Solo DC looking for opinions and advice - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Solo Forum

Like Tree81Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2019, 05:13 PM   #1

Solo DC looking for opinions and advice

I have the opportunity purchase a Solo DC for a really good deal and I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on it? I've read all kinds of issues with them but so have on with the Micro 9. Thanks!!
hazer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-05-2019, 06:08 PM   #2

Quite candidly, I believe the Solo is among the most problematic carry guns out-of-the-box that has been manufactured in the 21st century.

There are so many subcompact 9mm carry guns with solid reliability reputations that there's simply no reason to choose a Solo other than for entertainment, fill an open slot in a Kimber collection or take pretty pictures to post on the Internet.

Curious what you consider a good deal for new, used?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WMPfuEr.jpg (1.01 MB, 13 views)
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:12 PM   #3

IMG_2320.JPG
Originally Posted by hazer67 View Post
I have the opportunity purchase a Solo DC for a really good deal and I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on it? I've read all kinds of issues with them but so have on with the Micro 9. Thanks!!

I'm sorry I must recuse myself from responding. But thank you for asking.
ChattanoogaPhil and Bigdog like this.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:30 PM   #4

I have a few of them. That being said they are very ammo picky, like to run wet. I have one of the very first ones that came out and just had to replace the firing pin and spring. Was no big deal and parts were about 25 dollars. A lot of people hate them, they are a good carry piece but find good self defense ammo that it likes and stick with it. Last dont even try fmj [practice ammo].
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:32 PM   #5

Originally Posted by hazer67 View Post
The Solo is the prettiest micro-sized pistol to come around in many years. I was weak and succumbed to the allure of the sexy little pistol. But after three trips back to Kimber to repair the unreliable little monster, they finally threw up their hands and admitted there was nothing they could do to fix it. I totally got boned on that deal.
2sharp2 and ChattanoogaPhil like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:42 PM   #6

I posted a poll to help out hazer. You can vote anonymously yes or no.
I have already voted. So vote early, every vote counts.
ChattanoogaPhil likes this.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:50 PM   #7
Super Moderator

If I came across a great deal on one I'd buy it. The more problems people were having with them the more curious I became. I'd love to tear into one and see if I could make it run right.
Dude22, 2sharp2, RustyIron and 4 others like this.

Last edited by Chuck43; 05-05-2019 at 07:50 PM.
Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:59 PM   #8

Chuck, thats how I am. My first one has countless rounds through it. It sat in my safe for a year and a half. Took it to the range and forgot and tried to run remington fmj through it. No good click no bang. Checked out the shells and was only a slight indent on primer. Remove firing pin and spring and compared it to my second one. Firing pin looked shorter or worn? Installed new parts from kimber and back in action. I love to tinker and see how things work.
Chuck43, Tejun and ChattanoogaPhil like this.
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:42 PM   #9

We're all friends here, how much $ is your good deal and from where? Friend, gun shop, pawn shop, online.
When Phil and I went to the range last month neither one of us could get his Solo to even "chamber" a round much less fire it. It is pretty, feels good in your hand but worthless at any price. Maybe if it's cheap enough and you really enjoy tinkering and spending money.

Kimber halted production of the Solo, they are still making Micro's, that should speak volumes.
Chuck43, RustyIron, Tejun and 1 others like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:59 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
We're all friends here, how much $ is your good deal and from where? Friend, gun shop, pawn shop, online.
When Phil and I went to the range last month neither one of us could get his Solo to even "chamber" a round much less fire it. It is pretty, feels good in your hand but worthless at any price. Maybe if it's cheap enough and you really enjoy tinkering and spending money.

Kimber halted production of the Solo, they are still making Micro's, that should speak volumes.
I would spend a couple of hundred dollars for one no matter where I could find it. File it under an entertainment expenditure, it could provide me with days/weeks of fun trying to make it work. It would be a lot cheaper then my other hobbies, cooking, drinking and entertaining my children and grandchildren.