Kimber Talk Forums banner

Which ammo is a no go in the Solo?

32K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  Islander 
#1 ·
Anyone found some ammo that was absolutely not going through the Solo? I've read a lot about 115 grains working and not, so I'm curious......

#2 ·
From what I've reading here and elsewhere, it all depends on the individual gun and it's owner. How it's set up at factory, cleaning and lube (Slide Glide on mine), grip, etc...

I've been using Miwall reloads, 115gr WW from Wally world, 124 gr federal and 115 Hornady CD.

Thus far no FTF or FTE issues I can find.

As always, YMMV.

#5 ·
I hear you. It wasn't until i found a glock lubrication guide that I understand the importance of hitting the lubrication points (ironic that it was a Glock publishing). Started doing this for all my handguns and it make an immediate difference. Have yet to have an FTF on my FNP, Glock, or Solo. However the Solo is the first 9mm I've owned so I know the grain difference can be more of a factor.

#4 ·
I don't even have my solo yet, couple more days, but my research indicates a better question is "what ammo is a go?" The website says the following:

USE ONLY RECOMMENDED AMMUNITION

Solo is designed to function optimally using premium hollow-point self-defense factory ammunition with bullet weights of 124 or 147 grains.

EXAMPLES INCLUDE:

• Federal® Hydra-Shok® JHP
• Remington® Golden Saber™ HPJ
• Hornady TAP® JHP

While other ammunition may perform well, lighter bullets and inconsistent pressures that can be found in lower-quality ammunition may lead to decreased slide cycle time and compromise function.

The 3 examples given average about $1.25/round! Has anyone had repeatable success with something a little less pricey? The above will cost several hundred dollars just to break her in.

#6 · (Edited)
My solo is very finicky, I have failure to eject about 10% of the time. I have close to 900 rounds fired through it. The last time on the range I used American Eagle 147 grain full metal jacket flat point. It worked just as good as the Speer Gold Dots, at less than half the price. I paid $24.95 for a box of 50.
I have several other 9mm handguns, the Kimber Solo is the only one that requires a special diet. I have a Kel-tec PF9 I bought 10 years ago. Paid less than $300.00 and it eats anything. I have never had a problem with it. Paid close to $1200.00 for the Kinber Solo CDP LG and constant problems.
I did a range report on this guns last outing about a week ago on this site.
I am almost to the point of selling the gun and moving on as gwbiker would like.
He thinks i'm a whiner! There is a number of short videos on utube, that maybe of interest, some are good, some not so good! There is a lot of people having problems with the Kimber Solo's

#8 ·
I've read many threads on this and other forums about malfunctioning Solo's. For the most part they all seem to have the same problems. It seems that some have been returned to Kimber for repairs but still continue to malfunction but I've never read where anyone has taken one to a competent gun smith and had them try to figure out what was causing the problem. I don't get it, these guns aren't cheap, why do people continue to complain about them but not try someone else besides Kimber if Kimber says there is nothing wrong with them?

#10 ·
I have shot 115-147gr bullets, cheap stuff to home defense rounds. I have not had any problems with any of them. My Solo likes the Hornady Custom 147gr XTP the best, it is the most accurate round that I have found for it. I have even shot the military rounds threw it and no problems. Winchester makes a 124gr bullet and it comes 50 in a box, I found it at WalMart. Good luck and have fun.

#11 ·
Chuck I have taken it to a couple, They tell me to send it back to Kimber it's there F*^% up. They don't want to void the warranty! I call it a circle jerk!
My dealer asked me ( like I was a little kid) "what possessed you to buy that" ? Not realizing I purchased it there! I replied your salesman.......................

#12 ·
No, you're not a whiner....you have serious concerns about an expensive handgun you paid good money for that won't work correctly. We've all had one.....or two/three. I owned two Taurus handguns that I couldn't get a full magazine thru without a FTF/FTE issue.

I also owned a Kahr MK9 Elite ($$$$$) that would misfeed and shed metal from the barrel chamber area. Also a Kahr P380, another high dollar handgun that would misfeed. Problem apparently was solved with redesigned magazine follower....but after I gave up on the guns.

All of the above were sold/traded for a handgun that I found to be more reliable. I lost money on those deals but I moved on as I couldn't fix them and I've worked on semi auto handguns for many years.

I have a SIG P938 that was considered by many on SIG forums as a POS as early versions had feeding issues. The one I bought in late March 2013 works just fine.

First generation of Glock 36 (45acp) had FTE issues, which were corrected in later builds.

Kimber SOLO guns have taken a bad rap in past years. Too bad some owners are stuck with the defective ones.

#14 · (Edited)
Does anyone have any experience with either of these? I picked them (they're in my electronic shopping cart anyway) because they're classified (by the retailer, anyway) as a "premium hollow-point self defense round" and they're under $1.00/round. Worth taking a chance or should I just bend-over and pay the $1.25/round Kimber suggests?

HPR HyperClean Ammunition 9mm Luger 124 Grain Hornady XTP Jacketed Hollow Point Box of 50 - $27.49

Hornady Custom Ammunition 9mm Luger 147 Grain XTP Jacketed Hollow Point Box of 25 - $16.99

I'm planning to buy several hundred rounds, so price makes a difference.

#15 ·
I look at it a little differently. These are self defense weapons. If the weapon performs well and consistent on a particular ammo then that is what I carry no matter the cost of the ammo. When it comes to practice then I will go with a less expensive brand and see what happens. But for self defense it is not a money issue to me at that point. Buy what YOU have tried and works best for you.

#16 ·
Actually Nelly, I think we look at it the same way. I don't have a problem with the cost of the ammo I'll actually carry. I'm just looking for something a little more practical to practice with. I'd like to practice shoot hundreds of rounds initially and then at least box or so monthly to make sure I'm a capable shooter.

#21 ·
bargains

Currently that's a therefore helpful matter. i used to be terribly useful get this information. very I'm terribly satisfy get this text..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.