Stronger Mag Spring for 8-Round Magazine? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Solo Forum

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By YuK
  • 1 Post By The Tourist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2018, 08:07 PM   #1

Stronger Mag Spring for 8-Round Magazine?

Still loving my Solo, and still have it in my EDC rotation.

But I'd love squeeze a bit more firepower out of it, and was thinking about the 8-round magazines. Like everything about the Solo, results seem to be mixed...with the common problem being that the last round or two seem to hang up at times, and the likely culprit being a weak-ish mag spring.

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck using a stronger spring in place of the stock one. I know some have used the Wolff spring in the stock mags, but I can't seem to find that option available for the 8-rounder.

Any help would be appreciated!!
boscobarbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-15-2018, 08:49 PM   #2

p.s. Just saw that the 7-round mags are also an option...I'd consider that, too, if they seem to be a more reliable choice.

Last edited by boscobarbell; 07-15-2018 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:53 AM   #3

I cut a 8 rnd down to a 7rnd, welded it together. Works fine but the plastic sleeve didn't work out to good. I cut it a little short.
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2018, 12:05 PM   #4

I'm old school. I believe that the farther you get away from the original 1911 in size, spring tension and the fitt of the extractor and the ejector, the more problems crop up.

There is something called "slide timing." Imagine--in slow motion--a round being fired and the slide still engaged to the barrel begins to move back. The barrel is then pulled down, and the ejector hits the left side of the rim spinning the case out of the port.

The slide continues to go back a short distance, allowing the top round under spring load to pop up and slide the rim under the extractor. The recoil spring then returns the cartridge and barrel forward to the slide locking lugs and bushing, if one is used.

The spring inside the magazine is part of this motion. Use the improper poundage of the spring, splay the feed lips, use an extractor with its tension gone from use or age, and the timing is thrown off.

Now, my carry gun is a UC2. And boy did I wonder if I had made a mistake. I researched Kimber compact magazines and Wilson-Rogers compacts and found that they used about the same magazine springs in both examples.

In all that time, I only had to have one magazine replaced. Kimber did it for free.

But I also bought several extra recoil springs, and the gunsmith in Yonkers told me to replace the entire recoil unit on third rebuild.

Except for foolishly firing the pistol without a detailed strip and clean, the pistol has never had a stoppage. And I believe there's a reason why both Kimber and Wilson Rogers use 7-round compact magazines.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:49 PM   #5

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
I'm old school. I believe that the farther you get away from the original 1911 in size, spring tension and the fitt of the extractor and the ejector, the more problems crop up.
I appreciate the input, but I'm unclear how this helps with my question...I think I may be having a "slow brain" day! My Kimber Solo came with the OEM 6-round magazines, but I'd really like to bump that to 7 or 8, but have read quite a bit about those mags failing to feed the last round in the mag.

Hoping someone knows of replacement options for those mag springs to assist with the feeding problem, if in fact that's a problem that needs solving....

Last edited by boscobarbell; 07-16-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:30 PM   #6

Haven't been on in a while......what 7-round option? (Other than the gentleman who cut and welded his 8-round one)
Charlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 06:38 AM   #7
YuK

Originally Posted by boscobarbell View Post
I appreciate the input, but I'm unclear how this helps with my question...I think I may be having a "slow brain" day! My Kimber Solo came with the OEM 6-round magazines, but I'd really like to bump that to 7 or 8, but have read quite a bit about those mags failing to feed the last round in the mag.

Hoping someone knows of replacement options for those mag springs to assist with the feeding problem, if in fact that's a problem that needs solving....
Just buy it and try. You have 2 options:
1. New mag doing well- good
2. If some problem - you or your gunsmith will fix it.
boscobarbell likes this.
YuK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 06:45 AM   #8

Originally Posted by boscobarbell View Post
My Kimber Solo came with the OEM 6-round magazines, but I'd really like to bump that to 7 or 8
I think this applies to all automatics. Somewhere, the original engineer designed the pistol (or can-opener) to function under a certain set of circumstances.

This goes for the 1911 and the Solo. For the sake of debate, let's suppose your Solo functions flawlessly using 6-round Wilson-Rogers magazine. If you put even a premium quality 7-round magazine into the pistol, it always chokes on the second round.

I'd buy a bunch of 6-rounders. Yes, you have to carry an extra magazine to achieve the cartridge count you want, but the pistol will always go "boom."
boscobarbell likes this.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:51 PM   #9

Originally Posted by Charlier View Post
Haven't been on in a while......what 7-round option? (Other than the gentleman who cut and welded his 8-round one)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1200037A-KI...-/202145925011

Did they just list it incorrectly??

Last edited by boscobarbell; 07-28-2018 at 09:27 PM.