Slide Release Problem - Not Usual - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Solo Forum

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2015, 08:00 AM   #1

Slide Release Problem - Not Usual

I know my spring is right because it feels right when I did it right. When I don't, the gun would lock open after every round. Got that out of the way after a call to Kimber with egg on my face.

Now the other issue I have is that when it locks open and you slam in a magazine, it automatically strips a round and chambers it. Seems like my slide release is barely hanging on when vibrations can send the slide forward off the slide stop. Perhaps I am used to my larger guns where they can be slammed. When it gets dirty after say 50 rounds, the slide release is even more finicky.

Any ideas or is this a Kimber Question?

Seems like the only way to insert a Kimber Solo magazine is "Slow and gentle". When I say "slam", I don't mean with a lot of force. I mean not gingerly.

TIA
aklim is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-01-2015, 08:36 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to the iceman
Take yer left grip off and make sure the screw is tight that holds tension on yer slide stop spring
the iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 12:36 PM   #3
YuK

Originally Posted by aklim View Post
I know my spring is right because it feels right when I did it right. When I don't, the gun would lock open after every round. Got that out of the way after a call to Kimber with egg on my face.

Now the other issue I have is that when it locks open and you slam in a magazine, it automatically strips a round and chambers it. Seems like my slide release is barely hanging on when vibrations can send the slide forward off the slide stop. Perhaps I am used to my larger guns where they can be slammed. When it gets dirty after say 50 rounds, the slide release is even more finicky.

Any ideas or is this a Kimber Question?

Seems like the only way to insert a Kimber Solo magazine is "Slow and gentle". When I say "slam", I don't mean with a lot of force. I mean not gingerly.

TIA
There are can be 3 reasons:
1. Your magazine spring become too weak and doesn't have enough force to lift the slide stop up - stretch it up a little
2. The magazine follower is deformed and doesn't have possibility to be lifted to upper position- replace the follower or mag.
3. The slide stop "stop tip" was cut/damaged/slopped....replace a slide stop or file the step to reduce a slope in area of contact "slide stop-groove on the slide"
Chuck43 likes this.
YuK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2015, 01:48 PM   #4

Originally Posted by YuK View Post
There are can be 3 reasons:
1. Your magazine spring become too weak and doesn't have enough force to lift the slide stop up - stretch it up a little
2. The magazine follower is deformed and doesn't have possibility to be lifted to upper position- replace the follower or mag.
3. The slide stop "stop tip" was cut/damaged/slopped....replace a slide stop or file the step to reduce a slope in area of contact "slide stop-groove on the slide"
I ruled out #1 and #2 because the problem happens with BOTH magazines and sometimes just vibration to the gun WITHOUT the magazine in place. Place it on the table and slam your palm on the table and when it is dirty, it can slide forward.

#3 could be the issue since I did mess up the slide stop and it caught a few times with rounds in the magazine because I didn't hook the spring. Did this for quite a few rounds before I figured it out.

If I modified it by doing as you say and I have a problem later on, would Kimber tell me to go pound sand since I have screwed with it during warranty period? Kinda wondering if I should just send it back to Kimber and keep my mouth shut on how it might have happened and let them fix it? Opinions?
Old 11-01-2015, 02:02 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to the iceman
Did you take the grip off and make sure the spring was ok?
the iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 02:37 PM   #6

Originally Posted by the iceman View Post
Did you take the grip off and make sure the spring was ok?
Just did. Seems ok. Took the slide off, put the slide release in. Pushed magazine in and the lever moves up. BUT even in the up position, it can go further if you push it up. I disassembled the magazine and cleaned the mating surfaces and it seems to push the slide stop further. It seems more stable now but slam a magazine in and it does still chamber a round.

Better now that the magazine cleaned but is it normal the slide go forward if you slap a magazine in?
Old 11-01-2015, 02:43 PM   #7

Just did. Seems ok. Took the slide off, put the slide release in. Pushed magazine in and the lever moves up. BUT even in the up position, it can go further if you push it up. I disassembled the magazine and cleaned the mating surfaces and it seems to push the slide stop further. It seems more stable now but slam a magazine in and it does still chamber a round.

Better now that the magazine cleaned but is it normal the slide go forward if you slap a magazine in?
NO! Not Normal!

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 02:46 PM   #8

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
NO! Not Normal!
I've cleaned the magazine and gun so maybe Kimber time? I can buy a slide release but it is black? WTF? Why do I want black on a silver gungun?
Old 11-01-2015, 02:50 PM   #9

I've cleaned the magazine and gun so maybe Kimber time? I can buy a slide release but it is black? WTF? Why do I want black on a silver gungun?
Yes, sounds like a trip back to the mothership is in order!
Just to be clear the pistol you are having a problem with is a Solo? Yes?

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 02:57 PM   #10

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
Yes, sounds like a trip back to the mothership is in order!
Just to be clear the pistol you are having a problem with is a Solo? Yes?
Yes. In all other respects it is a suitable pistol for what I need.
2sharp2 likes this.