Solo CDP Kimber repair - Page 2 - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Solo Forum

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2020, 07:14 PM   #11

After sending mine back twice I gave up and traded it off.
Chuck43, 2sharp2 and Cucamonga kid like this.
trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-12-2020, 11:00 AM   #12

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
If the gun comes back and works better but still cannot be counted on to reliably cycle - what is considered an acceptable failure rate for a daily carry? How would Kimber handle if it would do 5 - 10 rounds ok but frequently fails. After all it is a self defence carry gun so near 100% reliability should be expected, should it not?

I know 100% perfect would be nice but in the real world what is considered normal failure rates.
For my carry gun in the real world... zero malfunctions is the right number. Really, there is no reason for a properly maintained firearm with proper ammo selected and adequate range time to verify, not to be 100% beyond the break-in and ammo selection period.

Now I'm not talking about running 500 rounds through a pocket gun in one range session or never cleaning until it chokes. But if a properly maintained and cleaned subcompact like the Solo can't operate a box of 25 or 50 every time 100%, then forget about.

While some say they got a magic Solo that works... the platform was a complete disaster for Kimber which they ultimately flushed from their lineup. There are too many other carry guns to chose from with reputations for reliability to fool around carrying a gun like the Solo that doesn't work.

Yes, the Solo is a beautiful piece to look at. But ugly to rely on with your life.

The only shooting sessions my Solo sees is with a camera.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WMPfuEr.jpg (1.01 MB, 4 views)
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 03:06 PM   #13

Originally Posted by YuK View Post
It is difficult to change the inner recoil spring, but you can leave it as is and replace only outer spring. Just check the wire diameter, length and IDia of the spring and order it from Wolff Springs manufacturing or any other springs manufacturing.
Just ask them that you want it made from racket or misle wire.
Thanks.

Yeah, I have extra outer springs too. I have one or two full recoil spring assemblies. It's just irritating that Kimber seems to have stopped making them. I get stopping production of the gun, but there are people actually using them, and they need springs and recoil rod assemblies. It isn't a gun that aftermarket suppliers are going to manufacture recoil spring assemblies for, and at some point, people will need that, as well as the springs.
Holster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2020, 03:09 PM   #14

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
For my carry gun in the real world... zero malfunctions is the right number. Really, there is no reason for a properly maintained firearm with proper ammo selected and adequate range time to verify, not to be 100% beyond the break-in and ammo selection period.

Now I'm not talking about running 500 rounds through a pocket gun in one range session or never cleaning until it chokes. But if a properly maintained and cleaned subcompact like the Solo can't operate a box of 25 or 50 every time 100%, then forget about.

While some say they got a magic Solo that works... the platform was a complete disaster for Kimber which they ultimately flushed from their lineup. There are too many other carry guns to chose from with reputations for reliability to fool around carrying a gun like the Solo that doesn't work.

Yes, the Solo is a beautiful piece to look at. But ugly to rely on with your life.

The only shooting sessions my Solo sees is with a camera.
I agree. I have one of those magic Solos, and it eats my defensive ammo with zero malfunctions. Yes, when shooting a lot in one range session, more than 100, it helps to clean it, but for 25 or 50, no issues, with my chosen defensive ammo.
Holster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 04:48 PM   #15

...never owned one, but have enjoyed the many and various threads about the Solo... ...send it to Kimber; if they offer you full value toward a new gun--get a Kimber Ultra of your choosing...
...just my humble opinion...
Oklahomabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:35 PM   #16

If they don't fix it but rather offer full retail credit on your CDP CT that'll be a good chunk of change. If you're not interested in a 1911, take a look at the EVO. Lots of good reports and few negatives.

During an interview with Kimber's marketing guy, he made sure to mention that the EVO shared no parts with the Solo. The feedback from EVO owners that I've read seem to confirm that statement. The EVO ain't no Solo.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 01:39 PM   #17

Originally Posted by Holster View Post
I agree. I have one of those magic Solos, and it eats my defensive ammo with zero malfunctions. Yes, when shooting a lot in one range session, more than 100, it helps to clean it, but for 25 or 50, no issues, with my chosen defensive ammo.

Mine must be magic too. No problem running 100 124 grain hand loads at a time with flawless results. Never a jam, never a hiccup. Gold dots and HST run through it fine also. Guess some of us just got lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Holster likes this.
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fte, ftf, nosedive, solo cdp