Kimber Talk Forums banner

Solo Ammo

9K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  OldCanoe 
#1 ·
Been frustrated with the price of Premium ammo and finding practice ammo which will work in my Solo.

Review:From the Kimber Website:

USE ONLY RECOMMENDED AMMUNITION
Solo is designed to function optimally using premium hollow-point self-defense factory ammunition with bullet weights of 124 or 147 grains.

EXAMPLES INCLUDE:
• Federal® Hydra-Shok® JHP
• Remington® Golden Saber™ HPJ
• Hornady TAP® JHP

While other ammunition may perform well, lighter bullets and inconsistent pressures that can be found in lower-quality ammunition may lead to decreased slide cycle time and compromise function.
=================
So I started looking up the FPS for the examples above and compared them with other brands on the market. I have NOT shot most of these, but I have started using the 9mm above 1100 FPS and have not had any problems.

My List, for your information:
grain Feet/sec
Federal Hydra-Shok JHP 124gr 124 1120
Federal American Eagle 124 FMJ 124 1150
Federal HST 124 gr 124 1150
Federal White Box High-Shok 147 1000

Remington Golden Saber HPJ 124 1125
Remington Ultimate Defense 124 1125
Remington UMC 124 1100

Hornady TAP JHP 124+P 1200
Hornady Critical Duty 135+P 1110
Hornady 124 XTP 1110

Armsor 124 FMJ 1090
Geco 124 FMJ 1080
Blazer 124 FMJ 1090
Israel Military Indust (IMI) 124 1100
Speer Lawman 124 TMJRN 1090
Gold Dot Law Enforcement 124 1150
Freedom Munitions 124 XTP 1014

Winchester 124 FMJ 1140

I also found on ammo seller's websites the wrong FPS listed and question them on it and was told they were typos.

What ammo do you carry and what do you use for practice?
124 grain or 147 grain?
Shoot well and often.

See less See more
#2 ·
I only carry federal HST 124gr or Winchester T 124gr or Speer gold dot 124gr .for just targets or just general shooting I use mostly ZQ1 NATO ,Speer lawman 124gr,American eagle 124gr my own reloads.the ZQ1 is the best it is what the 9mm should be never any problems.

#6 ·
I have had to send my Solo back twice and yesterday I encountered a problem with it not firing NATO 9mm. Had six rds out of 3 or 4 magazines not fire. I called Kimber and was told not to use NATO rounds, the Solo was not designed for NATO rds and to only use premium self defense ammo. I was told the owners handbook also said not to use NATO rds and that this could void the warranty. I check their online books and could not find anything about NATO rds. Now I am confused, but the next time I am in Walmart, I will be looking for ZQ1.

#7 ·
Kimber customer service told me NATO was fine.and I have shot hundreds of rounds of ZQ1 in mine also if you get a box of Speer lawman 124 gr ammo and test it with ZQ1 you won't even notice any difference. I have never had any malfunction with ZQ1 that's all I can say .oh my owners manual says nothing about useing NATO

#8 ·
Talked with another customer rep, basically got the same answer to not use NATO ammo. I have checked Kimber's website and the Solo Manual and I find nothing about not using NATO ammo, only what they recommend. If fact, if anything, it seems by default or misleading, that NATO is fine. The Solo is listed as a 9x19 caliber; Not 9x19 Luger and Not 9x19 Parabellum. But anyway, I told them I was not comfortable and confident in my Solo's firing mechanism to make the primers ignite. They said they would take it back and look at it, so I am shipping it back to them today.

#9 ·
Storm just think about it what kimber wants you to shoot is this high price ammo like $30.00 or more for the rip off 20 round boxes.no way will I pay that much for 20 rounds.premium personal defence ammo is hotter than ZQ1 NATO I no I have shot it all.i was buying my favorite ammo carry ammo which is federal hst 124 for 26.00 a box of 50 .now they have started doing the same as the other rip off company's 20 rounds for $35.00 no way I have shot lots of ammo (euro) and American.euro 9mm,380,32acp are much better than American ammo in those calibers an American 9mm that won't handle NATO ammo is not worth haveing.

#14 ·
I was planning on buying a case of 124 or 147gr ammo for practice. The first outing with the Solo, I shot 2 boxes of 124gr Blazer Brass with good results. But I also had no problems with my bulk Remington 115gr.

Today, I just took 115gr Remington, and had lots of FTE. If I held the pistol like a VISE, ie: VERY tightly, it worked better, but I guess it will need the heavier ammo. Is there an advantage to the 147gr over the 124? I'm looking at Lawman 147, or American Eagle 147, or the same brands in 124.

Thanks,

Charlie

#15 ·
Charlie I only use 124 gr in lawman or American eagle my solo has at least 2000 rounds fired.also my friend at kimber said NATO ammo is fine and I have shot hundreds of rounds of ZQ1 NATO from Walmart no wear on my gun and it shoots perfect every time $10.99 for 50 try it or not but its fine enjoy yer solo I do

#22 · (Edited)
I'm a little confused.
The link you provided ended very positive with great Kimber customer service and an awesome range on Nov. 6th.
And this posting is dated October the 15th.
A little confusing, but just very disappointing that the gun performed perfectly on ? and wouldn't shoot anything on ?
Anyway have you talked to Kimber since the gun refused to shoot anything?
With such poor result of not being able to get through a single magazine of quality 124/147 grn ammo I think Kimber could find and fix whatever went wrong with the gun between the two range reports.

#17 ·
I really do feel your pain. Sell it and get a Sig P 938. Some here would give similar advice. Then some would say I gave up not Kimber. Owned 3 Solos. The last two were replacements . Each had their own unique problems. Wasted hundreds of dollars of expensive "premium self defense" ammunition. Kimber — three strikes you're out. There's at least one out there who will say I don't know how to shoot a Solo. That I need to learn some special techniques for the Kimber Solo. Instead of Kimber doing their own torture test they are letting us be the beta testers for them and yes they will fix it eventually after you've wasted all that money and time and frustration. You should have a gun that works right out of the box for your hard earned money. My Sig is really boring it shoots every time I pull the trigger with any kind of ammo.

#23 ·
Think I just figured out what Charlier was trying to say.
Since this is an older thread than the one he posted the link to, he was simply trying to update an old post with the link to the newer one giving the latest range report which was after Kimber had re-worked the Solo and performed much better.
Charlier, if I am reading this wrong please correct me and add some clarity to this.

#24 ·
Sorry, didn't see your question. Here's the answer: Since I sent the Solo back to Kimber, it has been flawless. I shoot it very frequently, and do not use 115gr ammo anymore. I've tried a few kinds of 124gr and it loves Geco 124, and Blazer Brass 124, and my carry ammo HST 124.
Couldn't be happier.

To anyone having problems with FTE on their Solo, simply call Kimber and send it in. They will get it right. (My brother's is on the way there now.....same problem)

Charlie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.