What the ?? Solo Saga-Final Chapter - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Solo Forum

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2016, 01:56 PM   #1

What the ?? Solo Saga-Final Chapter

After shooting a friend's Solo, I instantly wanted one and within a month, May 2015, I was a very proud owner. During the pistol's first trip back to the factory, I mentioned this to my shooting friend and he said he had to return his once also. Then I started researching around and found this to be common problem. If I had known of this common problem, I think, I still would have purchased the Solo. After all it is a good feeling and good looking pistol. Now 4 trips to back to the factory maybe a record, and I was fine with all that until the Solo came apart. (Feel free to look at my other posts.) I am NOT bad mouthing Kimber or the Solo, only relating my story. You all can or will draw your own conclusions. We have this Forum to discuss problems and share information. The slide cover plate almost coming off was my last straw. I would never, ever have any confidence in carrying this pistol. Would you guys have waited 4 times? The Customer Service initially told me nothing was found wrong with the pistol and he said that maybe the pistol was not right for me. I ask about the cover plate coming loose and he told me they were not returning my Solo. I took his comments as Kimber was blaming me for the Solo having problems and was a little upset. I started shooting (pistol and rifle) competitively in the Navy in about 1978. I asked the CS what Kimber is offering me? He said I could have a new Solo like the one I had or I could pay for an upgrade to another in the Solo line or the 1911 line. He suggested I look at the 1911's. Well, I am now the very proud owner of a Raptor Pro.
I think it is nonsense to say the Solo can not handle +P ammo. As mentioned here numerous, Kimber states, "Solo is designed to function optimally using premium hollow point self defense factory ammo. One of the 3 examples listed is the Hornady TAP JHP. This is a +P ammo according to Hornady's website. The END.
Metal Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-04-2016, 02:22 PM   #2

You have the patience of a saint; my solo was only YONKERED twice before I gave up.
Oreste, Metal Storm and cousinmark like this.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:31 PM   #3

Glad it worked out for you and Kimber made good on their brand by offering you a model better suited for your use.
I think I agree with Kimber, the Solo was just not the gun for you and your intended use.
Metal Storm likes this.
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2016, 02:38 PM   #4

Congrats on the Pro Raptor....Sorry ya had to go through all of that to get it...
Cucamonga kid and JC45 like this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:40 PM   #5

Originally Posted by Trex View Post
Glad it worked out for you and Kimber made good on their brand by offering you a model better suited for your use.
I think I agree with Kimber, the Solo was just not the gun for you and your intended use.
Yup, Kimber did good giving a replacement. But I cannot agree with your statement that "the gun was not for you". The gun was a lemon; don't blame the buyer.
Chuck43, 2sharp2, Oreste and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Cucamonga kid; 01-04-2016 at 02:43 PM.
Cucamonga kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:48 PM   #6

Just for clarification, it was not an even trade, I did pay for the upgrade. I also went to the dark side and have joyfully carried a glock 43 and using the left over 9 mm. Expensive Lemonade.
Chuck43, Dude22 and Cucamonga kid like this.
Metal Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 04:10 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
Yup, Kimber did good giving a replacement. But I cannot agree with your statement that "the gun was not for you". The gun was a lemon; don't blame the buyer.
Whether the gun was a lemon or not is not the issue of contention.
The Solo is not made to shoot +P ammo as a steady diet and for that reason the Solo was not for him if that was his intended use.
The fact that Kimber offered him a new Solo replacement and he chose something other than the Solo pretty much confirms that the Solo was not for him.
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 04:20 PM   #8

"yonkered"

Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
You have the patience of a saint; my solo was only YONKERED twice before I gave up.
...If my micro doesn't shoot really nice when she gets back, I'll be talking with my area sales rep again and borrowing that term :-)
Cucamonga kid likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 04:30 PM   #9

I agree with Cuca you showed extreme patience. Pretty sure you had way more patience than me and gave the Solo every chance possible.
Congrats on the Pro Raptor, it is a fine pistol.
Cucamonga kid likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 04:48 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Trex View Post
Whether the gun was a lemon or not is not the issue of contention.
The Solo is not made to shoot +P ammo as a steady diet and for that reason the Solo was not for him if that was his intended use.
The fact that Kimber offered him a new Solo replacement and he chose something other than the Solo pretty much confirms that the Solo was not for him.
Well I just went back and read metal storms previous posts and he had all kinds of issues failure to feed, failure to eject, failure to cycle; he tried all kinds of premium self-defense ammo and I'm sure it wasn't all plus P. I agree, I was told that it's not made to fire plus P all the time. But I don't think he did. The only way I can agree with you is to agree that, yes, a lemon was not for him nor would it be for you or me or anybody else. Remember at the beginning of this first post he said that he fired his friends solo and it must've worked really great because that's why he went and bought one. Have you ever heard of any other manufacturer of any specific model saying that this gun may not be for everybody? I never have. Where there any warnings or disclaimers in their sales promotions about this potential issue of owner incompatibility?
Respectfully, Cucamonga
Oreste and JC45 like this.