DIY Loose right safety fix - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Solo Forum

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2015, 02:36 PM   #1

DIY Loose right safety fix

Does your SOLO's right side safety wiggle independently of the left? Mine did and it was very frustrating because it felt like it was going to fall off of my new $1200 Premium Defence pistol (Solo CDP). Well here's a fix if you don't want to send it back to the mother ship and wait weeks to get it back. Pull the 2 roll pins out with needle nose pliers and then remove the right side lever by pulling or gently prying it out. You'll notice it has 2 small holes drilled through the shaft that are much larger than the pins you just removed. That's why it feels loose. The roll pins really only fit snugly in the hollow shaft of the left safety lever. Apply a little locktite to shaft of the right lever and reassemble. If you have the newer model Solo your pins where a little high before you removed them; don't push them down flush. Leave them like before about 1/16 up. The earlier models were flush but they changed them in the last couple of years. Apply a little locktite around the now installed pins and now you've just fixed 2 problems for the price of one. Your lever doesn't wiggle and your pins won't come loose and jamb up your gun. PS : wait about a half hour to let the locktite set before try to wiggle test the safety. It WILL work, just be patient. Remember: if you ain't handsome you got to be handy. I'm pulling for you; we're all in this together.
MPO Southy and RustyIron like this.

Last edited by Cucamonga kid; 12-17-2015 at 07:02 PM.
Cucamonga kid is online now   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-15-2015, 05:51 PM   #2

As an after thought, how the heck does something like that get through QC????
Old 12-15-2015, 05:57 PM   #3

Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
As an after thought, how the heck does something like that get through QC????
The same way General Motors let 2.6 million faulty ignition switches leave their car assembly plants resulting in over 100 deaths..

It just happens whether it's a Solo, a car or the chicken that you eat...

Nothing is fool proof....

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/gm-ignit...th-toll-rises/
Cucamonga kid likes this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2015, 06:27 PM   #4

For some folks, It's all about the almighty dollar not pride in craftsmanship I guess.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:52 PM   #5

You know something Cuca, things go out of factories every day with a defect and I get that...

Now when it comes to the Solo, I get that also...I was one of the loudest screamers on this forum when mine didn't function as I thought an $800 gun should have...I bitched and moaned so loud that I had many members pm'ing me telling me to give a break and shut the fuck up..

You know what I did ?? I sent it back to Yonkers and they fixed it and when it came back we put almost 800 FLAWLESS rounds through it...

GiGi wanted to sell it to buy her Ultra Carry and I had a buyer for it and she sold it...I told the guy up front what we had been through and if he ever had an issue with it I would buy it back, no questions asked..

I talked to the guy about 6 months ago and he already put another 1K plus through it without a hiccup...

Moral of my story is, yeah products do leave the factory with problems, but Kimber took care of us and made me a believer in their customer service...

Proud owner of 4 Kimbers and counting...

Marshall
YuK, the iceman, Trex and 1 others like this.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:58 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
For some folks, It's all about the almighty dollar not pride in craftsmanship I guess.
Cucamonga Kid I think your on to something. Either the employee is afraid to speak up because he may make a fellow worker look bad or they really do not have that pride in Craftmanship. Which is really bad because we build so little in comparison to a few short years ago.
Cucamonga kid likes this.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 07:06 PM   #7

Originally Posted by swca View Post
Cucamonga Kid I think your on to something. Either the employee is afraid to speak up because he may make a fellow worker look bad or they really do not have that pride in Craftmanship. Which is really bad because we build so little in comparison to a few short years ago.
I often think when I read about the problems that others have had with their Kimbers and wonder if it's my Irish luck that I have 4 that have never given be an issue or made the trip back to the mothership...

All I do is clean-lube-shoot-repeat and they have not failed me and that's after 10K+ rounds and counting...
YuK and Cucamonga kid like this.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:26 PM   #8

Originally Posted by jms-stlou View Post
You know something Cuca, things go out of factories every day with a defect and I get that...
Marshall
I'm just saying the last person to inspect it and said "good enough" should get an attitude adjustment or possibly move on to a new career; one that they really want do. If I was their boss I would aid them in that endevor.
Marshall likes this.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:40 PM   #9

Actually my first post is now seeming counter productive to better QC. Please disregard, send it back and let CS fix it.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:44 PM   #10

Let's all bow our heads for the mens prayer. "I'm a man; but I can change; if I have to. I guess"
Trex likes this.

Search tags for this page

how to fix a loose ambi safety on a kimber solo

Click on a term to search for related topics.