Solo CDP Kimber repair - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Solo Forum

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2020, 01:05 PM   #1

Angry Solo CDP Kimber repair

I have a Solo CDP CT. Gun is ~2 years old and has maybe 200 rounds thru it. It is a beautiful piece to be sure and carries nicely -

BUT

I have never been able to get it to work reliably. I have all the common problems listed on the internet - failure to eject (not so much with 147 grain) & failure to feed - either cartridge nosedives and the bullet hangs in a downward angle with he nose caught on the lip of the mag or it will go up the ramp and get stuck in an upward angle unable to slide into the chamber.

I've taken it around to several local gun shops and all recommend sending it back to Kimber. I have made arrangements to RMA it today.

It seems to me, given the number of problems folks have reported and the fact you can't give Solos away on Gunbroker, that the real issue appears to be, the gun is poorly designed and that getting reliable cycling needed for a personal defence carry gun is near impossible - will this design work reliably?

What experiences have you had returning your Solo to Kimber for repair?

They say they fire 5 - 10 rounds as a test before returning.

If the gun comes back and works better but still cannot be counted on to reliably cycle - what is considered an acceptable failure rate for a daily carry? How would Kimber handle if it would do 5 - 10 rounds ok but frequently fails. After all it is a self defence carry gun so near 100% reliability should be expected, should it not?

I know 100% perfect would be nice but in the real world what is considered normal failure rates.

I would like to sell this gun but would not sell it to someone unless they fully understood the problem and felt competent to fix it.
boblane1949@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-10-2020, 02:07 PM   #2

IMG_1960.JPG
2sharp2, Tejun, Holster and 2 others like this.
Old 11-10-2020, 02:12 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum from Big Sky Country. Solo threads are very entertaining and have been for years. Sit back, get comfortable and enjoy some popcorn with your favorite adult beverage.
Wingnut and Oklahomabound like this.

Old 11-10-2020, 03:57 PM   #4

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
What experiences have you had returning your Solo to Kimber for repair?
I sent mine back several times until they called me one the phone, "Sorry, but we damaged your Solo and it can't be repaired." They offered me a credit on something else. But something else was at their full retail price. I got a new gun but took it in the shorts. That doesn't even count the many hundreds of rounds of ammo and the premium holster I had made. Yes, I'm still bitter about the experience.
2sharp2 and Oklahomabound like this.

Join the NRA

Last edited by RustyIron; 11-10-2020 at 07:19 PM.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 04:10 PM   #5

When they gave me a credit they allowed full retail on it towards a new Gun
Oklahomabound likes this.
Old 11-10-2020, 04:22 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum. I agree on sending it back to Kimber. Hopefully they still give credit for another gun. You might want to look at the Micro 9 or an Evo.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 07:34 PM   #7

Boblane1949, welcome to the site from Tennessee!

Boblane1949, where have you been for the last several years? Kimber and a lot of other people have washed their hands of the Solo. It has been history for a long time now. Anyone remember the month, year TOD (time of death)? DISCONTINUED!
Your Solo can NOT be "fixed." Can it be made somewhat better? Maybe but probably not and certainly not by the average Bubba Smith' in his basement.
Hell even Kimber couldn't fix most of them.
Who knows you may get lucky and Kimber will still honor and correct the BIGGEST DISASTER in the history of Kimber Firearms and maybe you won't lose to much money on the deal.

I never bought one. My home boy and main partner in crime did and we couldn't even get a round to load in the chamber...

If you are offered a trade-in/buy option from Kimber, you put the credit towards any of the fine Ultra models in 9mm.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

Kimber 84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
Kimber SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
Kimber 84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 12:04 PM   #8

I had 200 rounds through mine the first day, actually 300. It had a lot of failures. From the parking lot of the range, I called Kimber, got an RMA, and sent it back. I had it back in two weeks. It works as advertised, with defensive ammo, 124 gr and up. Be fore I sent it in, it didn't. It has gotten even better the more I shoot it.

It is a finicky gun, they told people that when they sold it. If you waited 2 years to send it back, that isn't Kimber's fault. Mine has a few thousand rounds through it, and it works every time I pull the trigger, unless I use cheap range ammo, and 115 gr ammo.

The only thing I don't like about mine, it that KImber seems to have stopped supplying recoil springs for it. I have three on hand, but after that I am not sure what I will do. It is my favorite carry gun.

Send it in, get it fixed. Either that, it sell it to me. I'll give you $100 for it as it.
YuK likes this.
Holster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 12:10 PM   #9

Also, I would love to see Kimber fire 100 rounds or more through one that has been sent back, then fixed. The Solo seems to have issue once it is fired a lot in one range visit. THat doesn't bother me since I doubt I will ever fire more than 100 rounds in a defensive situation. A quick wipe down at the range after 100 rounds or so keeps it going. That also gives me a moment to put a bandage on the web area of my thumb.
Holster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 04:22 PM   #10
YuK

Recoil unit

Originally Posted by Holster View Post
The only thing I don't like about mine, it that KImber seems to have stopped supplying recoil springs for it. I have three on hand, but after that I am not sure what I will do. It is my favorite carry gun.

Send it in, get it fixed. Either that, it sell it to me. I'll give you $100 for it as it.
It is difficult to change the inner recoil spring, but you can leave it as is and replace only outer spring. Just check the wire diameter, length and IDia of the spring and order it from Wolff Springs manufacturing or any other springs manufacturing.
Just ask them that you want it made from racket or misle wire.
Holster likes this.
YuK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fte, ftf, nosedive, solo cdp