Kimber Solo - Impulse Purchase - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Solo Forum

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2015, 09:05 AM   #1
DOS

Kimber Solo - Impulse Purchase

Hello All! I'm new to the forum here and wanted to explain my first encounter with my new Kimber Solo DC.

A bit of a back story: I've like the looks and feel of this pistol for quite some time now; however, I have never found it for less than $800 in my area. Not that I was against such a price, but with all of the horror stories I've read, I just kept passing it up.

On an unexpected visit to a local gun shop, low and behold I found it for $669. Basically, I knew I was buying it before the clerk even got it out of the show case for me. Yes, an impulse purchase indeed. However, my logic was simple; for this price, even if I had to send it back to Kimber a few times, it would be worth it.

So, once I got it home, I cleaned, oiled, and reassemble it with no problems; making sure I was liberal on the oiling. (I normally run my Glocks pretty dry, but, that's because they're Glocks).

In preparation for "range day", the night before I loaded the mags with snap caps and tried to cycle them through the gun; major problems. I couldn't get through the 6 round mag without half of them jamming. What I found was loading the mags by hand seemed to cause the rounds to not line up correctly. I switch to my Uplula loader and things got better. I finally got through both the 6 and 8 round mags with no problems. I left the slide locked back that night.

First Range Day: I had 100 rounds of Blazer Brass FMJ 124 grain and 20 rounds of Winchester JHP 147 grain. I ended up shooting just over 100 rounds with only 1 FTE. (Although I have to admit, the first round out of this tiny shooter almost knocked me on my bottom; wasn't expecting that kind of recoil.)

Second Range Day: Blazer Brass FMJ 124 grain, American Eagle FMJ 124 grain, Winchester NATO FMJ 124 grain, Winchester JHP 147 grain, and Federal Hydra-Shock 124 grain. Again, just over 100 rounds with No FTEs or FTFs.

I'm giddy with joy. Side note: Odd, the Blazer seemed to have much more of a "kick" than any of the other stuff I put through it.

So, in conclusion, it appears I am one of the few who have a working Kimber Solo right out of the box. (Now I have probably just jinxed myself and my next range visit will end up with a jamomatic!)
DOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-09-2015, 09:57 AM   #2

Welcome from Michigan, congrats on the new Solo. Hope she keeps running good for you. Some do, some don't.
Chuck43 likes this.
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:25 AM   #3

Still waiting on my DC, starting to get impatient.
Chuck43 likes this.
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2015, 12:30 PM   #4

Welcome to the KT Forum from Fla.Congrats on the Solo,sounds like you got a "keeper".
Chuck43 likes this.
MPO Southy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:49 PM   #5

Welcome to KT
Chuck43 likes this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:22 PM   #6

Welcome to the the forum from Ohio. Always happy to hear good reports about the Solo.
Chuck43 likes this.

KEEP CALM AND RETURN FIRE

NRA Life Member
Dude22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:51 PM   #7

Welcome to th crazy house. Glad you like your new Kimber

Chuck43 likes this.
Zoomybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:52 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:54 AM   #9
Ski

Welcome from Michigan. Glad to hear your Solo is running out of the gate. I hope my STS will operate as well when it returns from the New York.
Ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:24 AM   #10
DOS

Thanks all for the warm welcome...

New update:

While practicing with my Springfield EMP; just for fun, I decided to run some 115 grain through the Solo... It worked with no problems at all, I didn't even have to put a "death grip" on it (limp wrist).

Looks like I really hit the jackpot!
Chuck43, Dude22 and Hoffbrew like this.
DOS is offline   Reply With Quote