Solo Grip Screw Issue - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Solo Forum

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2015, 08:39 AM   #1

Solo Grip Screw Issue

Just a thought, somewhere past the 250 mark, trying to break in the gun and get used to it and found that it had FTE issues, I noticed my left side grip was missing an upper screw. When I sent it back and told them about it, I asked about how I could get myself another screw. Basically, they said it was a "Oh, don't worry about it." thing and that it would come back just like I bought it, only shooting better.

So, before I get it back, should I take out the grip screws and put BLUE Locktite? It is a short screw and I don't want it it to come out again. Red might be a little much for locktite but anyone put Blue?

TIA
aklim is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-23-2015, 08:55 AM   #2

I went to my local hardware store and bought a package of #60 rubber O rings and that solved my problem with all of my Kimbers grip screws coming loose..

DANCO #60 O-Ring (10-Pack)-96774 - The Home Depot
Chuck43 likes this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:08 AM   #3

Originally Posted by jms-stlou View Post
I went to my local hardware store and bought a package of #60 rubber O rings and that solved my problem with all of my Kimbers grip screws coming loose..

I'll take your suggestion into advisement. IF Kimber sorts it out, I don't want the screw to come out especially if I get the Crimson Trace Laser Grips. Wife will hate you since I am blaming you if I get another Solo. I mean, we don't want to waste all the remaining 6, right?
Chuck43 likes this.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:23 AM   #4

Each of my Kimbers had issues with the grip screws coming loose and the more I tightened them my bushings started stripping out..

Three bushings were so stripped out that I had to put in oversized bushings...

Since Chuck suggested this remedy to me I went and spent the $3 and haven't had any issues with the screws backing out...
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:45 AM   #5

Each of my Kimbers had issues with the grip screws coming loose and the more I tightened them my bushings started stripping out..

Three bushings were so stripped out that I had to put in oversized bushings...

Since Chuck suggested this remedy to me I went and spent the $3 and haven't had any issues with the screws backing out...
Weird. I had a Kimber a long time ago and not too long ago, bought a 45 by kimber and haven't had the screws come loose yet. I certainly will be down to Home Depot tonight.
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:08 AM   #6

A couple bucks for these O rings at Home Depot worked perfect for my Solo CDP LG, but the same trick would not work on my Ultra Raptor. I could only get one screw to catch and tighten.
Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:18 AM   #7

Originally Posted by Husker View Post
A couple bucks for these O rings at Home Depot worked perfect for my Solo CDP LG, but the same trick would not work on my Ultra Raptor. I could only get one screw to catch and tighten.
That's weird....I have them on both of my PC2's and both Ultra Carry's {TLE & Raptor}...

Best and cheapest little thing I have bought for any of my firearms..
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:03 AM   #8
Super Moderator

I've been using them for years, I have them on the grip screws of all my pistols. You don't have to really crank them down to get them to stay put and they're easy to remove when you want to clean your gun or change grips.

Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 01:30 PM   #9

A lot of folks here use the o-ring trick, so there must be something to it.

I would never use Loctite on something like grip screws, which get disassembled often. In all my years of shooting, I've NEVER had a grip screw come out. I just think you need to make sure everything is tightened PROPERLY. If you need to get a torque driver, then do it. Once I had a problem with a grip screw staying IN. Attempting to loosen the screw only resulted in backing out the threaded bushing. That gun had been sitting on a shelf for the previous 15-20 years, and I couldn't remember the specifics of the last time it was shot or cleaned. I disassembled everything, cleaned it, and Loctited the bushing into place. Nowadays on grip screws, I like to periodically put a minute amount of antiseize onto the threads. It helps in loosening, but it also helps achieve accurate tightening torque. Actually, there probably aren't any metallic threads on your gun that couldn't benefit from a judicious application of antiseize.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:45 AM   #10

That's weird....I have them on both of my PC2's and both Ultra Carry's {TLE & Raptor}...

Best and cheapest little thing I have bought for any of my firearms..
Considering my Raptor is only a couple months old, grip modifications perhaps? Maybe my wood grip screws countersinking are not deep enough to allow my screw threads to catch? Or perhaps the screw holes in my grips are not wide enough to allow the O ring to compress (flatten) enough to catch. Not sure what is up, but I know it is not rocket science. I laid the pistol on a hard flat surface. Put O ring on the screw and pressed down firmly with screwdriver. No Luck.

HEY - maybe when I get my Raptor back from Kimber today that will be one of the items they fixed. I can see it now...

Grip Countersink too shallow - REPAIRED
Husker is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page
kimber 1911 grip screw issues

kimber solo grip screws

kimber solo grips loose
solo grips loose what o ring
Click on a term to search for related topics.