New Solo's/any better? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Solo Forum

Like Tree93Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2015, 12:26 PM  

New Solo's/any better?

I've been following the Kimber Solo since it first came out and although I loved the look and feel of the gun, I was not impressed with how well the gun performed.
However since around the first of the year ( 2015 ), almost all reviews and owner comments of these newer year models seem to have been for the most part positive. And for those occasions where a problem did develop, Kimber ( if given the chance ) would get the gun working or make it right to the original owner.
Ok, so never concealed carry up to this point because I just felt the guns I liked were too large to comfortably conceal carry and felt for me a pocket carry was the only option for me.
Then Kimber came out with the little Micro Carry very close in size to the Solo but in .380 instead of the Solo's 9mm. I've always liked the little Colt Mustang and now Kimber comes out with the little Micro.
If I were to get a conceal carry, I wanted one that I could pocket carry with night sights and laser grips which Kimber offers as an option on most all their guns.
So I decided ok, I'll take the leap of faith and get the Solo DC LG for myself and the Micro CDP LG for my wife.
My wife and I are always together so my thinking was that I would be the primary with the 9mm and my wife would be my backup with her .380.
I ordered both from our local Kimber dealer over a month ago and received my wife's Micro two weeks back and still waiting on my Solo DC LG to arrive.
So now I'm reading here on the Kimber forum a couple Kimber owners/members who are trashing the Solo and ( what appears to me ) making unflattering remarks about those of us who either own or wish to own a Solo as being somewhat less than knowledgeable about guns and perhaps somehow so enamored with the Solo as to not recognize it as the piece of trash they claim it to be.
As I've said, I've followed the Solo's development from day one and would not have bought one early on, but have recently come to believe Kimber has finally gotten on top of the Solo's early problems and that new owners are now getting good results with this gun.
I fully understand that perhaps a little more care may be required to make this gun reliable as a carry option and can totally accept that, but am I being stupid in my evaluation and expectations on this new Solo I have ordered?
Chuck43 and RustyIron like this.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:34 PM  

You should assume and expect your solo to work properly when you get it. Don't set yourself to be disappointed before you get it. Kimber sells thousands of Solo's and there a 1/2 dozen people with problems. If it's not 100 percent right, kimber will fix it. Do as instructed in your owners manual and I bet you will be fine. Please let us see pictures and range reports once you get started.

Chuck43, Hoffbrew and Blfinish like this.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:18 PM  

Send a message via MSN to the iceman
Hello trex I think you will be happy with yer new solo,I bought mine in 2013 and only had one problem,the very tip of the extractor broke after over 1000 rounds .i called kimber they sent me a return label 8 days later I got it back ,and I have put well over 1000 rounds down the pipe since .now I no people on here don't believe it has been shot that much but that's for real,as I do shoot much more than most people.I carry federal hst 124gr +p or ranger t +p or gold dot +p my target ammo is our reloads ,I shoot lots of them also my favorite target ammo is ZQ1 NATO I get at Walmart $10.99 for 50 and it's great never had any problem with them.i think the solo is a great little 9mm I do trust it as much as any handgun I own I have no reason not to so I hope yours is as good as mine if not kimber will get it right for you.
Blfinish likes this.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:16 PM  
Super Moderator

I am a huge Kimber fan but not a Solo owner and I applaud your leap of faith. Any gun made today is only as good as the company standing behind it. I have not read one post (and I read them all) where Kimber has refused to correct a problem that a Solo owner was having. It might not be right in some peoples minds but in most cases where things went wrong was when the owner gave up, not Kimber.
2sharp2, Oreste, Zoomybaby and 1 others like this.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:59 PM  

Originally Posted by Trex View Post
I fully understand that perhaps a little more care may be required to make this gun reliable as a carry option
That's the key. You MUST be meticulous in your care of the gun, ammo selection, and use of the gun. Understand that the gun is NOT forgiving of imperfect conditions, unlike the reliability you've come to expect from your Glocks, Sigs, HK's, etc.

Once you've figured out what the Solo can and cannot do, you might find a purpose for which it is well suited.

Keep us apprised of your experiences with your new gun.
Oreste, Cucamonga kid and Blfinish like this.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:41 AM  

I had a FTF stovepipe issue. Kimber took it back and micropolished the feed ramp, etc and it seems to work. Good at 400 rounds so far. It doesn't like American Eagle 147 gr ammo because the shape of the bullet causes it to hang up on the feed ramp but I shoot the 124gr HST and 124gr HST +P and it seems fine so far.
Blfinish likes this.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:00 AM  

I wish you the best of luck Trex, But, if you have any doubts about the gun you're carrying will be reliable when you need it to save your life or your family members lives, that should answer your question. Kimber customer service is second to none. They will work on that gun until it's right. Just make sure to ring it out and run enough rounds through it so you are comfortable carrying it every day. Just make sure to do your part and read the manual and follow the instructions. Then the customer service department will do their part if needed. We're all pulling for you. Post a range report if you think about it and you get a chance.
swca and Blfinish like this.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:27 PM  

Thanks all for the input.
I will most certainly update my experience with the Solo when I finally get it to do so.
It has been on order through my local Kimber dealership for about six weeks now.
He had my wife's Micro in three weeks but the Solo's must be on back order or something.
How long does it normally take to get an order through Kimber?
Blfinish likes this.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:47 PM  

Send a message via MSN to the iceman
Some have waited a year or more for a solo.
Blfinish likes this.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:48 PM  

I waited about eight weeks for them to make my new one. CDP LG
Blfinish likes this.

Search tags for this page
kimber solo
kimber solo carry forum

kimber solo forum

kimber solo forums

kimber solo problems

kimber solo reliability

kimber solo review

kimber solo review problems
Click on a term to search for related topics.