A Solo Owner No Longer - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Solo Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2018, 08:32 PM   #1

A Solo Owner No Longer

The resolution to my latest Solo issues has taken a couple of weeks, but it looks like we entered the final chapter today.

If you've seen my other thread, you know that my trusty little Solo DC, my EDC for the past year-plus, developed a problem with the slide lock...it not only failed to lock back after the final round, but also wouldn't catch when I operated the slide lock manually. It went back to Kimber, and they pretty much replaced half the parts to get it right. That repair worked great for one range trip, but the second time out (mid-November) the problem reared its head again.

So back to Kimber it went on their dime, and they called me within a week with the results: the armorers had examined my pistol, and they were recommending that I select another product from Kimber to replace my Solo.

I was heartbroken...not only because I was losing my beloved Solo, but also because I don't shoot/own SAO pistols and thus had no use for any of Kimber's semis. But the revolvers DID catch my eye, although I really had no particular need for a revolver (I own a J-frame that was my BUG for years when I was chasing bad guys, and I can't imagine ever replacing it.). I watched a lot of videos on youtube, though, and read tons of reviews, and the more I saw the more appealing the Kimber looked.

So I went to my LGS, and they agreed to buy the revolver if I didn't like it. Good enough for me.

Anyway, I told Kimber that I'd decided on the K6S with night sights, and I just heard from them that it has already been shipped as of this afternoon.

I can't say enough about Kimber in terms of CS...professional, courteous, and amazingly quick turnaround. Hopefully I'll like the K6S, and can remain in the Kimber family.

RIP, Solo DC.

Last edited by boscobarbell; 12-07-2018 at 08:34 PM.
boscobarbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-07-2018, 09:57 PM   #2

I feel your pain, Bos. I wanted my Solo to be good and to last forever, but the armorers chose to melt mine down into a puddle of stainless and aluminum. I ended up paying a lot more, and ending up with a Ultra CDPII. I'm not a SA guy either, but if I was, this is the gun I'd carry. It's by far the nicest of my 1911's. Good luck with your Kimber Wheelgun.
boscobarbell likes this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:40 AM   #3

Good luck with the K6s.
boscobarbell likes this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2018, 05:58 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by boscobarbell View Post
I was heartbroken...not only because I was losing my beloved Solo, but also because I don't shoot/own SAO pistols and thus had no use for any of Kimber's semis.
RIP, Solo DC.
I know your decision has already been made but if you favored "Striker Fired" guns Kimbers new EVO line may have been more to your liking.

Some of us here, (I won't mention Arlands name) believe the EVO is Kimbers attempt at remaking the Solo.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:22 AM   #5

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
I know your decision has already been made but if you favored "Striker Fired" guns Kimbers new EVO line may have been more to your liking.

Some of us here, (I won't mention Arlands name) believe the EVO is Kimbers attempt at remaking the Solo.

I considered the EVO, but the specs were just a bit too big compared to the Solo. And the decision was out of my hands anyway...Kimber said the new releases were already spoken for for the foreseeable future (i.e. the ones in the pipeline or soon to be made are filling pre-orders), and insisted that I choose from their more established models.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:23 AM   #6

So back to Kimber it went on their dime, and they called me within a week with the results: the armorers had examined my pistol, and they were recommending that I select another product from Kimber to replace my Solo.
Glad to see Kimber finally recommending the same thing that I have been recommending for many years... choose a different product for a carry gun.

Interesting to hear Kimber throwing in the towel on Solo repairs. Curious how they valued your Solo for a swap and how that worked?
2sharp2 likes this.
ChattanoogaPhil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:20 PM   #7

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
Glad to see Kimber finally recommending the same thing that I have been recommending for many years... choose a different product for a carry gun.

Interesting to hear Kimber throwing in the towel on Solo repairs. Curious how they valued your Solo for a swap and how that worked?
They stepped up to the plate on $$$. Placed the MSRP on my Solo DC at $904 (exactly what the archived product page had it new), and gave me that as my replacement budget. But even when I selected a replacement a few Jeffersons higher, they ate the difference.

Hopefully I like the K6S enough to keep it. But even if I don't, I'm sure it's worth enough to but me in the black overall. Still, my preference would have been that the Solo was the pistol I'd hoped it would be.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:32 PM   #8

Still, my preference would have been that the Solo was the pistol I'd hoped it would be.
.... We all did....
IMG_1563.JPG
ChattanoogaPhil likes this.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:11 PM   #9

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post

Well if it LOOKS like a duck and QUACKS like a duck then it may be a ...
Cucamonga kid likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 01:11 PM   #10

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
Well if it LOOKS like a duck and QUACKS like a duck then it may be a ...
then it may be a..... striker fired Solo? Funny, but I thought the trigger was the best part of the Solo.

It does have an eerily similar resemblance to the Solo. Let's hope it doesn't develop a similar reputation for not working.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3900010_EVOSP_TT_CatProfile_SS.jpg (129.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Dsz1FLs.jpg (76.3 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 12-09-2018 at 01:14 PM.
ChattanoogaPhil is online now   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

kimber evo compared to kimber solo

Click on a term to search for related topics.