Magazine insertion - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Solo Forum

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2015, 02:49 PM   #1

Magazine insertion

Hi folks. New here, just got a Carry DC. I really like it, feels great in the hand, and I love the size.

I'm getting familiar with the gun, managed to figure out the slide lock and the correct way to catch that little spring when reassembling.

Question: I'm not sure I'm inserting magazines correctly. If I leave the slide closed, then a loaded clip doesn't want to seat fully. There is a click, and if I stop there then the clip sticks out maybe 1/8". I CAN get it to seat all the way by pressing harder, in that case there's a 2nd click, and it's all the way in. But it's more pressure than I'm comfortable with, to get it to fully seat.

However, when the slide is locked back, which would be typical in a live fire situation, the magazine just slips right in and fully seats with out having to lean on it. There is some sort of spring inside that pushes back when the slide is closed, and there's no resistance at all when the slide is locked open.

The instructions don't address this - they seem to assume the slide is fully closed when inserting a mag. But the instructions fail to mention some other nuances also, so not sure I fully believe them.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Will the action cycle correctly even if it seems like I'm (somewhat) forcing the clip in? Or should I just always lock the slide back when inserting a mag? I don't like the feel, and I haven't seen this sort of difference (slide open vs slide closed) on any other gun.

I've been sitting here fooling with it in my office - won't have a chance to go fire it for a couple days so hoping to figure a few things out.

Last edited by CanyonCreek; 11-18-2015 at 03:23 PM.
CanyonCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-18-2015, 03:06 PM   #2

That sounds correct, I dont have the Solo today to confirm but will check it out when I get home. I think I have to hit the mag pretty good to click in...
Hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:15 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to the iceman
That is normal and with slide closed you have to push the mag harder because it is is pushing against bottom of slide all normal just shove it in there
Oreste, YuK and JC45 like this.
the iceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2015, 04:34 PM   #4

.....and use a little K-Y..... For those extra moments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoffbrew likes this.

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:16 AM   #5

Originally Posted by CanyonCreek View Post
I CAN get it to seat all the way by pressing harder, in that case there's a 2nd click, and it's all the way in. But it's more pressure than I'm comfortable with, to get it to fully seat.
The proper way to insert the magazine? Insert it and push it all the way up, then SLAM it with the heel of your hand. If you bleed, then you did it too hard. If it hurts, get over it. At least you know that your magazine is properly inserted and your gun will be reliable. If your concern is damaging your gun, forget about it. Your gun will be fine.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:18 AM   #6

Got me to wondering....will have to check the difference.
Markie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:21 PM   #7

I know this has been answered, I did confirm that this is correct.
Hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:42 PM   #8

Canyon just push it in firmly you don't have to slam it or any of that drama just push it in it will click.
YuK likes this.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:50 PM   #9

I've been loading and shooting guns for about 48 years. Put plenty of magazines into guns. Never had a gun that took so much force.

I'm having serious trouble with this gun. I've gotten exactly two good clips through it, with Winchester 115gr target loads. My 147gr defense loads don't feed at all - the hollow points seem to hang a little on the edge of the clip or the ramp. The 124gr Winchester NATO rounds cycle maybe 50% of the time, and from the pop in my hand they are pretty stout. And now having worked about 30 rounds through it, I've had 3 soft strikes that didn't fire (new factory ammo). I get a dent in the primer so it's trying....

I was in a tactical class all day Saturday, had the instructor look at it, make sure I wasn't missing something obvious. He couldn't get it to work reliably either. Gave up on the Kimber about 5 minutes into the class and used my Glock - I've fired 3000 rounds through it and never one single glitch. Kind of weird that my Glock 19 was the backup to my backup.

Gun goes back to Kimber tomorrow. Won't feed, won't shoot, won't cycle. Very disappointing for a premium priced gun. Currently I have less than 0 trust in it. It had better get better.

Last edited by CanyonCreek; 11-22-2015 at 09:12 PM.
CanyonCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 09:35 PM   #10

What can I say I think yer better off in tasticle class for all that's worth

Tags
clip, magazine, solo