Thinking of a getting a solo - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Solo Forum

Like Tree95Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2015, 08:24 PM   #1

Thinking of a getting a solo

Hello all,

I am thinking of getting a solo for carry. Currently I carry a Shield 9, but for some reason I just am not satisfied with it. When I go to the range I sometimes leave a little disappointed. Yes, I no the shield is a great gun, but I recently got and ultra carry, so that has become my new carry as of late. But I still want something a little smaller.
So my question is, should I stay with the shield or, even after reading some of the not so good reviews on the solo, do I go for it. Really not wanting a new gun just to get a new gun though, but with enough good and positive reviews will get a solo. Or maybe even a sig. Just am really liking Kimber right now.
So thanks in advance for all the info I hope to receive , both agreed and not agreed with.
Oh, the forum has been a great help, so thanks a bunch for the help.
memphisbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-26-2015, 08:35 PM   #2

Sig P938 hands down! Or wait a while for the Micro 9
Hoffbrew likes this.

Last edited by Cucamonga kid; 12-26-2015 at 08:39 PM.
Cucamonga kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:54 PM   #3

Or a Micro 380. Or a pepper blaster, but not a Solo to bet your life on. JMHO

Old 12-26-2015, 09:51 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to the iceman
Memphis most of the people on the solo hates the solo .they are sig lovers,my solo and many many others has been perfect.i have a sig P938 also and it has not been anywhere as good as my solo.my solo has well over 2000 rounds thru it closer to 3000 no problems ,so it's your choice I don't want to have to fool with a gun with a hammer I want to be able to pull it and pull the trigger.yer choice
Nellybelle and YuK like this.
the iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 10:07 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to the iceman
I intended to say the solo forum🙃
the iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:09 AM   #6

The Shield is a good little gun. It's kind of plain, and but she'll go bang when you need it. The Solo is downright sexy, but a finicky little tart. If anything is imperfect, she'll fail to fire or jam. Google it if you don't believe me.

Granted, little machines are going to be less tolerant than big ones, so bad things are more likely to happen than with a full size 1911. They're more susceptible to misfeeds, misfires, and jams. Suppose you have a misfire. with your S&W, or Sig, or Kahr, or Ruger, you slam that magazine, rack that slide, and pull that trigger. With the Solo, the procedure is to remove the magazine and set it aside, rack the slide so that the unfired round goes down the magazine well, reinstall the magazine, rack the slide, and then fire the gun. I know you think I'm crazy, but this is the exact procedure recommended by Sergio at Kimber's customer service and confirmed by Shaula, another customer service rep.

If you're intending to use the Solo just to punch holes in paper, that should be fine. But if you're looking for a self-defense weapon, you need to ask yourself if you'll have the time to go through all that monkey motion, or if you'd be better off with a rock in your pocket that you can throw at your adversary.

If you must have a prettier pocket 9mm, skip the Solo and wait another six months for Kimber to release their single action pocket 9 and hope that there are no bugs with the first ones to roll off the line. Or just go out and buy a Sig P938. If you MUST have a striker fired pocket 9, get the Glock.
Chuck43 and Cucamonga kid like this.

Last edited by RustyIron; 12-29-2015 at 10:48 AM.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 03:08 AM   #7

Memphis, I would see if you could rent some of these small guns and give them a test run first. Some may just fit your hand better. Some may just shoot better for you. You might like the sights or trigger on one.

You said you really didn't want a new gun just to get one. Go shoot whatever you can get your hands on and then make you decision.

I don't own a Solo but from what I've read from Kimber owners it wouldn't be my first choice for EDC.
Cucamonga kid likes this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 03:21 AM   #8

I hate to agree with some of the above comments but as a Solo owner I think you will be more disappointed than satisfied with the Solo.

For their cost I expected a gem of an EDC pistol. Instead I have a nice looking pistol that I don't trust to carry for self defense. I would stick with the ultra carry for now while you try out some of the micro nines out there.

I'm not a Glock 43 fan but a few of my coworkers have picked them up and the ugly piece of plastic works.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Cucamonga kid and JC45 like this.
aguila327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 03:31 AM   #9

I'm

Memphis, I don't hate the solo, nor do I love my P938. They are tools, inanimate object's; machines, if you will, to perform a function. That function is to save your life if needed. A tool by definition is an object designed and intended to make your work easier. I don't get emotional over tools. The solo is a little pre-Madonna. It's beautiful but it's way too high maintenance for such an important task. Your self defense side arm must be reliable right out of the box and easy to operate. Before you decide, get your hands on a solo and try to rack that slide back to the furthest rearward position and see what kind of force it takes to do that; then realize, that when you have a fully loaded magazine installed, it takes about twice the force to pull that slide back to chamber around. That is where most of the jams occur, so it is recommended to lock the slide back first, then insert the loaded magazine and release the slide with the slide stop.
It also takes an unreasonable amount of force to press on the magazine release to drop a full magazine. Holding the solo in your shooting hand only, it is nearly impossible to do with your thumb alone, You must press up on the magazine releasing the pressure, then push the magazine release,hold it, and then the magazine will drop.
JC45 likes this.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:46 AM   #10
Super Moderator

When it came to picking out a small easily concealed gun I seriously looked at both the Kimber Solo and the Sig P938. I wasn't deterred by the reported problems with the Solo, what turned me off to it was fact that it required premium ammo to function. I enjoy shooting my guns at the range and if a gun won't function on the reloads I use then I'm sorry it doesn't make the cut. I went with the Sig P938 and I haven't found a round it doesn't like from the weakest reloads to +P ammo.