I found that I was not racking the slide back far enough to pick up the round. If I put a little additional backward pressure it would always chamber. The best way I found was to lock the slide and use the slide release to charge the pistol.
This is what I have found too. I have never had an issue chambering a round by racking the slide, as long as you pull it back all the way. In other words, if you do it right, the gun will work right.
Holster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:05 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Holster View Post
...In other words, if you do it right, the gun will work right.
Whodathunkit!
Holster likes this.
5Wire is offline   Reply With Quote