I'm done with the Solo - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Solo Forum

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2015, 11:04 AM   #1
jdb

I'm done with the Solo

Went out with 50 more expensive 9mm 147 grain xtp's. In the first 20 rounds had 2 jams and 1 light primer strike. One of the jams was how it used to jam before I sent it in, a complete outacomission fiddle with it for 30 seconds to clear kind of jam. Ok, so the I told you so's that said to cut my losses seem to have been right. Via MY experience with MY solo, this is the worst handgun purchase I have ever made, possibly the worst gun purchase period. Kimber will have little chance of gaining my business ever again.
jdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-03-2015, 12:20 PM   #2

Originally Posted by jdb View Post
Went out with 50 more expensive 9mm 147 grain xtp's. In the first 20 rounds had 2 jams and 1 light primer strike. One of the jams was how it used to jam before I sent it in, a complete outacomission fiddle with it for 30 seconds to clear kind of jam. Ok, so the I told you so's that said to cut my losses seem to have been right. Via MY experience with MY solo, this is the worst handgun purchase I have ever made, possibly the worst gun purchase period. Kimber will have little chance of gaining my business ever again.
Do what you want with your Solo. I feel you are making a big mistake to condemn "all" Kimber's because of problems with your Solo. No, I don't own a Solo but I do own seven Kimber's and have not had a malfunction or problem with any of them, some were purchased used and some new.
MPO Southy, Chuck43 and Marshall like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:44 PM   #3

Sorry to hear this. If it was me I would be on the phone to KIMBER!
MPO Southy, Chuck43 and Marshall like this.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2015, 01:01 PM   #4
Banned

Originally Posted by Nellybelle View Post
Sorry to hear this. If it was me I would be on the phone to KIMBER!
Sounds like it's time to move on for jdb. It's a damn shame, and an expensive lesson.
Chuck43 likes this.
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:23 PM   #5

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
Do what you want with your Solo. I feel you are making a big mistake to condemn "all" Kimber's because of problems with your Solo. No, I don't own a Solo but I do own seven Kimber's and have not had a malfunction or problem with any of them, some were purchased used and some new.
Ditto on that...

I have/had 5 Kimbers and 4 have never had an issue at all....The other went back to Yonkers and still runs like it should..

You do what's best for you, but you don't burn down the forest because of one weed...JMO
MPO Southy, Chuck43 and 2sharp2 like this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:27 PM   #6

I'd give the Solo at least one trip to Yonkers.

If they can get it to work--and you still hate it--at least you can peddle the pistol to another Kimber enthusiast with a clear conscience.
MPO Southy and Marshall like this.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:33 PM   #7
Super Moderator

I'm with the others on this you can't condemn their 1911 line because of the Solo. Listen to Nellybelle, Dan's been there with his Solo, it doesn't cost you anything but time to keep returning it to Kimber until it's working properly.
2sharp2 likes this.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:37 PM   #8
jdb

It has been back, took 5 months for me to get it back. I have been discouraged with not only the product, but also the company - the returns procedure, the misinformation, the wait time, etc. When I took it back to my gun dealer to trade it on a sig he started shaking his head as soon as I took it out, he said they have stopped ordering the solo because of the complaints. I don't think mine is an isolated instant, I think the company needs to make some changes - those changes say something about how a company does business. I said in an earlier post that they had a chance via the return process to make me happy and retain me as a customer. Now, maybe some day I'll get over it, if someone is selling a used Kimber at a great price, sure.
jdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:46 PM   #9
Super Moderator

They way I see it you've got 3 choices:
1. you can sell it at a loss and take a beating.
2. you can bury it in your safe and forget it exists.
3. you can become a thorn in Kimbers ass and keep returning it until it's finally right.

I know what I'd do if it were mine, you just have to make up your mind about what you're going to do.
Deputy347k9 likes this.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:53 PM   #10

Ya' know, there is a middle position.

Most custom gunsmiths offer what's known as a "reliability package." Yes, you have to pay for it despite the trips to Yonkers might be free. My position is simple--when it comes to stuff made of steel you have to remember that it's just metal with holes drilled into it. It's never worth ruminating over.

I'd call Terry Tussey, see if he's still taking work. Rumor has it that he wants to retire, and in that I do not blame him. I do know his stuff works.

So, I always figured it this way. If it costs me 20 bucks per UPS shipment, and it takes the manufacture five times to fix it right--or letting Terry fix it right the first time for 100 bucks, what am I really out?