Would you recommend a Solo? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Solo Forum

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2015, 10:59 AM   #1

Would you recommend a Solo?

I've owned two. The first was a two-tone that I sold after noticing how easily the black limp to finish could be scratched off. The second was a DC. Sold it because it was shooting left and I couldn't adjust the rear site.

Still, Solo's are great looking guns that fit my hand perfectly and disappear in my front pocket. I'm considering taking the leap again. I'd like honest feedback from current Solo owners. Would you buy your Solo again?

Jim
jcannady is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-02-2015, 11:51 AM   #2

Welcome to the site from Tennessee!

Full discloser, I don't own a Solo.

I will just say there is a chit load of good looking pistols that will fit in your hand and disappear in your pocket and serve you well.
Given the problems reported by a small percentage of owners I would have to pass.

I know there are some happy Solo owners but I would not want to take the chance and go thru the hassle to get problems corrected. Kimber does seem to be getting them running 100% but not always on the first trip back to the mothership.
Chuck43, Oreste and Cucamonga kid like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:52 AM   #3

You already had two. Both had some issue. I own one. Simply retired it. Was a great gun when working but just a host of issues, quirks and plain finicky. Many have had great a experience, moderate and poor experience. Right now you seem to be 0 for 2. Only you can answer that question. I settled with a Sig P938. The only possible advantage I find in the Solo, even when functioning perfectly, is possibly looks. If you feel you can bank your life on it..go for it. As for me, to answer your question...No. I personally, knowing what I know and have experienced, would not buy a Solo again. I just feel something is flawed in the design.
Cucamonga kid likes this.

Last edited by Oreste; 09-02-2015 at 11:54 AM.
Oreste is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2015, 12:00 PM   #4

Not a chance.
I won't buy a self defense gun that will very likely need to go back to the manufacturer one or two times just to make it function the way it should have the day took I took it out of the box the first time.

FWIW, just for grins, I bought a Diamondback DB9 for $230 last week.
I was looking for a inexpensive pocket 9.
I polished the feed ramp and lubed the gun and it has fired over 300 flawless rounds.
No returns to the "mother-ship to make it right" required.

No. it's not pretty, it doesn't come with bragging rights, it won't get any "ooohs" and "ahhhs" from range members, but the darned thing works and it's smaller than the Solo.

Last edited by MBSL500; 09-02-2015 at 01:14 PM.
MBSL500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:25 PM   #5

ABSOLUTELY! I bought mine in 2013 I think. I did have an issue with failure to feed. I sent it to KIMBER and it was returned in two weeks. Run flawlessly and looks great. I also bought a new P938 BRG. Runs fine. I hate the trigger and just not as good looking as the Solo. I don't carry the P938.
I have the Solo STS . I would buy another in a heart beat and if need be send it back and let them polish the chamber and adjust the extractor.
The 2 weeks or even more of waiting is well worth it when it comes back. But this is my opinion . So go ahead and make your own decisions and good luck.
I wouldn't take anyone's word, even mine. Buy it and try it.
Chuck43 likes this.

Last edited by Nellybelle; 09-02-2015 at 12:27 PM.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:56 PM   #6

Nope. <-- The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Noooppppee.
DrumSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:57 PM   #7

Bought mine even after hearing about all the issues. Haven't had any other than when I loaded the magazine incorrectly. My teenaged daughters shoot it also with the same results.

Guess I got the only one that worked straight from the factory and it was on sale to boot and I don't even run the recommended ammo, it must be a freak.......lol

-grover
Chuck43 likes this.

Last edited by Grover; 09-02-2015 at 02:00 PM.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:59 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Bought mine even after hearing about all the issues. Haven't had any other than when I loaded the magazine incorrectly. My teenaged daughters shoot it also with the same results.

Guess I got the only one that worked straight from the factory and it was on sale to boot and I don't even run the recommended ammo, it must be a freak.......lol

-grover
Based on the number of those that don't work straight from the factory, that seems to be a pretty accurate description.
MBSL500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:12 PM   #9

I'm thinking of buying another one. It's a cool little pistol. Mine, like many others on this forum, has worked fine after round trip to Kimber.

By the way, MBSL500, "trouble" numbers on this or any forum are worthless "calculating" an overall evaluation.
Chuck43 likes this.
5Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:06 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois jcannady, how about dropping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership?