thinking of getting a Solo DC for an everyday carry (EC) - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Solo Forum

Like Tree92Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2016, 10:19 AM   #1

thinking of getting a Solo DC for an everyday carry (EC)

So, I'm itching for a new EC. I've looked at pretty much all brands Kimber, S&W, colt, ruger, glock, HK, FNH, Sig, and Kahr. I've had a hard time narrowing down my choices. But it's looking like the Kimber solo DC, Sig P320 sub compact, Glock 26 or 43, and Kahr K9. I've been leaning towards the Kimber because 1. It's a Kimber, 2. It's a killer looking pistol, 3. It's a Kimber. I read a lot of good reviews and have heard nothing but good things. That is until I started reading some of the posts in this forum and hearing some of the horror stories of catastrophic failures and parts flying everywhere. So I guess my questions and concerns are:
1. how reliable are they overall?
2.are they really that finicky about ammunition?
3.Kimber's customer service on repairs and replacement?

I don't want this thread to concentrate on only the bad so I look forward to an overflow of good reviews and good stories to help me persuade myself to getting a solo.DC....that is unless the majority recommends a better Kimber carry model as an EC.

Thanks for the advice and help.
HbDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-21-2016, 10:34 AM   #2

I am presently constrained by my New Year's resolution from giving you my opinion of the Kimber solo. Sorry 🤐
Old 01-21-2016, 10:50 AM   #3

image.jpeg
However I think I am allowed to say that my P938 is just awesome.
Chuck43, GoingSolo and Husker like this.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:52 AM   #4

Absolutely. That's a drooler.
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:01 AM   #5

I've already written enough about the Solo to keep you busy for the rest of the day. Search the forums if you care to. I'd feel negligent if I didn't suggest other options for you. Take a look at the Sig P938. I find it far more reliable than the Solo. Further, it is much easier to clear a jam or misfire on the Sig. But I think the BEST gun in the class for the average user is the S&W Shield. It's a hair bigger, not nearly as pretty, but it's stone-cold reliable and is a joy to shoot.
Chuck43 and Cucamonga kid like this.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:04 AM   #6

I have 2 Solo's with no problems. The higher end ammo doesn't bother me, I am not feeding 100 rounds through it everyday. I really like to shoot my 1911's and I will take a Solo with me to the range, I usually just feed about 3-4 mags to make sure it is running well. The Solo is not a range gun for me, backup only. It is a great gun, feels good in my hand and fits well in my pocket or on my hip for summer.

Always be ready - 5.11
Hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:08 AM   #7

I have the 938, Solo and G27. They are all great. Sig and Glock have never missed a step. Solo stumbled out of the gate. Sent it to Kimber (spectacular Customer Service) got it back and it's been solid ever since. I carry it more than any other weapon I own. I'm about to work an RCP into my EDC family. But the Solo is (for me) one of the easiest, most concealable, smoothest and versatile choice for all season EDC. All yhe options you mentioned are great options. As my grandad liked to say, just "choose your pick." Get the one YOU want. If you don't, you will eventually.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:10 AM   #8

I really appreciate all of this information. I really want to like the Solo DC because it looks and feels great but when it comes down to it looks won't protect me and my family. It's a shame, because that Solo DC loos like it has so much potential.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:24 AM   #9

I fell in love with the Solo from day one of the marketing blitz. I bought one about a year ago and it was having sporadic FTF issues. After 100's of rounds its finally working 98% of the time. one thing I've noticed is it works best with its 6 round mag and only when there are 5 rounds in the mag and one in the pipe. I'm a big kimber fan but I have to say if you want a sure thing get the Glock 43.

Better price and it eats anything and everything I feed it. Its not pretty but it works. I have nothing bad to say about the other weapons mentioned but these are the only two I own and shot extensively.
aguila327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 12:21 PM   #10

The Solo is sexy as hell, but there are better choices for reliability if you need to depend on it. 3 were mentioned. P938, Shield, and Glock. One of those 3 would be my choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote