Can I shoot your gun?? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Solo Forum

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2018, 01:14 AM   #1

Can I shoot your gun??

I don't frequent this board as much as I use to, because life got busy. I return to see more complaining about Solo's not functioning. I've owned my share of autos, and shot other's as well. The only one that never had a single hiccup was the Taurus 92s that it seems we all bought in the late 80s. Those things never jammed, no matter what.

But.... every other gun, from a 22LR to a 45 win mag, jammed at some point. For various reasons of course, I generally blame it on cheap ammo because that's usually what we shot back then.

My Solo is nothing special, bought it at Academy Sports right off the shelf.

It has performed well for me, from day one. I have let 3 other shooters - 1 seasoned and 2 novices, at different times, and different ammo. The last novice was with new 115gr WWB. Smokey, dirty ammo! but no jam.

SO every time I read about somebody whining about their gun not working.. if I were rich I'd hop on a plane and investigate it myself.... Because I do not believe these things are THAT junky. A FEW bad apples, maybe. But a FEW good apples and 95% bad? No way.

So if any of you with bad apples are anywhere near the SC/NC border, or will ever find yourself at the crossroads of I-85 and I-26, I would love to host you in some backyard shooting to see if either A: you can make my gun jam or B: I can make yours run flawlessly.
5Wire, YuK and Tejun like this.
Soloist is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-07-2018, 03:07 AM   #2

I agree with most of what you said, but I have seen a limited run of stupid mistakes.

At one time, Zero Tolerance was at the top of the heap. Then I started getting knives with crooked bevels, and some so bad the grinding wheel had slid into the decorative part of the blade. (And the 0302 became collectible, yikes).

Diane was the VP of that division at the time, and told me they had one grinder. He was so bad that even the pictures in their ads had crooked bevels.

Then several folders slipped out with dull blades. I believe the number was Model 1560 or similar. One client was so angry he air-freighted me the knife, I stayed up late to fix it, and in the morning I air-freighted the knife to his house.

He took an airplane to the blade show and found Diane's boss for "a word of encouragement."

Right now I'm fixing a CRKT folder. Four bevels, all bad. This stuff happens.
Soloist likes this.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:04 AM   #3

A. Solo was a poor design. Earned a poor reputation for reliability. Manufacture flushed platform.

B. Solo was a great design. Poor reputation was all just a big misunderstanding. Manufacturing only temporary halted to build up huge consumer demand for celebrated return!

I think I'll go with A.
2sharp2 and Cucamonga kid like this.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2018, 08:14 AM   #4

If your Solo makes you happy, then that's what's important.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:51 AM   #5

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
A. Solo was a poor design. Earned a poor reputation for reliability. Manufacture flushed platform.

B. Solo was a great design. Poor reputation was all just a big misunderstanding. Manufacturing only temporary halted to build up huge consumer demand for celebrated return!

I think I'll go with A.

I agree with Phil and pick "A."

Current, past, or never owners IMO we have "Moved On" way past and are over the Solo.

As before the Solo...better choices exist!
ChattanoogaPhil likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:34 AM   #6

No comment. Ignore this post.
ChattanoogaPhil likes this.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:08 PM   #7

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post

Current, past, or never owners IMO we have "Moved On" way past and are over the Solo.

As before the Solo...better choices exist!
Exactly.

Obviously there are a few folks still desperately seeking Solo affirmation... but I think most have moved along. Failed platform no longer in production. End of story. Well, I guess it would be more accurate to say moved to the next chapter... collector status!

I can hardly wait to put this rare collector grade Solo up for auction. Early retirement baby!

..... and Chico better not lose my Buck!
2sharp2 and RustyIron like this.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 01:40 PM   #8

Only one question....Why stir the pot? The word solo is rarely used here anymore and it’s been rather pleasant.
Mini Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 02:34 PM   #9

Originally Posted by Mini Me View Post
Only one question....Why stir the pot? The word solo is rarely used here anymore and itís been rather pleasant.
Phil and I just responded with our opinion on a member post...we didn't start it.
Mini Me likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 02:43 PM   #10

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
Phil and I just responded with our opinion on a member post...we didn't start it.
I was referring to soloist post not yours or Phil’s! I should have quoted the original post.
I have a good working solo and I would still pick “A” out of Phil’s multiple choice question
2sharp2 and ChattanoogaPhil like this.
Mini Me is offline   Reply With Quote