Solo Problems - Page 3 - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Solo Forum

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2015, 10:49 AM   #21

Galaxy88, Sounds like you have yourself a good gun and a good deal. Check out, if you have not done so already, Kimber's website for the Solo videos, particularly the one about lubrication. Might help your mag release issue. I also carry a Glock 43 and love it too.
Metal Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-16-2015, 11:22 AM   #22

The third return to Kimber for adjustments seemed to have worked out very well for my Solo. The Solo was returned for light hits/misfires with Nato 9mm. The repair order said, "Firing pin port cleaned, firing pin drive spring and outer recoil spring replaced." It was tested fired using 2 mags of Pierce 124gr FMJ and 2 mags of Hornady 147gr JHP.
At the range I shot about 200 rounds with everything I had been using. Everything went well, except when I limp wristed or didn't allow the trigger to reset.
So, should I and how do I clean the firing pin/spring/port area and how often? Thanks,
Metal Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:19 PM   #23

The striker is retained by a roll pin. You COULD remove the roll pin to disassemble everything, but I'm not keen on routinely removing pins.

I douche mine out with gun scrubber or brake cleaner every time I clean the gun. On other guns, I'm not so fastidious about striker cleanliness. But on a tiny gun like the Solo, tolerances are tight, parts are as small as possible, and it doesn't take much to cause a failure. Cleanliness is critical.

I asked Kimber's Customer Service person about their recommended procedure, and was told that if the firing pin channel became dirty, the gun should be returned to Kimber for service. That's just stupid.
Metal Storm likes this.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2015, 11:03 AM   #24
YuK

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post

I asked Kimber's Customer Service person about their recommended procedure, and was told that if the firing pin channel became dirty, the gun should be returned to Kimber for service. That's just stupid.
For the regular routine cleaning:
1. You do not need to disassemble a "striker mechanism" if you didn't put a grease or oil lubricant into the striker channel
2. Will be good if you put a cleaner fluid into the striker channel and blow it out by compressed air when cleaning

ONLY If, at some reason, chips fell into the striker channel and can't be blowed out or a lot of lubricant mixed with a dirt was turned into pitch, you need to disassemble the "striker mechanism":
* unlock and take out a back door
* remove the rollpin using the dowel pin the same diameter as the small hole on a top of slide. Do not use a dowel pin smaller than .078 dia to avoid the rollpin deformation.
* move out a rear spring with adapter, striker and the very light returning spring (do not loose it)
After cleaning put ALL parts back as it was before ����
Metal Storm likes this.

Last edited by YuK; 10-17-2015 at 11:08 AM.
YuK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problems, slide not sliding, solo

Search tags for this page

kimber solo extractor problems

Click on a term to search for related topics.