Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By Holster
  • 2 Post By glokrok
  • 2 Post By lwilliams
  • 3 Post By the iceman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2015, 08:56 AM   #1

Range trip yesterday

Got a new Kahr PM45 and wanted to give it a try. So, packed it, my SOLO, Glock 42, and my wife's P238.

I had 9mm by Aguila and Monarch. 124r in both. The Monarch was JHP. Aguila was round nose.

Started with the Aguila in the SOLO. Used standard mag and the 8 round mag also. 2 passes with each mag went perfectly. Then, still with the Aguila ammo, it failed to eject every time with either mag.

I switched to the Monarch (Academy Sports brand) JHP. Flawless. It cycled through it with ease.

The odd thing was how the Aguila worked perfectly for half a box, then quit. Maybe the gun needed cleaning? I don't know. At least I have a Kel-Tec PF9 that eats anything.

And, the PM45 is a true hand cannon....that was fun!
lwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-26-2015, 10:37 AM   #2

Does your Solo work with the recommended ammo? I can shoot some non-recommended ammo for a bout a mag or two before it fails too, but it shoots recommended ammo perfectly all the time. I have 1200 rounds through mine.

For me, I don;t care if it won't shoot the ammo not recommended for it, as long as it shoots what they say it is supposed to shoot, and as long as it shoots my carry ammo, which it does.
Chuck43, Zoomybaby and YuK like this.
Holster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:18 PM   #3

That Solo was the best looking gun in that bag. imo
Nellybelle and lwilliams like this.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:13 PM   #4

Oh yeah, it shoots the recommended ammo just fine, but who wants to shoot ammo that costs that much at paper targets.

My son-in-law got his back from Yonker and it eats anything -- anything.

I put about 80 rounds of the cheap Monarch through it without issue. So I am not worried about the Aguila ammo....I can use it in another gun. Just trying to save some dollars for range shooting.

I was still a great time!
glokrok and Holster like this.
lwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 01:22 PM   #5

Originally Posted by lwilliams View Post
Oh yeah, it shoots the recommended ammo just fine, but who wants to shoot ammo that costs that much at paper targets.

My son-in-law got his back from Yonker and it eats anything -- anything.

I put about 80 rounds of the cheap Monarch through it without issue. So I am not worried about the Aguila ammo....I can use it in another gun. Just trying to save some dollars for range shooting.

I was still a great time!
I understand that, I was just wondering if it shot the recommended ammo. Good to know it functions properly with the recommended ammo. I understand the quest for cheap range ammo. I wish I had my reloading equipment with me, I wanted to try to reload some range ammo to try in the Solo. I moved for six months and left the reloading stuff behind. Oh well, when I get back home I will try it.

It is interesting that I can shoot two mags of almost anything through it with no failures, after the second mag it will have an issue. At least that is what I have experienced so far. I usually don't bother and simply shoot the expense stuff. I just picked up some American Eagle 124gr the other day and will try that too. If it doesn't work I'll just shoot it in my Shield.

Last edited by Holster; 07-26-2015 at 01:28 PM.
Holster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:52 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to the iceman
Hi I don't understand that either,my solo was made in October,2013 I bought it in dec,2013 and I put well over 1000 rounds through it last of June 2015 my extractor chipped off.i called kimber and they sent me a return label,I sent it to them and it was a total of 8 days I had it back with a list of all the new parts and springs they replaced.and now I have put almost 800 rounds of every kind of 9mm ammo I could find and it has always been flawless.i relly like the ZQ1 nato ammo I get at Walmart 10.99 box of 50 it is very good ammo.and as far as the extractor breaking on my solo I had the same thing happen to my glock26 and it happened twice so it can happen to any gun ok happy to here yer solo is shooting good I love mine
glokrok, YuK and lwilliams like this.
the iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:28 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Holster View Post
Good to know it functions properly with the recommended ammo. I understand the quest for cheap range ammo. I wish I had my reloading equipment with me, I wanted to try to reload some range ammo to try in the Solo. I moved for six months and left the reloading stuff behind. Oh well, when I get back home I will try it.
I reload with 125gr Hornady HAPs. I load warm, but not to +P. All the guns I have love this round, including the Solo.
Warthogge is offline   Reply With Quote